Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.300Win-Mag

Options
  • 01-03-2006 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hello All
    I am sceriously looking at a Blaser R93 LRS-2 in .300Win-Mag has anyone here had any expierence with this round. www.blaser.de Im getting a good price on this rifle at the moment and am not quite sure what to do was thinking of trading the remi 700 .308 in for it ( Keeping the Schmidt&Bender dough):)

Any Advice??:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

I was thinking of this calibre also, to be used as an all rounder ( deer in Ireland, Plains game in Africa and boar in europe). Is it too heavy for deer? or is there any such thing as being too heavy for deer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Oz2

Depending on the type of country you are hunting I guess. The .308 will do the trick on any of your deer up to 200m or so provided that the right projectile is selected and placed in the right spot. The .300 is just a bit more of a good thing and you can use some heavier projectiles. Have a look at the various balistics charts. In all it is just a more emphatic killer than the .308. It might cost a bit more per round and the recoil is a bit heavier. It kills big boars without any fuss whatsoever.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Tom,
    What is the intended quarry, Elk, Bear ? In Grizzly country a .338 would be preferable. It is a good long distance (400m plus) Elk, Caribou caliber, though.
    I have never owned a .300 mag. but have shot that caliber several times and my one big criticism of the .300 is the amount of recoil that the round produces. I have shot a .375 H&H, a 416 Rigby & a .458 Lott, all heavy hitting rifles on dangerous game so I understand the effects of recoil. To be honest,the .300 mag. really does punish the shooter, making long sessions at the range a very grueling situation. If you are not careful, you can easily develop a flinch in your shooting style. With a well fitted rifle, proper training, and a gradual easing into the .300, you can overcome this problem.

I would much rather see a hunter carrying a .308 or a 30.06 that he can shoot well rather than a .300 Magnum that causes him to flinch. Bullet placement is paramount.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

to Double Barrell
    To be Honest I was going to use it for target shooting and for deer. I have a .308win at the minute but i am getting a really good deal on this blaser that the dealer has in stock and she is chambered for .300win-mag now i know that you can change the barrels on the blaser R93 so if all went to all i could do that and stick to the .308 that i am ust to.. I Know all about its hard hitting recoil i have over ten years of expierence shooting all types of rifles so flinching is not a problem. im between two minds what to do TBH i just said id see what the lads here tought of:) it

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

I say buy it, it's mental!!:D :D
    lrs2ganz.gif

• Advertisement

Tom,
    You can sandbag that puppy at a bench rest. :D Help's tame the beast.

The .300 mag. is very capable of extending out past 1000 meters reliably, reaching 1200meters on a nice calm day without much effort. The 190gr Sierra Match King @ at 2900 fps works well.

sandbag her:D
    Prob want something like a railwaysleeper:D
    I was suprised how light the rifle is compard to the Remi it would be very easy to lug it around the Wicklow mountains at the moment its a full workout just getting rhe Remi out of the jeep:rolleyes:

Tom,
    Light eh....how much do you think it weighs?

I remember reading somewhere that tests had demonstrated that the average shooter could not withstand over 20 ft. lbs. of recoil without developing a flinch, and that a maximum of about 15 ft. lb.. is a safer bet.

And:

A typical 8 pound .300 Magnum rifle shooting a 180 grain factory load pounds the shooter with about 26.5 ft. lb.. of recoil energy. An 8.5 pound .300 Weatherby Mag. rifle shooting the 180 grain factory load pounds the shooter with about 35 ft. lb.. of recoil energy.

Not saying your average. :D

Approx. 4.8kg without scope.

http://www.blaser.de/english/produkte/r93/lrs2.htm

This article is a pretty good read on this rifle if you have not seen it.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_2_49/ai_95680074

Good Luck

To Double Barrell
    Yes i know what you are saying. I was thinking the same thing. The Blaser is a bit light i would prefer it to be a bit heaver so that the weight would help soak up some of the recoil. at 4.8kg i think it would lep out of your hand. prob would need to rachid strap it to the bench rest:D
    Its a catch 22 in a way!
    il see what happens i might opt for the .308 barrell prob have to wait a while to get that in dough..

Thanks anyway..cheers:)

• Advertisement

Ha..
    Ive just been watching mythbusters and they were firing a .50bmg into a swimming pool:eek:
    apparently you would be safe from it if you were half a meter under the water.. ehh dont think id fancy trying it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

they mere using a armor percin round a .22 will go further;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Only experiance I have with them is;my cousin has one ,a Weatherby 300 win mag.The more it is shot ,and the warmer the barrel becomes ,the accuracy and patterns open up and degenirate.Not by alot but could be enough to make a difference on a hunt or score.It certainly doesnt seem to be a rapid fire round anyway,in a weatherby that is.Maybe a design glitch in the rifle,but one to keep an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

In the heat of the hunt I have never noticed recoil, having fired a .416 rigby both in the field and on the range I know all about perceived recoil!

Concussion may be the best description on the range, but on bear in Belarus I never noticed the slightest shove. Similarly with a 3in mag in the shotgun, saw the fox and wondered where was the recoil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CrippleCreek

If I may jump in with a comment about the .300WM. I hunt here in Montana USA with a .30-06 and have owned a .338WM in the past. I have also shot the .300 some. The recoil off the .300 is a bit stiffer than the .30-06 but not really all that much. A friend has a .300 a he won't shoot more than a few rounds per year. But then again another friend has one and he shoots it all the time. I believe how the rifle fits you and fitted with a good recoil pad the .300 can be pleasant to shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

A 6.5 X 55 is all that you need for deer in this country.:rolleyes:

As Clare Gunner was saying..
    I Dont like the idea of the accuracy opening up as she heats up that would not appel to me at all:( the swift heats up like a mad thing after 5-7 rounds and the accuracy is ok but at the speed of the swift you would expect it to heat up. id prob be better off sticking to the .308 and like keelan said thats plenty of punch for shooting in this country:)

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

TomBeckett wrote:
    As Clare Gunner was saying..
    I Dont like the idea of the accuracy opening up as she heats up that would not appel to me at all:( the swift heats up like a mad thing after 5-7 rounds and the accuracy is ok but at the speed of the swift you would expect it to heat up. id prob be better off sticking to the .308 and like keelan said thats plenty of punch for shooting in this country:)

Good choice.;) .308, plenty enough, with cheap ammo for practice too.:)

Advertisement