Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bushy Park Skatpark!!!

Options
  • 28-02-2006 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hey, Fianna Fail are going forward with Bushy Park Skatepark! sure its not a great park, its just a big bowl with a couple of ledges around it but its still waaayyy better then nothing! construction is starting sometime in march and it will be complete by june! i know this because i read a little letter that came 2 my house and many houses around the area about it! it also had a picture of an old skool skater on it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

I think every political party will be claiming they got this any other park built. I'll vote for the first councillor to drop in!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bushy Park is in the Corpo area or South Dublin?

Neither is a Fianna Fail controlled council... Both have Fine Gael mayors, and have FG/Lab/Every Whos Not FF councils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭StJimmy

About time this gets the go-ahead.
    I was a meeting last year with the directors of this park and they said it would be open by January (two months ago...)
    Doesn't look too bad though...accross the road from my school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

hopefully when one gets built it will encorage them to hurry up with the others.
    looking forward to a new spot to skate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I think it'll bring terrible riff raff to my neighbourhood. And what about the kids who want to play tennis that are losing their court. And don't get me started on the noise polution it will cause.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭BigWilly

Scatpark?

Count me in :D

BigWillyStyle

FX Meister wrote:
    I think it'll bring terrible riff raff to my neighbourhood. And what about the kids who want to play tennis that are losing their court. And don't get me started on the noise polution it will cause.

Noise pollution? "riff raff"? Kids who actually play tennis on a council court?

Since when has Bushy Park been in Dublin 4? Theres an extra 10 digits on that postcode...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭skate4evr

FX Meister wrote:
    theres still like 10 other tennis courts for them to use, i was up there pretty much every day last summe and never once did i see more then 6 courts being used at once! its a concrete park so it wont be noisy at all, concrete absorbs sound. it's basically just a bowl to skate in and the bowl is curved up, that means it will just send all noise up and wont affect much around it. and as for riff raff... what does that even mean? you're just looking at stereotypes... nothing bad's gonna come of the park, and we need somewhere to skate! Is it not better that we skate somewhere we we're actually allowed to do it than somewhere that we're just gonna get thrown out of ? people go on about how childhood obesity is an uprising threat, so why do people object to another thing that could help get rid of it? the park's not only yours, its public and we're all entitled to use it! why should only people who like tennis be able to use it?

Excellant. I'll bring the kids along to play bowl tennis so.
    And it's a fact that any area that has a skatepark has seen a dramatic rise in graffiti as a result.

FX Meister wrote:
    And it's a fact that any area that has a skatepark has seen a dramatic rise in graffiti as a result.

I'd like to see you even attempt to prove that

• Advertisement

I don't need to prove it. I have seen it myself. Ramp crap in Drumcondra is a prime example.

FX Meister wrote:
    I don't need to prove it. I have seen it myself. Ramp crap in Drumcondra is a prime example.

Wonderful example of NIMBYism, makes claims and is entirely unable to back them up with fact. As is the case in 90% of cases where people protest about something that they either don't or don't want to understand; or for some odd reason fear. Are you scared about the concept of young people who might be wearing hoodies bringing down property prices or something?

yeah okay ramp n rail in drumcondra has alot of graffitti in its grounds! but its completly allowed by the owner, the have graffiti art competions there! just cuz u dont appreciate art doesnt mean u have 2 go whining about it

Sorry dude, I was talking about grafiti not art. And I didn't know the owners could give permission to tag other shops and public property in the vacinity

Well guess what? Skateboarding really has nothing to do with grafitti! You seem like a predjudice moan! "oh my god! theres some people skateboarding! they MUST have sprat paint with them and be tagging everywhere! oh no! its not actually doing anything to me personally but i dont like it anyway!!! waa!!!"

What in the name of god is sprat paint? Young kids are easily influenced, so while they pick up skateboarding because it's cool they will do the same when their mates start to do crappy tags everwhere. So when some spa paints his name all over the from of my business and I have to pay to have it removed that doesn't do anything to me personally. Think about that one4evr. Or at least until you grow up a little

Coincidentally Bushy park was one of the first places in Dublin I saw a Graffiti peice in the early 80's. Allthough a rather poor piece at least it was a start. Since that first wave graff in Ireland has come on leaps and bounds with some of the worlds top writers coming to Ireland for a yearly graffiti art festival in Drogheda.There has allways been links between skateboarding and graffiti as both reappropriate the urban wastelands for artistic expression.I think most skaters would agree they have far more in common with graff artists than with a lot of so called "extreme sports athletes".
    If someone gets into graffiti through skateboarding I think thats a good thing maybe they will find they are a talented artist.
    Crap tags piss graffiti artists off too, they are lazy art and give them a bad name, much in the same way as skaters are frustrated at being lumped in with "hey I'm extreme to the max" bonehead jocks.
    Spending the time perfecting your skills in a blackbook and bringing works of art to the drab mundanity of inner city architecture is to be applauded.

It all comes down to whether you believe doing art is more important than doing business.
    Thats a question there will allways be a left / right divide on.

FX Meister wrote:
    Sorry dude, I was talking about grafiti not art. And I didn't know the owners could give permission to tag other shops and public property in the vacinity

So you're anti graffiti eh......funny that not the impression I get from reading some of your other posts......
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=199796&page=3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭StJimmy

FX Meister wrote:
    Young kids are easily influenced, so while they pick up skateboarding because it's cool they will do the same when their mates start to do crappy tags everwhere. So when some spa paints his name all over the from of my business and I have to pay to have it removed that doesn't do anything to me personally.

Oh deary me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭f

FX Meister wrote:

first of all this person doesnt have a clue wat he/shes talkin about. ramp and rail is 2 stories and the noise comes from the second story. the park will be made of concrete r+r is made from wood more noise. there are no doubt hundreds of public tennis courts through out the are. you can bring ur kids down to my estate where weve go 2 that are rarely used, in an estate with more skaters than tennis players. tell me how this is fair. that there are thousands of football, gaelic, rugby, tennis, running tracks, and other pitches and 2 skateparks in dublin, neither of them being public.

you cant deny that skateboarding is a major sport in ireland now with a couple of tousand skaters at different levels. these people(bladers and bx aswell) need facilities.

• Advertisement

f wrote:
    first of all this person doesnt have a clue wat he/shes talkin about. ramp and rail is 2 stories and the noise comes from the second story. the park will be made of concrete r+r is made from wood more noise. there are no doubt hundreds of public tennis courts through out the are. you can bring ur kids down to my estate where weve go 2 that are rarely used, in an estate with more skaters than tennis players. tell me how this is fair. that there are thousands of football, gaelic, rugby, tennis, running tracks, and other pitches and 2 skateparks in dublin, neither of them being public.

you cant deny that skateboarding is a major sport in ireland now with a couple of tousand skaters at different levels. these people(bladers and bx aswell) need facilities.

Hear hear! Stick it to em!

shagman wrote:
    So you're anti graffiti eh......funny thats not the impression I get from reading some of your other posts......
    Quiet down you. You're blowing my cover. I'm a born again anti-graffitist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭h-street23

I thought yer man, FX was being being drol at first. Then I realised he's just a contentious goit.

NIMBY,well why can't we skate when drinking to abandon is enshrined in the ****ing Irish constitution? I think all the residents of Greystones, where I live would be happier with a local skate park, rather than more working class louts ganging up and causing mayhem around the leafy 'burbs.

Most skaters are ok. Ireland is decidedly not ok.Bleh, I'll just go on a rant if I stay online any longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭asto

he's a stuborn retard!! yeah FX you heard me!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

shagman wrote:
    So you're anti graffiti eh......funny that not the impression I get from reading some of your other posts......

You caught him red handed there Shagman.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

MYOB wrote:
    Noise pollution? "riff raff"? Kids who actually play tennis on a council court?

Since when has Bushy Park been in Dublin 4? Theres an extra 10 digits on that postcode...

Dude I think youll find its an extra 2 bushy park is d6w. Personally I cant wait for this, its a 3 minute walk from my house. Been waiting for years, pity Ill be finished school before its finished, I had planned on hitting it at lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭zippo22

FX Meister wrote:
    Excellant. I'll bring the kids along to play bowl tennis so.

They're adding a skate park to the town park behind my house here in Wexford shortly. The first moron that that vandalises my wall with his/her spray paint can expect to get a pot of paint thrown in their face. Followed up by their own house being daubed. Graffiti artists my arse. They're just vandals and nothing else.

Dude I think youll find its an extra 2 bushy park is d6w. Personally I cant wait for this, its a 3 minute walk from my house. Been waiting for years, pity Ill be finished school before its finished, I had planned on hitting it at lunch.

Well, the councils adress for Bushy Park is D14, and my knowledge of Dublin post codes ends at the map that comes with the phonebook :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

zippo22 wrote:
    They're adding a skate park to the town park behind my house here in Wexford shortly. The first moron that that vandalises my wall with his/her spray paint can expect to get a pot of paint thrown in their face. Followed up by their own house being daubed. Graffiti artists my arse. They're just vandals and nothing else.

ALL graffiti artists are vandals...? Isn't that a bit like say that ALL muslims are terrorists? Or ALL Irish are alcoholics?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

MYOB wrote:
    Well, the councils adress for Bushy Park is D14, and my knowledge of Dublin post codes ends at the map that comes with the phonebook :p

Dublin 6w... The Dodder is the border, for want of a better word

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement