Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Abolish Trigger Program Farce

Options
  • 28-02-2006 11:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

http://dsltrigger.eircom.ie/

'under review ' ......me arse.

I was told that the Inveran exchange in Galway, trigger level 450 , 8 interested parties in 2 years , went live last month anyway . I wonder if anyone bothered telling the minister ???? The Trigger farce, after all, was introduced because the DCMNR was introducing a BB Trigger program itself .

Whats next , base metal transmutation maybe ??? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Yeah. I noticed that had changed to "under review" a couple of months back.
    It was a useful as an ashtray on a motor bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Seems as though the "trigger" is now the number of lines connected to an exchange rather than the number of people who want broadband. McRedmond said on Pat Kenny's radio show that an exchange below 1000 lines was pretty much uneconomic to upgrade to DSL.

This suggests that demand is no longer an issue but that other issues such as availability and line quality might explain the low figure of 12% BB takeup in the country.

Oh, and the Eircom Trigger Scheme was a effing sham. Kinnegad had about 20 registrations of interest, 300+ were required, however the exchange has been queitly upgraded...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jman

I never believe in this Trigger program ... to me it was just a way of trying to divert frustrated customers ...

At least anecdotally it seems that Eircom will upgrade an exchange if it seems
    their potential customer base is under threat from an alternate provider either
    via a GBS or otherwise ... where there is no threat then they are happy to let their customer base wallow in frustration while they target richer pickings
    elsewhere .....

In response to a suggestion for a GBS scheme in Furbo, Galway, I was told
    by one Eircom employee, "why bother ... as soon as you have it in place Eircom will just come in and enable the exchange and wipe out the competition by watering down their market base" ...

Majority of the lines in Furbo, Galway were hooked into Barna (2-3 miles away)
    or Spiddal exchanges (3-4 miles away). Barna was recently enabled. Spiddal will be shortly. In the course of this upgrade work, a large number of resident lines in Furbo were moved and are apparently now being "served" out of Furbo. Furbo is not enabled and there are no plans to do it in the short/medium term. There is also no other reasonable alternative.

A GBS scheme lauchned by Udaras/Com1 for the Cois Fharraige region (incl. Furbo) targets
    businesses only and charges a whopping 150/month for 1Mb FWA line. Placement of their base station means that only the "lucky" few could avail of this. In addition Com1, recently absolved them selves of running this service, despite the fact that they got the grant, they have handed any customers they had hooked in, to Leap.

Advertisement