Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Problem setting up eircom broadband

• 28-02-2006 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I was trying to set up eircom broadband on my dad's computer at home and I just can't get it to work...

The modem is a Netopia Caymen 3341, and we're trying to use the USB port. I've followed all the instructions on the installation disc, and the last one is along the lines of "Connect cable and then press ok".

However, once the ok button is pressed it (the button) dissappears and the only option left is to press 'back'.

It's driving me mad, if anyone has had (and hopefully solved) this problem please let me know.

Ed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Couple of questions.
    1. How old is the PC and what version of windows is on it?
    2. Does the PC have an ethernet port?
    3. When you connect the USB cable and click the button, are you giving it enough time to detect the connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Have a look at this ......

go to ..... http://home.eircom.net/

select broadband .....

select Support ....

under set-up broadband .... select Netopia usb ....

select netopia 3341 .....

select top option i.e. Windows 98SE, ME, XP or later (others not supported!!!)

you should now have the full instructions "Set up Netopia 3341 using USB on Windows"

try that .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

wonder if this direct link will work .... :confused:
    (it didn't b/4 :( )

http://dsl-support.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=48&E=0000000000012608925&K=1954&Sxi=10&Question4058=obj(4058):obj(4062)

almost .... :) just select .... 'Windows 98SE, ME, XP or later' and your at the instructions page ..... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

i use the same modem but via ethernet not usb n the setup went through no bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

This happens on XP machines. Cancel the wizard at that stage and you should get a notepad window. The last line should read cannot find USB netcard string. Close the notepad window and a found new hardware wizard should start. Take all the recommended options. The new hardware wizard may run twice. If it does, just run through it again.

It should work fine after this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 edladdlad

The machine has Windows 98 second edition, there's no ethernet port, and at one stage it was left trying to detect a connection for up to an hour.

Thanks for all the links, unfortunately the eircom.net support is the same as the instructions on the CD, so there was nothing in them I could use.

I was kinda hoping it was a problem people had a lot, but it looks like it's just on that machine, might just try to get a technician out.

Thanks everyone, any other ideas would still be appreciated of course.

Ed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

USB is bad enough but USB and Win 98 is a disaster.
    If it's a computer technician you're talking about, fair enough. If it's an Eircom technician then you're wasting your time and money. As soon as he sees it's pc related he'll tell you to take it to pc shop.
    You may be aswell to go out and buy an ethernet card and install it yourself. Easy to do and cost about €15.
    Did you try to install the modem manually?
    With the modem connected and the Eircom cd in the drive:
    Right click on "My Computer" and select "Properties".
    Click on the "Device Manager" tab up top.
    The modem should be listed there as a composite usb device or something similar, with a yellow exclaimation mark beside it.
    Double click on it and click "reinstall driver" or similar.
    Follow the steps and it should find the drivers on the cd.
    If it doesn't go back and select "install from a specific location" and click "have disc" and browse to the Win 98 folder on the CD.

Advertisement