Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can you Vrt a car at any motor tax office?

Options
  • 28-02-2006 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

I want to get my car vrt`d this week, can i just bring it to my local motor tax office in Drogheda or can the vrt only be paid in certain motor tax offices? Would i need to bring it to Dundalk perhaps? Any drogheda people on boards that can clear that up for me maybe. :)

Also, do the vrt inspectors always come out and look at the car. Im planning on lying about the mileage to knock a couple hundred off it.

Its a uk car, i believe i can insure it as a uk car by giving my insurance co the chasis number, or i think quinn direct will insure it for 14days or something by just giving them the uk plate reg?

Can i pay the road tax as soon as i pay the vrt? Its just i dont have 1 single disk on the windscreen and i dont want get hassle from guards while all this is pending over a couple weeks. I`d like to get it all sorted in 1 day if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

You'll have to bring it to your Vehicle Registration Office where they will give it a thorough going over and charge you for any extras !!

Have a look here : http://www.revenue.ie/services/bus_cust5.htm

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Thanks for the link, but i cant find any mention on them tax sites of the specific "Vrt tax offices". Ill have to ring them tomorrow i suppose.

I got a vrt quote online, it doesnt look for "extras", just yr, mileage + engine cc. They cant suddenly charge me for so called extras on the day cause they feel like it, surely. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They are called Vehicle Registration Offices, or VRO's.

Your nearest one is in Dundalk, in the Millenium Centre

042-9353700

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Thanks for that Colm.
    Means i have to drive the car on dirty uk plates down to dundalk with not 1 single disk on the window. I bet ill be lucky enough to be stopped aswell. :( There should be 1 in Drogheda, fook sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Just how much they go over it depends on who you get and what it is, it's not an exact science by any strech of the imagination...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Well in fairness a friend of mine in Laois brought over an 03 Impreza WRX lately and he paid exactly what was on the online calculator

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

In fairness, the online calculator covers most engine types and trim levels. Chances are that any modifications won't affect the estimated open market selling price of the car

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

VRO valuations are a bit of a minefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

It all depends on the person you get to check the car.I bought a 2004 A4 TDI last month and paid the VRT in Navan.It was a lady who looked at it and just checked the Chassis No & mileage.Its an SE model and the amount of VRT was exactly what the quote was on line.

My insurance co would insure me for one month.A friend of mine is driving on english plates for 3 months.Initially his insurance co told him they would only insure him for a month.He threatened to take his business elsewhere and they didn't want to loose him as a customer so there again it all depends on who you are dealing with

Advertisement