Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Build Cost estimates please

Options
  • 28-02-2006 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hello all,

I was hoping someone could give me some estimates in the following scenario:

- Build costs for approx. 1600 sq ft conventional block built house fully plumbed, wired, plastered, painted, floors down ready to move into?
    - Project management fees for architect to PM build
    - Planning application fees for an Architect to complete this for you.

Any ballpark figures for Northeast (not in dublin) much appreciated :)

Thanks,
    Micheller.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I cant give you an approx cost but one thing I would suggest is consider the whole life costs of the building.

You mention conventional block built house. Consider something like a poroton block house (www.fbt.ie). Quicker build cheaper heating costs (much more energy effiecnt).

THere are a lot of modern building techqniques that could save alot of money.

As for aplanning application fee's have alook around at engineers/caddies/Architect who would do this as a nixer. I've done a few and its not a major job for something of this scale.

Planning application fee is based on the size of the developement with a min few of €35 or something like that.

I'd also recommend you get an engineer involved. I've seen Architect only involved jobs and they dont full undertand the structural aspect of the house. Something to be aware off.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

You probably need to give a lot more information before someone could estimate cost of this for you. Try the gardening/diy forum as there are a lot of experienced self builders there who can give you valuable advice in all aspects of construction.

I'd second what kernsr says about researching different build methods for price and value. Again the other forum is an invaluable source of advice and information.

Here is my attempt.

Buildcost: €80 to €120 per sq Ft (This would be buildcost only, decoration and fitting out would be extra)
    Project Management : Might be around 10% of buildcost maybe more, you'd have to shop around.
    Architecht to design and submit for planning. €2000 to €4000. Again shop around.

Hope this is of some help. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭peaches79

Thanks very much for that- will keep those things in mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you want someone to completely design and manage you building, expect to pay close to 15% (on the pre-VAT construction price) in fees + VAT.

However, insist on a full service, including architect, engineer and quantity surveyor. Select you own team leader / project manager, who should be technicly- / financially-minded, not design-minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,083 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Wouldn't know what fees/costs would be applicable to the Northeast area.

In Donegal you would expect to have that house built for anything from €140,000 - €180,000 on full contact but excl. kitchen & bathroom fittings,fireplaces, painting, tiling, site works etc.

If you were to go down the direct labour route you could save up to 15% on those figures.

Design, planning and supervision fees would be in the region of 3000 - 5000 here but again this could be higher in your area.

My advice would be to get a draft design done by some local chap by way of a nixer or take a photo-copy of a similar type of design from one of the many books on house plans out there. Then go to a couple of the local contactors and and ask them for an approx. price.

This would let you know what the house will roughly cost and at very little expense or outlay on your behalf.

Make sure you take into account development contributions payable to your local authority, solicitors fees, ESB charges etc

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, keep it coming, really good info there.
    I didn't realise it was THAT expensive- 15% on pre VAT + VAT.
    Madness, may be rethinking some elements :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,083 ✭✭✭✭muffler

peaches79 wrote:
    I didn't realise it was THAT expensive- 15% on pre VAT + VAT.

Just to reiterate, I am not sure of costs elsewhere but you are quite right. 15% + is way too high. I would certainly shop around. For a private house build I dont see why you wouldn't have all your technical/planning/management/supervision for around 5% max.

Talk to a few friends who had work done recently and see who they would reccomend for plans etc. Ask in your local planning office if they would give you a few names of architects, technicians or draughtsmen in your area.

All Im going to say is that I am familiar with this type of work and I can assure you that there are large savings to be made depending on where you go and who you retain

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

muffler wrote:

My advice would be to get a draft design done by some local chap by way of a nixer or take a photo-copy of a similar type of design from one of the many books on house plans out there. Then go to a couple of the local contactors and and ask them for an approx. price.

This would let you know what the house will roughly cost and at very little expense or outlay on your behalf.

I would second that. Wouldnt cost an arm and a leg to get that drawn up (depends really on the size of the house and the time involved in drawing it) but would give you a decent estimate on over all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

muffler wrote:
    Just to reiterate, I am not sure of costs elsewhere but you are quite right. 15% + is way too high. I would certainly shop around. For a private house build I dont see why you wouldn't have all your technical/planning/management/supervision for around 5% max.
    You (hopefully) get what you pay for. I'm not advocating 15%, but 5% is too little.

Thanks people- we were considering going with an Architect for the management but now thinking engineer or other might give better nod to tech/ financial elements, hmmm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement