Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translation Confirmation needed for Tattoo

• 28-02-2006 2:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Togh do chinniúint féin

Could someone fluent in Irish translate this into English and give me a pronouciation.

I don't want to end up with 'Man with small penis' tattooed to my inner forearm!

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

"Choose your own life" would be my read on it. As long as the word "bod" doesn't appear you are fine. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

I'm looking for Choose your own fate

Is there a better word than chinniúint to use for Fate ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

road/path/life/fate are all pretty much interchangeable here for cinniúint IMO.

It changed my life becomes chuir sé cor i mo chinniúint

Pronunciation is as follows
    Togh do chinniúint féin
    [tau or toh] [duh] [kinunt][fain (as in rain)]

That's great

Thanks so much for your help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

MattKid wrote:
    Togh do chinniúint féin

Could someone fluent in Irish translate this into English and give me a pronouciation.

I don't want to end up with 'Man with small penis' tattooed to my inner forearm!

Thank you in advance

I would prefer:

"Roghnaigh do chinniúint féin"

I think that would be the more usual form, but I'm open to correction.

• Advertisement

Hmm

Thanks for that one too.

I like the Togh one as I think it is more in keeping with my initial thoughts.

The reason for the tattoo is to remind me every day that the results in my life are directly dependant on every choice, action/inaction I make.

I know, a postit note would probably do the job!!!

Would there be a better Irish phrase to use for that meaning rather than translating from English?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Mísh&#225 wrote: »
    I would prefer:

"Roghnaigh do chinniúint féin"

I think that would be the more usual form, but I'm open to correction.

I agree with Míshásta. "Roghnaigh" really is better when you're not talking about selection in the form of voting and elections. I've never heard the verb "Togh" being used except in the form of voting or electing. It's not strictly wrong grammatically, but it's really just not colloquial speech for what you're trying to express. But hey it's your body that'll be scarred for life, not mine. Far be it from me to dictate.

I'll bow to your knowledge. I was just going on what I'd read on the two words in an online dictionary, thanks for your explanation.

Would you pronouce Roghnaigh 'Rohnay' ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement