Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing Machine tearing clothes

Options
  • 01-03-2006 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

I have a Candy washing machine, less than 1 year old, which has started to rip clothes when spinning. Shirts regularly come out with the ends of a sleeve frayed.
    I've checked inside the drum, all around the edges of the drum and anywhere I can reach, but I cannot find any sign of a rough edge or the like.

It seems to be less likely to happen on the lower spin speeds.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

stop buying cheap shirts!!! ;)

when the machine is spinning the clothes will be glued to the drum due to the forces involved....they won't be rubbing off anything...are they frayed or ripped??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

A piece of wire (from an under-wire bra) may have lodged behind the drum and is sporadically catching clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Litcagral wrote:
    A piece of wire (from an under-wire bra) may have lodged behind the drum and is sporadically catching clothes.
    yeah thats what I was going to suggest...
    Again, frayed or ripped/torn?
    Does it look like friction or it caught on something?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Mredmond

Gryzor wrote:
    stop buying cheap shirts!!! ;)

when the machine is spinning the clothes will be glued to the drum due to the forces involved....they won't be rubbing off anything...are they frayed or ripped??

mmm... I'd call them badly frayed, although in case a jumper came out with a small hole in it. What's the thinking behind the question?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

re-read your manual man, your more than likely selecting the wrong program, if you wash cottons on a wool wash the clothes will come out with knicks all over them, if you dont select the correct program for the specific clothes or if you mix different fabrics this is the result

its fairly rare for anything else to cause it, i get about 20 calls a day from people with the same problem and this always solves it (i work for a white goods manufacturer)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Mredmond wrote:
    I have a Candy washing machine, less than 1 year old, which has started to rip clothes when spinning. Shirts regularly come out with the ends of a sleeve frayed.
    I've checked inside the drum, all around the edges of the drum and anywhere I can reach, but I cannot find any sign of a rough edge or the like.

It seems to be less likely to happen on the lower spin speeds.

Any ideas?

My Candy machine does this too!!!!! Mine is about 4 yrs old. i reckoned that it rips clothes when I over fill it and some clothes get wedged near the door. Maybe we shopuld contact Candy. I took a ripped towel (!) out the other day.

Advertisement