Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suggestions?

• 28-02-2006 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I’m looking for some general advice, I going anon for this. Your suggestions would be appreciated. Sorry for the length of the post.

Basically, I have a number of problems, a bit of a vicious circle.
    I think, I know I drink too much. I’m back in college after working for a couple of years. I left my job because I wasn’t happy. I got by in work drinking only on weekends, I was joined a gym and went to the gym and that helped. Now I drink heavily three or four nights a week, which obviously affects college work. I did stay off the drink completely for January though if that means anything.
    I smoke as well, I was off them for a few months three years ago, and have only been able to stay off them for no longer than two weeks at a time since then. I tried hypnotherapy for the cigarettes and it worked for a while, I’d recommend it for people if they have the money. The problem with the cigarettes is that when I’m drinking/out I can’t resist them and end up going back on them again.
    In college everyone in the class does their own thing. That’s another problem. I go out with old friends every three or four weeks. I essentially live on my own, most weeks I don’t talk to anyone except in class. Since leaving my job I am drinking more, I don’t go the gym, I’d say I’ve easily put on a stone in the last year.
    I really just want to
    1. Quit smoking for good.
    2. Drink a lot less
    3. Meet more people
    It’s just hard to be motivated.

Comments

Would be good to include your age and location, just so people could come forward to help you out in person :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Right here's a great excuse to go off drink for a while without publically admitting a problem and embarassing yourself. Lent starts tomorrow. Tell people your off the drink for Lent. Most people will slag a bit but repect your apparent convictions. This buys you 6 weeks to get off drink. Use this as a springboard to invent reasons to get involved in new activities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hagar wrote:
    Lent starts tomorrow. Tell people your off the drink for Lent. Use this as a springboard to invent reasons to get involved in new activities.
    Thanks Hagar, that an idea.

eniarah, that might be giving too much away, but thanks anyway

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'd recommend only tackling one at a time. If you attempt to do too much at once, you'll certainly fail. So quit drinking and when you've got that completely under control, then tackle smoking. (Or in whatever order)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭lau1247

to quit smoking.. trying taking on sweets everytime you feel like a cigarette.. it seems to help my grandad

As for alcohol.. I seldom drink.. so i don't really know.. good luck

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

I really just want to
    1. Quit smoking for good.
    2. Drink a lot less
    3. Meet more people

here's my story
    1, smoked quite a lot , started taking zyban 2 weeks ago now I don't smoke.
    2, because I have just recently giving up I don't drink, as I know I will very easily fall of the I'm not a smoker perch.
    3, I now spend more time, in the gym, playing soccer, or walking the dogs , and most importantly more time with my fiancee which she loves. (so join the gym again, play a sport, go to a club, go speed dating, you have no excuse there is plenty of stuff to do)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

lau1247 wrote:
    to quit smoking.. trying taking on sweets everytime you feel like a cigarette.. it seems to help my grandad

And this, everybody, is how people quitting smoking end up putting on 4 stone and replacing their risk of cancer with a risk of heart failure from obesity. I wouldn't rush to recommend that method. I'm all for replacing cigarettes with something, but not food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭lau1247

Faith wrote:
    And this, everybody, is how people quitting smoking end up putting on 4 stone and replacing their risk of cancer with a risk of heart failure from obesity. I wouldn't rush to recommend that method. I'm all for replacing cigarettes with something, but not food.

you don't have to be so straight minded..
    It doesn't have to be sweet all the time..
    Vegetable, fruits??
    Who knows.. Get something to chew on..
    Gums?? As long as something that distract you from thinking about smoke is all I'm suggesting

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

In my experience in Ireland, there is a lot of peer pressure to drink.

If you tell your friends you don't drink much, some people will literally do anything to get you to drink loads. Call this a generous, misguided act of insecurity.

So I suggest you quit drinking entirely. But do it gradually. Then when you tell people you don't drink at all, you are less likely to be pressured to drink some. Classify yourself as a none drinker. Once you have accepted this new identy, then you can drink a bit, like really good wine on special occassions.

Your lack of motivation is probably fueled by your lack of energy.

Read "The Low GL Diet" by Patrick Holford. Balancing and sorting out your blood sugar levels will majorly boost your energy. Then you'll feel better. Then it will be easier to have the gusto to go the gym. This is a smart way to break your vicious cylce. This book is really great; and aside from helping you lose weight, will generally help you feel better and less lethargic; all of which are key to getting a better life.

Then read: "Ask and it is given" by Ester Hicks (great book) and also "Change your life in 7 days" by Paul McKenna, which between the two of them will help you find better things to do with all your extra time and energy that will improve your quality of life, and connect with what you really want.

After all, drinking that much isn't really that much fun... in fact I'd say it's sh***for anything other than short bursts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

ye i would suggest taking one thing at a time like some of the other posters have said. But as far as i am concerned it would have to be the think and as hagar suggested use Lent as an excuse/springboard to giving it up.

The reason i would suggest that you give up the drink first is that this seems to be your main problem and the smoking seems to steam from your drinking, as you yourself said you can't quit smoking as you get to great an urge to smoke when you are drinking. So if you can give up the drink in time the giving up the fags will be easier as you won't have that urge to smoke while drinking.

In relation to meeting new people, i have to go with the usual crap of join a club especially if you are in college (and not that much older then the average college age, if you are skip them they won't be for you) but try and get a hobby or something as it might take your mind off drinking but also it will get you out of the house so you can't do as much drinking

• Advertisement
Advertisement