Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Caught Stealing by Parents

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

hmm, Theif, I'm not liking what I'm reading.

Suddenlly it's your parents fault if they make you bring the item back???

YOU stole the item, not your parents
    YOU made the decision, not your parents.
    YOU are an adult.
    YOU brought this into the house even though you knew what your family had gone through in the past.
    YOU are making the decision to be a coward and not return the item.

What you did was WRONG, get it? It's not that difficult really.

What happens if by some chance the company in question finds out about what happened, in a similar manner to your parents?
    Would it look better for you if you brought the item back or if you had kept it?
    Also, what are the chances that this isn't the first time your "friend" has done this sort of thing?

Also to those that say it's fine and dandy to do such things shame on you! I don't care what somebody else has, it never, EVER, gives you the right to take something from them.

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

b3t4 wrote:
    hmm, Theif, I'm not liking what I'm reading.

Suddenlly it's your parents fault if they make you bring the item back???

YOU stole the item, not your parents
    YOU made the decision, not your parents.
    YOU are an adult.
    YOU brought this into the house even though you knew what your family had gone through in the past.
    YOU are making the decision to be a coward and not return the item.

What you did was WRONG, get it? It's not that difficult really.

What happens if by some chance the company in question finds out about what happened, in a similar manner to your parents?
    Would it look better for you if you brought the item back or if you had kept it?
    Also, what are the chances that this isn't the first time your "friend" has done this sort of thing?

Also to those that say it's fine and dandy to do such things shame on you! I don't care what somebody else has, it never, EVER, gives you the right to take something from them.

A.

Personal Responsibility; thats what the problem is here. As a society we're letting individuals not take responsibility for their actions. Litigation a prime example, the mentality of the government with the tribunals. Personal Responsibility. Can no one stand up anymore and account for their actions??

* Sorry mods for font size, but its designed to show the fundemental point. Change if inappropriate.

bru

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

A cash donation on its own is not sufficient - you cannot keep the stolen property. Donate the item (it's not yours) as well as the cash (a fine for your crime).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Another little detail; what about the misery he has bestowed on his parents?

An apology is in order!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

bruachain wrote:

* Sorry mods for font size, but its designed to show the fundemental point. Change if inappropriate.

bru

font changed back
    it's not allowed and it won't make your point any clearer
    B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭dirtyharry1971

Ha ha entertaining thread lots of different opinions/conflicts lovin it:D
    Sorry thats not a very contructive comment - I agree with the charity thing no point hangin' urself

Ha ha entertaining thread lots of different opinions/conflicts lovin it:D
    Sorry thats not a very contructive comment - I agree with the charity thing no point hangin' urself

perhaps a reading of the forum charter is in order...
    B

Beruthiel wrote:
    font changed back
    it's not allowed and it won't make your point any clearer
    B

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

Heinrich wrote:

Maybe ag marbh would like to post his address so we can come and steal from him as he finds stealing acceptable.
    :mad:

Stealing from an individual and stealing from a big corporation are not the same thing to me and it takes a different state of mind to do each of them. My comments in this thread are more so directed at the stress he feels. My arguement is that he shouldn't feel stressed over stealing from a big corporation because of the reasons I stated earlier. This is not telling people they should go out and start stealing from big corporations(although id love to see them fall like the twin towers) but it's aimed towards him not feeling stressed about his PETTY actions.
    His parent's dragging him down to the guarda station are extreme. As an adult in his final year of college the most extreme thing they can force upon him is having the item removed from the property they paid for and if they really went way over board they could kick him out of the house but apart from that his parents have got no right to do anything else. I suspect his mother/father wont do this because i'm sure they(well his father anyway) know what it's like to be tempted by something.

It's very clear the poster doesn't feel good about this because things have to be really disturbing to come on here and ask for advice so I think all of you extremists should calm down and get on with your life. The very same people probably just went out to lunch and bought products that exploit people in horrible ways but they don't think about cause they couldnt be arsed with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Jim10000

I agree with Bruachain's last post - this is an issue to do with personal responsibility and is very relevant in contemporary Ireland. The general tone here of acceptance for what the OP has done is really shocking. They stole something quite valuable and most people seem to think it's fine.

I think its ironic that this comes up at a time when there are high levels of disbelief (on boards and i assume elsewhere) at the lack of decency seen on the streets of Dublin last Saturday. Everyone seems to want to shoot the 'scumbags' responsible for destroying others' property then, why is this case seen to be completely different?

Apart from that, I don't think giving money to charity absolves you of the crime... the company you stole it from is still out of pocket. Get your friend to somehow reimburse his shop with the cash the thing's worth if you don't want to own up.

Also, I think that Ag Marbh's idea that you're going to bring down capitalism by stealing iPods (or whatever) is a bit inaccurate.

Jim10000 wrote:

Also, I think that Ag Marbh's idea that you're going to bring down capitalism by stealing iPods (or whatever) is a bit inaccurate.

I know that but anything to hurt these companies is good in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

its not really going to hurt the company, as you've already said ag marbh. All its going to do (when discovered, as it almost certainly will be) is make the bosses less trusting of everyone, and start putting up security cameras etc, which is totally unfair on the 99% of people who would never consider doing anything like that. Brilliant point there, Jim1k edit: Jim10K, sorry :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Ag marbh wrote:
    I know that but anything to hurt these companies is good in my opinion.
    Yeah, you've made your opinion quite clear on this thread. If you want to debate that angle then take it to Humanities.

Jim10000 wrote:
    I agree with Bruachain's last post - this is an issue to do with personal responsibility and is very relevant in contemporary Ireland. The general tone here of acceptance for what the OP has done is really shocking. They stole something quite valuable and most people seem to think it's fine.

I think its ironic that this comes up at a time when there are high levels of disbelief (on boards and i assume elsewhere) at the lack of decency seen on the streets of Dublin last Saturday. Everyone seems to want to shoot the 'scumbags' responsible for destroying others' property then, why is this case seen to be completely different?

Apart from that, I don't think giving money to charity absolves you of the crime... the company you stole it from is still out of pocket. Get your friend to somehow reimburse his shop with the cash the thing's worth if you don't want to own up.

Hear, hear!

Amazing to see how people like ag marbh can decide the limits of culpability on crime! If the parents of OP were to do their CIVIC DUTY they should report the crime to the Gardai. They are accessories as they know the crime was commited and are covering up by not reporting. That is the reality of the situation.

Maybe we should all go shoplifting and make an odd donation to charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I think the parents reporting him to the gardai is maybe a bit excessive, seeing as this is his first offence, and he's sorry. However, if the employers decide to call the cops, thats their right. The parents should 'encourage' to bring the item back to work, its the only way to teach kids that actions have consequences. In my *humble* opinion, giving a donation to charity is a let-off, although its better than nothing. If the OP is ever tempted to do it again, a telling off from his employer is a lot more likely to dissuade him than the memory of sticking 200 in a charity box. OP, you should bring it back, apologise, and resign. Anything less and you'll have to square it with your conscience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭athena 2000

Thief wrote:
    As I said, I'm not a shoplifter and wouldn't dream of walking into a shop and putting something in my pocket. My Mam & Dad want me to seek professional advice but to be honest I think I just did what most other young people in my situation would have done.
    (The store itself has no cameras or security....the mind boggles!)

My mind boggles that you think you are justified in stealing the merchandise in any way, shape or form.

I'm also amazed that you have succumbed to the Lemming Syndrome - "other people in my situation would steal, so...*big light above brain turns on*....SO I WILL TOO! Yipee!" That's completely inane. [sic]

You're not a shoplifter, you're just a thief as things stand at the moment. Go give the money AND the item to charity. I'm just glad you had enough sense to post on boards. You obviously have some kind of a conscience. Go cultivate it some more and let it grow. You're not a little boy any longer with little boy excuses. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭craigcharlie

@ the op

I think most people on this thread have been ignoring a deeper question you should ask yourself - do *you* really believe it's wrong?

You should have a good long think about that and see what you really believe. The answer to this question will tell you something about yourself, and you can decide where to go from there. most people on this thread have offering their own opinions about whether or not it's wrong, but I think you've got to see what *your* own opinions are.

Keep in mind that the answer to this doesn't automatically determine what you are going to do or should do about stealing. It's perfectly reasonable for you to decide that you don't think it's wrong, but to not steal for logical reasons - like the consequences. Anyway, if you decide that it's not wrong and that you want to do it, then there you are...for better or worse.

However, if you decide that it is wrong and you want to quit, then you've probably got to figure out why you were doing it in the first place:

are you doing it for the rush (kleptomania)?
    or cause you really really want the stuff (your desire exceeds your grasp)?:)

If you decided that you don't want to steal anymore, then I think that you need to figure out which of these two reasons is the cause in order to figure out how to treat it. Kleptomania - get some other hobbies that give you a rush, maybe something barely legal, like skateboarding where it says "no skateboarding" :p If you're stealing for the other reason, cause you really want it, then quitting stealing would involve you being more practical about what you want.

hope that helps!

@ all the people who said the parents should (take him to the store/report it to the gards/shackle him to his bed forevermore/make him wear a hair shirt/feed him to some wolves) -- get real. that's a rub-the-dogs-nose-in-its-own-poo approach that would work great for a toddler, but just doesn't have a damn thing to with disciplining someone who's in adulthood, and who's committed a first offence. Here's a riddle: Would you swat a fly with a sledgehammer? How do you think it's going to affect him if he's thrown to the gards the first time he commits an offence?

What the parents need to do is help him to the root of the problem, not fob him off on the gards so that they don't have to deal with it. /rant :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Find out the name of the manager in the shop from where the item was stolen. Remove your finger-prints carefully. Put the item in a big box with the original packaging etc and an anonymous note apologising for the theft. Post it back to the shop. I'd also suggest including 25% of the value of the item for re-stocking etc.

DON'T donate the item to a charity/shop or sell it to pass the proceeds to the charity of your choice. It's not your item to sell. It belongs to the shop it was stolen from. Return the item and compensate the shop as they'll have to reduce the sale price. You can't just send the money to the shop - The item is stolen and you could be caught out down the line. Don't take a chance.

IGNORE people like Ag Marbh who are prepared to help you come up with excuses for stealing or receiving stolen goods. Ultimately the actions of you and your colleague could cost 1 person his/her job. My brother works in retail management. If the stock/register are out in his store by more than a certain amount (allowed for human error) he runs the very real risk of getting the sack. Simple as - A condition of his employment. Your being a party to theft could REALLY impact on someone else' well-being. I don't care about the corporation, but I'd worry about the guy in the stock-room, the cashiers and the manager with whom the buck stops - People like my brother, working to pay his mortgage honestly.

If you want to do something on top of all of this, make your donation to charity. Just realise it's too late to purchase the item and make every effort to right your wrong as best you can. Start by returning the item anonymously and ensuring other peoples jobs aren't put at risk as a result of your greed and your buddy's questionable moral values. Yes everyone can be tempted. Yes, many act on temptation (I'm not just talking about theft BTW). The real test of a person is in the way they behave when their failings have been recognised. You have an opportunity to do something here for yourself that could also show your parents that you're not really a thieving scumbag.

Gil

Gil_Dub wrote:
    Find out the name of the manager in the shop from where the item was stolen. Remove your finger-prints carefully. Put the item in a big box with the original packaging etc and an anonymous note apologising for the theft. Post it back to the shop. I'd also suggest including 25% of the value of the item for re-stocking etc.

You must be joking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Thief wrote:
    Would you seriously place your son in such a situation that could adversely affect the rest of his life when there are other options? I am old enough to be prosecuted and have a criminal record, would you seriously not explore every other avenue first to ensure your son does not get a criminal record?

Why bother?

You don't seem to really give a crap that you did it, but yet you seem to think it would be wrong to be punished for doing it. Seem rather strange logic TBH.

If you can't face the punishment for a crime, don't do the crime. Even if you don't personally think it is wrong that would be a reason not to do it in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ag marbh wrote:
    Condemn me to hell while you're there do-gooder.

Do-gooder? That's rich. You strike me as one of those "McDonalds are capitalist bastards, Coca-Cola are capitalist bastards" types, who rants and raves a lot but doesn't actually do anything. If you're a product of a western, capitalist society, you don't really have a right to consider yourself a marxist.
    Sure, there are many large corporations with policies that are morally and ethically reprehensible, but why play into their hands by stealing from them? I'm sure there are few things they'd love better, really, then seeing some kid get banged up for nicking one of their products.
    OP, for God's sake, don't steal stuff again. Just because you didn't get caught that time, you will eventually. I'm amazed you got away that time. We're living in a Big Brother world, mate. Surveillance technology will catch you out eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Go to shop, pay €200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Dudess wrote:
    If you're a product of a western, capitalist society, you don't really have a right to consider yourself a marxist.

Erm...Marx was the product of a western capitalist society...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Thief wrote:
    Would you seriously place your son in such a situation that could adversely affect the rest of his life when there are other options? I am old enough to be prosecuted and have a criminal record, would you seriously not explore every other avenue first to ensure your son does not get a criminal record?

All depends whether you value truth and honesty or not, really. You might work out a better person in the long run if she reported you.
    Ag marbh wrote:
    As an adult in his final year of college the most extreme thing they can force upon him is having the item removed from the property they paid for and if they really went way over board they could kick him out of the house but apart from that his parents have got no right to do anything else. I suspect his mother/father wont do this because i'm sure they(well his father anyway) know what it's like to be tempted by something.

Erm, they could report him to the gardai.

Dudess wrote:
    Do-gooder? That's rich. You strike me as one of those "McDonalds are capitalist bastards, Coca-Cola are capitalist bastards" types, who rants and raves a lot but doesn't actually do anything. If you're a product of a western, capitalist society, you don't really have a right to consider yourself a marxist.

Well they are bastards aren't they? And come back to me when you know what you're talking about, Marxist.
    Dudess wrote:
    Sure, there are many large corporations with policies that are morally and ethically reprehensible, but why play into their hands by stealing from them? I'm sure there are few things they'd love better, really, then seeing some kid get banged up for nicking one of their products.
    OP, for God's sake, don't steal stuff again. Just because you didn't get caught that time, you will eventually. I'm amazed you got away that time. We're living in a Big Brother world, mate. Surveillance technology will catch you out eventually.

Examples?

rsynnott wrote:

Erm, they could report him to the gardai.

His parent's dont seem like they would go down that road so I should have specified.

Ag marbh wrote:
    Well they are bastards aren't they? And come back to me when you know what you're talking about, Marxist.

I use the term marxist because that's what all people who take the "let's hate big corporations" stance tend to consider themselves. I'm certainly not pro ruthless greed, but I think it's hypocritical of Irish people to take extreme left-wing views on economics. Like it or not, as Irish people, we have grown up experiencing the benefits of a free market. That doesn't make the free market a good thing overall - there are plenty of awful, unjust aspects to it. However, it does offer opportunities to would-be entrepreneurs. Say you or your mate wanted to open a shop or a bar, that's made possible because of the state not regulating the market. You wouldn't have a problem with that, would you? It's fair enough to have a social conscience, but ranting against big corporations is just tired, cliched nonsense.
    Ag marbh wrote:
    Examples?

You want me to give you examples of people being caught shoplifting because they were spotted through security camers? Go read the court pages of the Evening Herald...

Ag marbh wrote:
    You must be joking?

Yeah. I'm a real comedian.

But I pay my way through life. My empoyers pay me from the profits they earn reselling products. If they don't make a profit, I don't get paid. If their profits aren't at least sustained, I don't get a payrise. Hilarious concept. Boom boom.

Your stance on this matter suggests you see nothing wrong with the actions of 'thief' and his crooked mate. On the basis that you've admitted that you're a serial thief, perhaps it's too much to expect you'll understand that stealing is something honest people identify as typical behaviour of petty criminals and scumbags alike.

I'm not suggesting the OP do anything to land himself or his buddy in trouble with either the shop or the Gardaí. I'm suggesting he recognise that costs are incurred by business above and beyond the retail value of an item following his actions in obtaining whatever product he CHOSE not to purchase. It would be a 'returned' product which can't be sold as new and believe it or not, Irish business has to comply with the law with regard to accurately describing a product they are selling. That's a loss of margin on that product for the victimised business. Why should they absorb the costs incurred as a result of the OP's illegal pursuits?

I'd suggest you start towing the line when it comes to the law Ag Marbh if you've not been caught already. Or perhaps you have been caught. Maybe you're bitter about the 'injustice' of having your hand caught in the till as you pilfered from your employer. Maybe, maybe. But I can't believe you're ignorant enough to really believe that either your or the OP's actions can be justified in any way.

And another thing, leave out the references to Globalisation. You don't know what you're talking about if you think the anti-glob arguments are in any way relevant to theft of products or services.

Gil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Thief wrote:
    They asked me to promise it wouldn't happen again but I seriously can't. .

what, so you actually are a kleptomaniac?
    you physically cant help stealing things?

im sure the judge will be fair to you.

in all fairness, stop mucking about, and shoulder a little bit of responsibility. no one made you do anything.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The bottom line is stealing is wrong. It's wrong morally and legally. There's absolutely no way to justify it. All this bullpoo about it being from capitalist b*****ds is nonsense. It doesn't matter if you stole if you stole from your parents wallet, from the cornershop or from a giant corporation.

The shop didn't have security cameras- so you're saying they were asking for it? It's their fault? Stop trying to justify it and make excuses for your appalling behaviour. You could have said no to this "oppertunity".

I think you should feel bad. You should feel guilty. How would you like it if someone stole something belonging to you? I agree with Gil_Dubs suggestion of bringing it back anonymously, only because you seem to have some level of regret. And decide that you will never do something like that again, no matter how "good" the oppertunity is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The OP is wrong, fair enough, but I presume everyone else here has always resisted temptation? He saw a chance, he took it. The hysteria around his actions are surprising, he already admitted he was wrong.

Gil_Dub wrote:
    Yeah. I'm a real comedian.

But I pay my way through life. My empoyers pay me from the profits they earn reselling products. If they don't make a profit, I don't get paid. If their profits aren't at least sustained, I don't get a payrise. Hilarious concept. Boom boom.

Your stance on this matter suggests you see nothing wrong with the actions of 'thief' and his crooked mate. On the basis that you've admitted that you're a serial thief, perhaps it's too much to expect you'll understand that stealing is something honest people identify as typical behaviour of petty criminals and scumbags alike.

I'm not suggesting the OP do anything to land himself or his buddy in trouble with either the shop or the Gardaí. I'm suggesting he recognise that costs are incurred by business above and beyond the retail value of an item following his actions in obtaining whatever product he CHOSE not to purchase. It would be a 'returned' product which can't be sold as new and believe it or not, Irish business has to comply with the law with regard to accurately describing a product they are selling. That's a loss of margin on that product for the victimised business. Why should they absorb the costs incurred as a result of the OP's illegal pursuits?

I'd suggest you start towing the line when it comes to the law Ag Marbh if you've not been caught already. Or perhaps you have been caught. Maybe you're bitter about the 'injustice' of having your hand caught in the till as you pilfered from your employer. Maybe, maybe. But I can't believe you're ignorant enough to really believe that either your or the OP's actions can be justified in any way.

And another thing, leave out the references to Globalisation. You don't know what you're talking about if you think the anti-glob arguments are in any way relevant to theft of products or services.

Gil

I pay my way through life too. I said I stole from jobs during my teens and when I was under the age of 18. While giving myself five finger discounts during that time I was never caught just to relieve you of curiosity. Thinking about it now and if I were in the same job(s) I wouldn't risk it because I know the consequences of what could happen if I were caught while being in my 20's. In saying that though when I think about what I did the feeling of regret or guilt doesn't come over me because in my opinion I was only stealing from a robber. So instead of people giving me a moral lecture on the true meaning of stealing I was simply telling the original poster not to stress over it and it's quite obvious this event has shook him up which would lead you to believe he will think about doing it twice again.

The OP is wrong, fair enough, but I presume everyone else here has always resisted temptation? He saw a chance, he took it. The hysteria around his actions are surprising, he already admitted he was wrong.

Admitting he was wrong does not make it right! He stole. That is a crime and why should he be let get away with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Any more comments regarding globalisation, socialism, capitalism will result in a banning. Keep on topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

People do stupid things, even when they are old enough to know better. You and your friend were very lucky not to get caught. Make amends anonymousyly with the shop. There is little to be achieved here by ruining your life. Learn from it. Re-evaluate your friendship with your so-caled friend. Respect you parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭hepcat

Ag marbh wrote:
    I pay my way through life too. I said I stole from jobs during my teens and when I was under the age of 18. While giving myself five finger discounts during that time I was never caught just to relieve you of curiosity. Thinking about it now and if I were in the same job(s) I wouldn't risk it because I know the consequences of what could happen if I were caught while being in my 20's. In saying that though when I think about what I did the feeling of regret or guilt doesn't come over me because in my opinion I was only stealing from a robber. So instead of people giving me a moral lecture on the true meaning of stealing I was simply telling the original poster not to stress over it and it's quite obvious this event has shook him up which would lead you to believe he will think about doing it twice again.

First of all, you don't pay your way through life - you've admitted you steal / stole wherever and whenever possible.(WTF are five finger discounts? I presume you did not have the ability to give yourself five figure discounts, so maybe you were just using your hand as a calculus.)

You say you have no guilt or regret because you stole from a "robber" - your employer? What made him/it a robber? Maybe they price goods higher to account for losses from thieving employees. You're the hypocrite and robber - agreeing to do a job and take wages from a so called "robber" all the while nicking stuff because you reckon you can get away with it, because of your age. Typical scumbag behaviour.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

A 5 finger discount is slang for stealing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭hepcat

:D Never heard it before, cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I wouldn't bother with this one anymore folks, the original poster sees nothing wrong with what he did. It's not a good lesson to have learned and let's just hope that the next time that he does it that the guards get involved and do him properly.

• Advertisement

hepcat wrote:
    First of all, you don't pay your way through life - you've admitted you steal / stole wherever and whenever possible.(WTF are five finger discounts? I presume you did not have the ability to give yourself five figure discounts, so maybe you were just using your hand as a calculus.)

You say you have no guilt or regret because you stole from a "robber" - your employer? What made him/it a robber? Maybe they price goods higher to account for losses from thieving employees. You're the hypocrite and robber - agreeing to do a job and take wages from a so called "robber" all the while nicking stuff because you reckon you can get away with it, because of your age. Typical scumbag behaviour.

I do pay my way through life. If you read my post ya might have came across the part when I said the stealing was done in my teens and under the age of 18 and then if you bothered to read anymore you just might have seen the part about me being in my 20s. There was no thinking about it, I got away with it and it's great. I hope you enjoyed sweating for the items I got for nothing.

lalalala

Ag marbh's posting rights on PI have been stolen from him. I doubt he'll mind though eh?

Gordon wrote:
    Ag marbh's posting rights on PI have been stolen from him. I doubt he'll mind though eh?

You anti-democratic pig!

Aye, just as well this isn't a democracy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

I for one, have enjoyed this thread, From thief to moral guardians..Excellent stuff :D:D

MarinoMark wrote:
    I for one, have enjoyed this thread, From thief to moral guardians..Excellent stuff :D:D

marino
    read the charter with regards to useless comments
    B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

I'm surprised by the over analysis on this thread. Yes, of course stealing is wrong but its not like the OP mugged a little old lady. We need to put this in perspective.

OP, returning the item is probably not the best option here. If you've already been using it, they won't be able to resell it. Every large company has funds in place to cover thefts/breakages etc. Your best bet is to make the donation to charity that you were talking about, that way, people in need will benefit from this whole episode.

And for gods sake, don't steal again. For one thing, if you do it again, you'll be tempted to keep on stealing and you WILL get caught.

And of course, stealing is wrong.

I agree with everything Marie 85 has said. You have been WARNED, young man !!!

marie_85 wrote:
    .....If you've already been using it, they won't be able to resell it....

That doesn't by any stretch of the imagination entitle the OP to keep the item in question. He shouldn't sell it or give it to someone else as it's stolen.Return it to the owner - The shop/business from where it was stolen. Let them decide what to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

marie_85 wrote:
    We need to put this in perspective...........stealing is wrong.

Do you think white collar crime is ok? Is it worse for the granny to be mugged or for hundreds of thousands of grannies to lose their pensions?

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Do you think white collar crime is ok? Is it worse for the granny to be mugged or for hundreds of thousands of grannies to lose their pensions?

No crime is OK. Bringing home paper, ink cartridges, pens and so forth from the job is stealing! That is also wrong.

As for thief, he has stolen and should return the stuff to the owner.

Simple...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement