Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

running a java program from javascript

Options
  • 28-02-2006 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

The title explains the problem anyone have any ideas on how I might be able to execute a command like "java -classpath . hello" from inside a javascript file or so that I could start up a java program which interacts with the javascript automatically when the javascript is executed.

Alternatively maybe i could execute a bat file with the command in it to execute the java program.

I realise there are some problem in javascript with regard to starting external programs anyone know a way around this.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Valehru

Not possible! If this feature was even remotely possible you could crush, rape, maim and pillage a users computer!

Just FYI....aim for a different approach!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭toString

look into creating an applet or Java web start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Valehru

Running an applet is a good idea but it is often bulkey and pointless to do so. The company I work for despises applets with a passion.

What exactly are you using the javascript for - Conditional Logic? Could you not do the same in a JSP page? would make things much easier I suppose.

You really must give us details about what you are trying to achieve should you wish us to give you some advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Well, it's sorta possible using JSObject. Search Sun's site for how to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭bazcaz

Its a thunderbird email client extension implemented mainly in javascript which talks to a piece of java by http.

I want to be able to start up the java from the thunderbird interface rather than having to start up the java independently each time I want to use the extension

I know there is a way of doing it ,its definitely not impossible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Try MozillaZine, afaik it is doable within the extension framework. Just can't recall how offhand.

ya i got it sorted thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭toString

bazcaz wrote:
    how, with MozillaZine?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

bazcaz wrote:

Yea please post solution here so that another who has the same issue can find it here.

var file = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/file/local;1"]
             .createInstance(Components.interfaces.nsILocalFile);
       file.initWithPath(PathToBatchFile);
       process = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/process/util;1"]
                            .createInstance(Components.interfaces.nsIProcess);
       process.init(file);
       var blocking=false;
       var argv=[];
       process.run(blocking,argv,argv.length);

The batch file holds the java command to run the program I want.

• Advertisement
Advertisement