Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun dealer..

Options
  • 28-02-2006 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

I'm considering purchasing a pump-action shotgun.
    Considering either Mossberg, Savage or Benelli..
    Can anyone recommend a gunshop that I should check out?

E.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Every gun dealer in the country carries shotguns, have a look at this thread- http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054860931 for reviews of many dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

I know that all of them "do" shotguns but have found that quite a few are prejudiced towards over & under or side-by-sides....

E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I'm trying to re-collect the contents of various gunrooms I've seen recently, and while you're right about the preponderance of side-by-side and O/U guns, they've all had a good few semi-autos and usually a few pumps too.
    Pumps never gained the popularity here that they have in the States, so dealers don't carry many of them, but they ARE out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭You

Last time I was in Courtough there were several Pump actions there.
    I'm a rifle man myself, so didn't take much notice of the shotguns.
    But there were at least 2-3 Pump Actions on display that day.....

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

I had the use of a Mossberg pump for a while - found it a complete balls to opperate.
    Much happier with the Beretta semi that I have now but I put about 150 - 200 cartridges through it every week and it takes SERIOUS cleaning or you start to run into problems.

A few friends both the Mossberg's from Jeffers in Bandon - were reasonable enough I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

have a benelli semi auto really nice gun great finish on it wvery part of the gun is either chromed or blacked so will take alot of abuse nice handling and not that heavy mechanical action as opposed to the beretta gas opererated ones only fault is it doesnt recycle the 28g cartridges that well but that was when it was new havent tried any recently but id say they might work after it being well run in

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

I Have a Winchester superx3 semi-auto all black senthetic really nice gun never gave me any bother also holds 12 in the mag:D :D aldough about every 300 rounds she needs cleaning more so if i use them dirty french rounds with each shot some of the spent powder comes back into the gun with the recoil but it only takes an extra few min to clean:) check out www.winchesterarms/superx3.com

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Sorry that should be..
    www.winchesterguns.com
    and its superx2 practial MK 2:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Remington[if you are rich] or Mossberg[if you are tight in pocket] or Maverick which is an el cheapo version of Mossberg.The first two are used by most LE and US armed forces as fighting shotguns.So they will take abuse a plenty and have an expected life time of somthing like 500,000 rounds .So you cant go wrong with them.Remington still has a lead INMO as most of it still has steel parts.Mossbergs saftey catch is plastic [replace with an after market steel saftey catch]and so is the trigger group.Try for an older model if you can get one.Gold dust if you find the most toughest of the pumps ever made in any shape the Itacha shotgun .
    Worst POS I ever owned was the Winchester 1300XTR.Stay well away from Winchester,their manufacturing process in the 1980s &90s seemed to be to superglue their guns together.
    Where to get?Any of the gun shops around Munster have one or two tucked away in stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

mayhem# wrote:
    I'm considering purchasing a pump-action shotgun.
    Considering either Mossberg, Savage or Benelli..
    Can anyone recommend a gunshop that I should check out?

E.

Mayhem,

I bought a new Mossberg from Jeffersport in Bandon Co. Cork. Find it excellent & have no complaints. Synthetic forearm & stock takes off some of the weight.

TJ911...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Trojan911 wrote:
    Mayhem,

I bought a new Mossberg from Jeffersport in Bandon Co. Cork. Find it excellent & have no complaints. Synthetic forearm & stock takes off some of the weight.

TJ911...

Very nice, how much did that set you back?

E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

mayhem# wrote:
    Very nice, how much did that set you back?

E.

Think it was about €450.00 off the shelf. It comes with three chokes, however I have since sent off to the States and purchased a Titan TRUGLO multi choke system for it, much quicker when adjusting the chokes...

TJ911...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

To start with what do you want the gun for??? Then I can make a suggestion. my brother has had a benelli and a beretta semi auto, both of which are super guns, a joy to shoot and not that bad to clean with a good cleaning kit

Vegeta: tell your brother to contact his gun dealer if the Beretta is a Teknys - they're being recalled at the moment.
    They want everything back - case, chokes etc.

thelurcher wrote:
    Vegeta: tell your brother to contact his gun dealer if the Beretta is a Teknys - they're being recalled at the moment.
    They want everything back - case, chokes etc.

No its an extrema, but thanks for that I was very nearly going to buy one of them myself

Mine has the problem that they're recalling them for - the finish on the action is 'bubbling'. I had thought it was somthing I had done - but obviously not.
    Don't know what is causing it :confused: maybe somthing along the lines of the old problem with Land Rovers - the way the different metals react to each other?
    Or maybe it's actually stress fractures!!!!!!

At least I'll hopefully be getting a new gun out of it.

thelurcher wrote:
    Mine has the problem that they're recalling them for - the finish on the action is 'bubbling'. I had thought it was somthing I had done - but obviously not.
    Don't know what is causing it :confused: maybe somthing along the lines of the old problem with Land Rovers - the way the different metals react to each other?
    Or maybe it's actually stress fractures!!!!!!

At least I'll hopefully be getting a new gun out of it.

Yeah a new gun is sweet all right and its the off season now as well which is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jcatony

thelurcher wrote:
    I had the use of a Mossberg pump for a while - found it a complete balls to opperate.
    Much happier with the Beretta semi that I have now but I put about 150 - 200 cartridges through it every week and it takes SERIOUS cleaning or you start to run into problems.

A few friends both the Mossberg's from Jeffers in Bandon - were reasonable enough I thought.

I had pretty much the same experience. Traded in a pedretti o/u for a new mossberg pump back in 1995. I Found it quite tough and reliable and it never gave any trouble. However, i found the pump very heavy and cumbersome. Didnt handle at all well. Traded it for a lanber semi, excellent gun. Light and very well balanced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Jcatony,
    That is intresting what you sqaid on the "new "mossbergs.I have an 80s Mossberg and a 90s Moossberg model .The 90s does seem "stiffer"in the action,the 80s is like slick lightning.I put it down to the fact that Mossberg has boosted their production since the 80s and production methods changed.IE the tolerances are tighter/looser.But I found the more it is shot the easier it becomes to work.Plus they usually have a plastic foregrip,that doesnt fit right for me anyway in my big hands,and this can be a problem as well for alot of people ,the foregrip mightnt suit them.Also using a pump is a different experiance if you "grew up "shooting doubles or semis.A lot are put of by working the action and disrupting their aim for the second shot.

Advertisement