Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish broadband customers help plz

Options
  • 28-02-2006 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

hi,i am considering ordering irish broadband breeze 2mb but am unsure about theyre latency.
    can you plz post what package you have followed by ping results to this site
    nad-diag.online.scee.com
    if you could ping it for a few minutes that would be great
    btw,anyone tried playing playstation 2 online or xbox live with it?how is it?any other comments/advice would be appreciated
    also,how is latency in general and do they supply a modem or a router
    thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Look at previous posts about IBB it clearly states stay away... Been there regreted it............Dont do it... Simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dillon_the_rabb

Hi

All I can say is don't even think about it. I had it for a total of three weeks, and they were three weeks from hell. Yes its fast, but it is also selective about what you can and cant do. For instance, I can surf the net, and visit most sites except ebay, I can use FTP, and two of my four email accounts wouldn't work.

My advice, don't bother, find another ISP, they're all better than IBB.

Cheers

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

stay away unless its your last resort and you have exhausted all other options !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Hi

All I can say is don't even think about it. I had it for a total of three weeks, and they were three weeks from hell. Yes its fast, but it is also selective about what you can and cant do. For instance, I can surf the net, and visit most sites except ebay, I can use FTP, and two of my four email accounts wouldn't work.

My advice, don't bother, find another ISP, they're all better than IBB.

Cheers

Matt

I haven't heard that complaint before. I find them unreliable, but I've never found anything I couldn't do with them. It seems every port is open, every IP address accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dan99989

Stay. Away.

Its as simple as that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

dan99989 wrote:
    Stay. Away.

Its as simple as that :)

Yes, totally agreed here also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I would disagree with the above posters. I have IBB 1Mb Breeze since last November and have had no problems. Agreed that the after sales support needs some work but are any other wireless providers any better?
    I have never had any issues with accessing certain websites.
    I'll try those pings tonight.
    The provide a bog standard router.
    thegills

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

2mb breeze off the ballycoolin (d.15) mast for almost 2 years now.

no complaints.

oh and
    ping nad-diag.online.scee.com
    Ping statistics for 217.18.19.250:
    Packets: Sent = 20, Received = 20, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 20ms, Maximum = 42ms, Average = 27ms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

IBB should be a last resort broadband solution. They constantly oversell, it takes them the best part of half a year to do anything about it, and you won't get any refund due to having an unusable connection in the meantime.

I dumped em, and i've never been happier.

EDIT:
    Agreed that the after sales support needs some work but are any other wireless providers any better?
    After sales support doesn't "need some work", after sales support needs to be created. 60 mins waiting on the phone isn't acceptable. All emails being ignored isn't acceptable. Being told "the connection is fine" when you have 25% packetloss isn't acceptable. Being told "the connection is within normal working speeds" when you get a max of 30kB/sec and average of 10kB/sec isn't acceptable. Being told you'll be rung back and they never do isn't acceptable. Them refusing to let you speak to a superior isn't acceptable.

All in all, IBB isn't acceptable.

Digiweb have (so far) always rung back when they said they would, were very prompt with sending an engineer out to look at my setup (IBB failed to send one out 3 months after they promised they would). Digiweb even rang back twice to double check with me that my connection was ok. So far, Digiweb aftersales support is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Ping result;
    Min - 88ms
    Max - 228ms
    Avg - 142ms

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Netster

I was with them for a long and wasteful 12 months.

do not attempt to sign up ....they make dialup look good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

IBB should be a last resort broadband solution. They constantly oversell, it takes them the best part of half a year to do anything about it, and you won't get any refund due to having an unusable connection in the meantime.

I dumped em, and i've never been happier.

EDIT:

After sales support doesn't "need some work", after sales support needs to be created. 60 mins waiting on the phone isn't acceptable. All emails being ignored isn't acceptable. Being told "the connection is fine" when you have 25% packetloss isn't acceptable. Being told "the connection is within normal working speeds" when you get a max of 30kB/sec and average of 10kB/sec isn't acceptable. Being told you'll be rung back and they never do isn't acceptable. Them refusing to let you speak to a superior isn't acceptable.

All in all, IBB isn't acceptable.

Digiweb have (so far) always rung back when they said they would, were very prompt with sending an engineer out to look at my setup (IBB failed to send one out 3 months after they promised they would). Digiweb even rang back twice to double check with me that my connection was ok. So far, Digiweb aftersales support is perfect.

Just found this while trawling through some IBB threads.
    I would agree with Mutant, however, I sent a registered letter to the CEO after I experienced all of the above.
    I swear to God, no exaggerating, my broadband is the best I ever had now.
    My friend is on Eircom 2MB and his doesn't come close to my 1MB with IBB.

Point of this post: If you are having alot of problems with them, forget Comreg, go straight to the desk of the CEO.
    I am very happy now and they also gave me 6 months free for my troubles (And for paying for something I didn't get) to boot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭richardo

There is a small group here who, at the mention of IBB come crawling out screaming that IBB are the worst thing ever invented. They are a minority.

I have been with them for nearly two years now, on the Bray mast. No problems. I have a constant 1.7 down and up.

Before I forget:
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\R>ping nad-diag.online.scee.com

Pinging nad-diag.online.scee.com [217.18.19.250] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 217.18.19.250: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=247
    Reply from 217.18.19.250: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=247
    Reply from 217.18.19.250: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=247
    Reply from 217.18.19.250: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=247

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 20ms, Maximum = 23ms, Average = 21ms

C:\Documents and Settings\R>

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Breeze or Ripwave?

Looks like Breeze.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

damn fine pings Richardo :p

your chances of a good service depend on the sector ( 90 degrees out of 360 degrees) on the mast , you could possibly be on the 'quiet' side of Bray and they may have oversold the 'busy' side of Bray

But many IBB customers do get the same good quality Breeze service as richardo ..for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

C:\>ping nad-diag.online.scee.com

Pinging nad-diag.online.scee.com [217.18.19.250] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 217.18.19.250: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=246
    Reply from 217.18.19.250: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=246

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Minimum = 15ms, Maximum = 16ms, Average = 15ms

ibb 2 meg in dublin 13
    average download speed of 410kB

love it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭richardo

@Watty - Sorry, should have mentioned - 2Mb Breeze. They are supposed to be upping it to 3Mb any day.

@Sponge Bob - Yes. I'm in Enniskerry. They originally wouldn't give me the service because I was "too far from the mast" [6.5Km]!. I'd say service is a little tighter on the North/South axis as that covers Bray and Greystones. They have since erected a mast nearer to me, but seeing as it hops via Bray I don't see the point in changing.

I just get a bit tired of these "Jaybus, don't go with IBB if you life depends on it" ranters. Of course there are people with bad experiences, but there are the silent majority who are perfectly happy.

Their service department used to be crap, but that is tightened up a lot. They now answer the phone within a few minutes [it used to be half an hour minimum].

I recently rang them about a rebate I reckoned they owed me due to an unplanned outage. They rang me back four times to give me the status of my query, and I got two e-mails. I also got my rebate.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'd say nearly all the IBB complains are about Ripwave, not Breeze. Ripwave is nearly an ISDN/Dialup wireless replacement rather than a full broadband product.

Ripwave is cheap and needs no install, but is no comparison with quality of Breeze product.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I used the 3 meg Breeze product in Galway for most of last year without any issues as I have mentioned before.
    Never had problems accessing any services or any latency issues.
    I've mentioned this on other threads before. You'll rarely hear about the people who are happy with the product, just those who arent.
    Kippy

They have improved an awful lot in the past year. Their nadir was about this time last year in terms of customer service AND billing AND continually overselling certain Masts as well.

In every one of these aspects IBB have improved, sometimes spectacularly and most noticeably in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Ive had ibb breeze 2mb(3mb soon hopefully) now for a few months and I have had no trouble with it... The speed drops down occasionaly but is usually at 1.9Mb or so.. For games like bf2 i get a ping of 40 or under to most uk servers..... I took a risk getting it with all the bad comments on here but I am happy.... Ive attatched a screenshot of my previous tests on irishisptest.com....Pretty good except fot the last few but another computer on my network may have been downloading....

Results Screenshot

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Point of this post: If you are having alot of problems with them, forget Comreg, go straight to the desk of the CEO.
    I am very happy now and they also gave me 6 months free for my troubles (And for paying for something I didn't get) to boot :D

Experienced something like this myself. I have slight problems with packet loss for short periods every 6 months. I just loose the plot on the phone with a manager and its fixed within a day or two. Am convinced they reduce your contention or prioritise your traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

These guys get a lot of negative comments here so credit where its due - I've just had probably one of the best support experience from any ISP I've used either in the UK or Ireland. I've had a rock solid 2Mb Breeze connection for about a year and a half but 2 weeks ago my connection went to ****e. 30-50% packet loss to the mast, let alone anywhere else in the IBB or wider network. The wife was getting very annoyed that the phone (VoIP) no longer worked, so I filled in a problem report on the IBB web page. This was the only annoyance as I never heard back from them. With more complaints about lack of phone I called IBB on Sat. Very helpful guy answered in under 2 mins and said that yes, my connection was bad and he'd try to fix it remotely. That didn't work so he said he'd put me down for a call out and they'd get back to me on Monday. I was very sceptical that I'd ever hear from them, but first thing Monday morning I got a call and the appointment was made for Tuesday morning between 9-1. Also that they'd call before turning up. True to their word a very helpful guy called to say he'd be 25 mins. I explained the problem and that I wasn't in but my wife was. He did a great job of fixing the issue and rang me back to say what he'd done. Actually moved me to a closer mast that had been installed since I got my connection and now everything is spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

The service has definitely improved alot.
    Its nice to see some good comments about them. It shows we are not all biased IBB haters.
    Let them know, we are all quick enough to hammer them when they are s***e.
    Send an email and let them know the service has improved noticeably.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Lol i thought everyone would be on 3mb by now.. :) and yea irishbroadband are the dogs bolloxs now... they have put alot of money and effort into upgrading there network, and they also have very helpful customer support (apart from the odd foreigner that doesn't speak English well) They were the ****test broadband provider around, But now probably one of the best with 3mb down/up.

very few are ACTUALLY on the long promised free 3mbits upgrade from 2mbits though :D Nevertheless its a good 2mbit package for most of their customers nowadays and the noise level sure has dropped.

maybe time to unsticky the sticky, thoughts ????

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pigheads still having awful problems. I have the Ripwave package though so maybe thats not as reliable as Breeze. Have it a month now and its worked properly for about 10% of the time. Have rang Customer Care a few times and in fairness they've been pretty good. Rang again last night and he put me onto a different signal closer to my house. Tried it again and it was worse if anything. Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

yeah there is actually a small group of customers on here out of ibbs whole customer range ..the few people who keep saying the service is crap over and over again in any thread they find about ibb..which i already read in someones post..they left when the servie was actually sh*t but now theyve no idea of what its like from what ive read and seen on here..theyd want to stop saying the breeze package is crap and confusing people when theyve no idea of the service these days..im really thinking of ghetting the 3mb package just after christmas if im still getting the odd ping spike with utv as i want to play online games and need a good ping

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Does this mean the sticky
    "Collating complaints against IBB." at the top of this forum
    should be removed.

I joined up with IBB (Breeze 2Mb) before reading boards. I'm glad I did. I started reading boards when I was waiting for them to set it up and I was worried by all the negative comments. In 6 months I've had no downtime (that I know of anyway) and I get the max speeds pretty much whenever I need them. With that said I think there's some downtime scheduled for tonight but they've sent me two emails over two weeks to remind me. I can live with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

and are the pings good when playing games..and yous dont get disconnects al the time do yous becuase that wouldnt be good while playing an online game :(

was palying a bit of e.t there tonight and i kept getting ping sikes going to 700 with utv..this happened a while back and now its happening again.. :(

Advertisement