Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swing GUI for creating a JDBC connection

Options
  • 28-02-2006 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

hi guys,
    Does anyone have/know where i can get a standalone Swing GUI that will create a jdbc connection by accepting in the driver type, url, username and password of the DB

any example programs or other help would be appreciated

thanks
    David(Gracehopper)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Why not write it? or are you looking for a finished program?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

When are the FYP deadlines?

Go to college library.
    Find book on java/swing/jdbc.
    Read book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Valehru

If you really need to do something like this then go to http://forum.java.sun.com

This question has truely been asked a million times before there and you might learn something by actually researching something first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Ugh - just do your own f*cking projects :/
    My own website has a large number of swing + awt example apps that you could use.

Think I'll leave the rooting around on the web to you though, you need the experience. Finding something like a sample gui in java isn't exactly the hardest thing to do you know. Writing it yourself is nearly easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

plenty of samples online

http://knowledgebase.datadirect.com/kbase.nsf/sample/2542873PW

ore look it up on google, easier then hoping someone on a msg board will do it for you cause they wont.

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=jdbc+samples&meta=

Cant make it easier then that for u

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Karoma wrote:
    When are the FYP deadlines?

I seriously doubt this is for a FYP.

rsynnott wrote:
    I seriously doubt this is for a FYP.

yea probably an assignment. Reasoning thinking this is they are looking for 2 things as if they are one and its on the programming forum so the assumption is they are looking for source code.

Hobbes: Plus the fact that if this was for a FYP, they'd bloody well know how to code one by now anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

zoro wrote:
    Ugh - just do your own f*cking projects :/
    My own website has a large number of swing + awt example apps that you could use.

Think I'll leave the rooting around on the web to you though, you need the experience. Finding something like a sample gui in java isn't exactly the hardest thing to do you know. Writing it yourself is nearly easier.

He didnt ask someone to do it for him, relax, being a beginner with java myself this time last year I was asking the same kind question, while u did help by pointing him in right direction, which is what he needed and asked for, he never asked anyone to do his project for him, All coders (in college/ or industry) need to reference, or see samples, to see how it has been done before. so he was doing his own project. keep your hair on!

dbnavan wrote:
    He didnt ask someone to do it for him, relax, being a beginner with java myself this time last year I was asking the same kind question, while u did help by pointing him in right direction, which is what he needed and asked for, he never asked anyone to do his project for him, All coders (in college/ or industry) need to reference, or see samples, to see how it has been done before. so he was doing his own project. keep your hair on!

requests for homework are quite common here and start off like the OP said. If they had honest questions about it they would point out the bits they had a problem with and would of bothered to google to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

The reason I asked re: FYP -> it could be part of it (You'd be sadly suprised.) & I'm noticing an increase in the number of silly requests for code both here and on other sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

I wanted something to test new db connection pool functionality that we we're about to integrate. I built the app myself in the end. I'm not a s/w developer but it was easy. I didnt need swing i just created a load of connection with my DB connection class that i got from sun.com.

I appreciate the links lads so thanks for them. I dont however appreciate the attitude. I put the message up because i suspected that some experienced developers would see it. I wont ask for help in the programming forum again

I appreciate the links lads so thanks for them. I dont however appreciate the attitude. I put the message up because i suspected that some experienced developers would see it. I wont ask for help in the programming forum again

The problem is in how you asked the question. If you read the charter you can see what will+won't enact a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Hobbes wrote:
    The problem is in how you asked the question. If you read the charter you can see what will+won't enact a response.

I've just read the charter.
    As someone mentioned below, i'd be quicker coding the program myself than reading the charter, asking for help and then receiving any sort of help.

Lesson learned!

dbnavan wrote:
    All coders (in college/ or industry) need to reference, or see samples, to see how it has been done before. so he was doing his own project. keep your hair on!
    Point taken

I've just read the charter.
    As someone mentioned below, i'd be quicker coding the program myself than reading the charter, asking for help and then receiving any sort of help.

Lesson learned!

The lesson that you will hopefully have learned is that asking your question in the manner that you have above leads us (or at least, me) to believe that you just want your homework done for you.

If you had specified actual sections of the process that you were having particular difficulty with then it would've been obvious that you are infact working on this yourself, and just need some help relating to something.

And while I'm here - here is the link to the various gui examples that I have stored for my own reference. They're rather old now, but the premise in most of them still shines through.

Best of luck, and call back if you need any more help.

Advertisement