Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mulitple Windows Server 2003 servers ----> Unix/VMS

• 28-02-2006 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

This is new ground for me as most of what I do is restricted to VMS and little bit of Unix.

We have multiple Windows Server 2003 boxes. Part of the role of the operations department is to use remote desktop to connect to these boxes manually check diskspace on various drives and check various logs to check for errors..

I would obviously like to automate this as the task is somewhat repetitive and soul destroying..

The windows side of scripting is totally new to me now so am facing a blank wall. I am pretty sure that Terminal Services needs to be installed on the Windows boxes. I also know that you can use WMI and VbScript to script within windows. However, I am sorta at a loss as to where both come together.

I have an idea of what is the simplest way of doing this. I will probably need to have a script running on the Windows machine that will output whatever information into a log file. Then ftp that file from the windows boxes to a Unix box. Carry out whatever formatting on the Unix box and then send the outputted file as an email to whoever needs to see it.

Is this plausable? Any advise on the Windows side of things?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Why do you need unix?

Is it just connecting to your win2k3 servers and check some settings.

1. You don't need to install terminal services to remote admin a win2k3 server(you will be allowed 1-2 remote sessions)

2. You could probably setup some snmp traps on those servers todo what you want(is there any reason why you've been told todo this manually?)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324263

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Not so much been told to do it manually.. Its something I have to decided to do on my own back. It is also something I know little about as you can see :)

Am more curious as to the various methods that could be employed as much as anything.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There was an yolkie that was supposed to export the Event log to an ini file on the fly - must look for it again sounded very interesting & usable in the way eventvwr isn't

disk space one idea

dir \\servername\C$ /-c | find "free" >free.txt
    for /f "tokens=1-3" %%a in (free.txt) do set /a free= %%c /(1024*1024*1024)
    if [%free%]==[0] echo fire phasers three times

you can then use FOR to extract the number
    and set /A to divide it by another number maybe your warning level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

If you know a little UNIX .. then you know a little linux, right?

you can run Nagios on a fedora or debian box, its open source and you can build up your alerts over time. Even trend disk usage etc..
    It also integrates with router bandwith usage software afaik

zod wrote:
    If you know a little UNIX .. then you know a little linux, right?

you can run Nagios on a fedora or debian box, its open source and you can build up your alerts over time. Even trend disk usage etc..
    It also integrates with router bandwith usage software afaik

Sounds like a pretty cool application. We are not running any Linux boxes but setting up wouldn't be an issue. Was hoping to just run it on top of what we have at the moment though. I assume any alerts/alarm/monitoring orientated software would offer similar functionality.

• Advertisement

Also, the logic of using a Unix box (where most scripting is down anyway) was that it would be one central location retrieving from multiple servers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

IP check will do along the same lines as nagios if your stuck with windows

Advertisement