Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hisotry Special Topic - Reseearch Study Report

Options
  • 28-02-2006 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭

Now that my history mock is over my mind drifted to thinking about the special topic, just wondering how you guys are getting on with yours? Our teacher made us hand in a first draft to be marked as part of our mocks. What are you guys doing it on? Mine's aboutRudolf Hess' flight to Britain in 1941.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

I've mine sorted apart from the review at the end. I'm doing The Role of Henry Kissinger in the '73 coup in Chile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Im from Ennis so Im basing mine on the 1928 Election which Daniel O Connell won.. interesting, stuff.. ahm no..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Titanic, piece of piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Shards

Still have to start mine, when are they meant to be in?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

oskar schindler - i have about... 60/70% done i'd say... have handed up an essay, but have to change loads to get it more "focused".

i like my topic... really interesting

• Advertisement

oh, and they have to be in by april 28th or something like that? i think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 proletarian

Yeah, April 28th. I'm doing the origins and development of the Co-op in my local town, can't help but sigh every time I even think that phrase. On the up side, my teacher happens to be simultaneously a historian having written a ****load of books on same town. Could be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I'm doin the Freedom Rides in Birmingham, Alabama. Have only taken notes so far, need a good run at trying to get the whole shebang written up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

I have completed my first draft!did it jus after xmas!my teach said only d conclusion had to change how cul!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I'm only half way through reading a book, which is my primary source.. I've got like another 150 to go! I'm taking regular notes, but have to go back and read through to get the points, so I'm basically reading it twice.. I'm doing it on the grand canal..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭brid_m

I've my 3rd draft done. Our teacher wanted us ta have most of it done by now!!! I'm doing it on the murder of the Romanov family in Russia. Pretty interesting stuff. It's due on the 28th of April

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭viota

my teacher made us start last year in 5th year in october he made us do 3 drafts and the latest one is good but not good enough apparently im doing it on the fall of anne boleyn hes now raving about getting at least three sources -my head is going round in circles because of him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 kickthedog

It might just be me put it seems like students on the new syllabus have it easier than those who had to do the old one. I mean ok you have to do a special topic but you can pick just about anything you like. There was nothing like that in my day( I'm only 20 but I always wanted to use that line).

One thing that you should keep in mind, this is could preparation for those huge essays you'll do in college.

kickthedog wrote:
    It might just be me put it seems like students on the new syllabus have it easier than those who had to do the old one. I mean ok you have to do a special topic but you can pick just about anything you like. There was nothing like that in my day( I'm only 20 but I always wanted to use that line).

could you not do anythign you wanted?
    obviosuly not if you said that.. but...
    was it limited to topics on the course?

Our course is easier than what ye had alright!!
    My teacher was telling us that on the old course you had to write really long essays on really broad headings, and ye had to know your topic really well ta answer a question on it in the exam!!!!
    Having said that though, is anyone finding it really hard to learn off stuff like i am??:confused:
    I'm terrible at the political history and learning off dates and names, I'm able to blab my way through the cultural history.

i find it easier to sorta focus on the political then the cultural... cos to get really decent marks in them i'd say you'd need to know them REALLY well..

im rooting for the Jarrow March essay to come up in June.. ahahahaa it's such a handy topic to learn off, and its a case study, so ya never know....!

I can't stand the irish political history, its so boring!!! Thinking bout it, i liked the european history the best. I'm hoping for GAA, nazi propoganda, jarrow march and role of women/EU to come up. My teacher was telling us (OMG i say this way too often- sorry!!!:p ), anywhoo, she was saying that at some conference yokie she went to, they had said that in all sections at least one question on a case study will come up!!! So i decided i'm gonna learn them really well!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dr.barbie

History is the biggest pain in my life this year!!! Cant wait to completely banish all knowledge of Home Rule and the moroccon crisis 1905/1911 etc from my mind!!! I hate it, and whinge about it too much!

Me too!! Bloody Home Rule!! I'm not doing that moroccon crisis thingybut i understand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭viota

home rule goes on forever

• Advertisement

there not that much to cover on it though no?

- why unionists were opposed to it..
    - why is caused division
    - who supported it (policitical parties etc)
    - the 1885/86 elections...

and im sure theres a few others im missing out, but its never really bothered me?

what bothers me about it is that we spent too much time on that bloody book, when we could have been studying sumthin else!! At the beginning no1 knew that the red book was only for the documents, not a major essay!!! So we spent most of last year doing the bloody thing!!!

brid_m wrote:
    At the beginning no1 knew that the red book was only for the documents, not a major essay!!!

my teacher did.....

we started it around Feb of 5th year, maybe that was after you?
    but even in spetemebr I thought she explained everythign to us? maybe not :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

I love History! Hated it all last year but this year I have gotten d best teacher ever! His notes are so condensed no bull****!in dem! Im doing all of Bizmark and dat stuff at the mo very interesting!

We started the red book straight away in september of 5th year, apparently then they didn't know for sure what questions would come up. Its just so annoying thinking back, seeing how much time we wasted on the bloody yoke!!!!!!!

Advertisement