Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Long Wave Radio (198)

• 01-03-2006 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I need to get access to LW198 (I'm in Limerick).

I can't get access online (it's a BBC Five Live station) as it's only available online to UK users.

Does anyone know if it's possible to pick up that station here on an AM radio?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

LW198 is Radio 4. Radio 5 is 606 / 909 mw. You should be able to get them on the net, I've been listening that way for years. Unless you tried to access 5live when a football match or other sporting event was on - you can't listen on the internet because of copyright restrictions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 datsright1

tbh wrote:
    LW198 is Radio 4. Radio 5 is 606 / 909 mw. You should be able to get them on the net, I've been listening that way for years. Unless you tried to access 5live when a football match or other sporting event was on - you can't listen on the internet because of copyright restrictions

The cricket (yeah, I know, cricket) is on LW198 but I can't access it online as you say.

Just wondering is it possible to pick it up down in Limerick and if anyone has any ideas what the quality is like if it is possible.

datsright1 wrote:
    The cricket (yeah, I know, cricket) is on LW198 but I can't access it online as you say.

Just wondering is it possible to pick it up down in Limerick and if anyone has any ideas what the quality is like if it is possible.

LW / FM split out for the cricket - FM is womens hour (yeah, I know, womens hour) now - I'm listening online as we...eh..type. Should be possible to get it on longwave, reception isn't great but better than nothing. I got a radio player from accura, it uses a broadband wireless connection to stream realaudio / mp3 . its brilliant - fm quality and great sound quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I know of one person able to get 198 LW in Limerick, so it is possible. Another way, satellite. If you have Sky digital, you can turn into 5 Live Sports Extra and Radio 4 LW. They are not on Sky's channel guide, but you can manually tune them in. A guide here.

is that r4 lw DMC? I thought it was the FM stream.

• Advertisement

Both are there. Some people need the Daily Service too. :)

cool! thanks for that - nice to have the choice even if you never use it :p

No worries. Just to add, you dont need a Sky Digital box to receive BBC channels via satellite, a free-to-air satellite receiver will do too. Lidl often have these on special a couple of times a year, for around €100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Callum Bevan

datsright1 wrote:
    I need to get access to LW198 (I'm in Limerick).

I can't get access online (it's a BBC Five Live station) as it's only available online to UK users.

Does anyone know if it's possible to pick up that station here on an AM radio?
    As long as it has Long wave on it, you'll be able pick it up . ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Callum Bevan

datsright1 wrote:

If you wanna listen to it online go to www.radiofeeds.co.uk and you get the choice between Windows Media Player stations and Real Player stations. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement