Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Astra- Any Comments?

Options
  • 01-03-2006 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭

I am looking at the new Opel Astra. Anyone got and comments or constructive critisism of it. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

I am looking at the new Opel Astra. Anyone got and comments or constructive critisism of it. Thanks
    Had an Astra GTC (3 door version) for a weekend and here's what I noticed
    PROs
    • Very enjoyable to drive
    • Excellent handling
    • 1.4 Ecotec engine enjoyed revving
    • Good sound system
    • Audio controls on steering wheel was very nice & very safe
    • Nice comfy figure hugging seats
    • High waistline and low seating position made it feel very racy
    CONs
    • Annoying indicator stalk, it always stayed in the same position so was difficult to tell just by touch if the indicator was on or not...I drive with music very loud so can't hear the ticking
    • Heater controls were too low and some of them were occluded from line of sight so difficult to make them out
    • Huge blind spot in the C-pillar when reversin
    • Air-con sapped power, I always made sure it was off when I was overtaking
    • Dash looked tacky in my opinion
    Not sure about economy cause to be honest I had the car on trial for a weekend so drove the a#@e out of it. The cons I have really was nit picking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

fletch wrote:
    Had an Astra GTC (3 door version) for a weekend and here's what I noticed
    PROs
    • Very enjoyable to drive
    • Excellent handling
    • 1.4 Ecotec engine enjoyed revving
    • Good sound system
    • Audio controls on steering wheel was very nice & very safe
    • Nice comfy figure hugging seats
    • High waistline and low seating position made it feel very racy
    CONs
    • Annoying indicator stalk, it always stayed in the same position so was difficult to tell just by touch if the indicator was on or not...I drive with music very loud so can't hear the ticking
    • Heater controls were too low and some of them were occluded from line of sight so difficult to make them out
    • Huge blind spot in the C-pillar when reversin
    • Air-con sapped power, I always made sure it was off when I was overtaking
    • Dash looked tacky in my opinion
    Not sure about economy cause to be honest I had the car on trial for a weekend so drove the a#@e out of it. The cons I have really was nit picking

Great review - many thanks for that

Anyone else got any comments

fletch wrote:
    Had an Astra GTC (3 door version) for a weekend and here's
    [*]Air-con sapped power, I always made sure it was off when I was overtaking

[/list]

Aircon always saps a few revs. But affecting overtaking? :confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Aircon on a 90bhp 1.4 will have a marked effect on power and economy. You could quite easily loose 10% of your engines output.

Turn it off when it's not needed. Run it at least 30 minutes per week though, as circulation of the coolant actually lubricates the hoses too. A/c system repairs are not cheap.

I reckon in 3 door form the Astra is a cracking looking car, but it's not near as attractive in 5 door form.

The other negative is the rear axle does not have rear independent suspension, unlike the competing Golf and Focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ford_Focus_Man

Found it a very comfortable drive :)

But any idea what the long-term economy is like on these cars?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Found it a very comfortable drive :)

But any idea what the long-term economy is like on these cars?

Should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

ronoc wrote:
    Aircon always saps a few revs. But affecting overtaking? :confused:
    Yeh there was a marked difference in overtaking ability with it turned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

my main reservation about going for a 5 door Astra (apart from the indicator stalks, which I couldn't get to grips with!) would be the large percentage of Astras being bought by Enterprise and other rental companies, does not bode well for resale value

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭curiosity

colm_mcm wrote:
    my main reservation about going for a 5 door Astra (apart from the indicator stalks, which I couldn't get to grips with!) would be the large percentage of Astras being bought by Enterprise and other rental companies, does not bode well for resale value

True of a few cars, Focus etc, never hurts to consider it if buying new.

Never driven current Astra, but totally agree on comments about 3 vs 5 door.
    A few people at work have both and the 3 door looks much more striking imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,416 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Aircon on a 90bhp 1.4 will have a marked effect on power and economy. You could quite easily loose 10% of your engines output

Absolutely. Or use up 10% more petrol when using it
    Turn it off when it's not needed. Run it at least 30 minutes per week though, as circulation of the coolant actually lubricates the hoses too. A/c system repairs are not cheap

Sound advice. *note to self - should switch it on more often*
    I reckon in 3 door form the Astra is a cracking looking car

Yeah like the looks too. Iirc when it came out, it got some good reviews too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Hey who cares if it smokes in church and eyes up your sister, it looks cracking!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Just out of interest, why does the air con affect fuel consumption? Does the petrol run the air con or something. :confused:

It uses power and therefore fuel, supplied by the engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

The ac needs a compressor to run the gases through the system.
    The compressor is belt fed off the engine, and offers up resistance to the engine with the ac on, as does your alternator, driving in daylight with your lights on uses more petrol than if you didn't.

also keep those windows wound up for added fuel efficiency especially at speed. open windows produce huge vortex drag, which slows your car and uses more petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Had one for 4 weeks while my own car was being repaired...wasn't the worst car I've ever driven, but I was happy to be handing it back. Thought the interior was awful, didn't like the exterior either, but I'm guessing you do if you're considering it. I'm not an Opel fan to be honest anyway.

Theres just been a recall on the timing chains on them - so if you're buying second hand I'd make sure its been carried out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Regarding economy - I have a 1.8 2001 Astra which gives me around 300 to 320 miles a tank (around €48) if that's any indication to you. I get nearer 400 miles to a tank on long motorway journeys.

Reliability - I can't fault mine. I've had it from new and haven't had any issues other than needing a new set of rear shocks. Nothing other than regular servicing needed.

Personally I'd got for at least a 1.6 in an Astra class car, but that's personal preference really. There's a great selection of engines now in the Astra, right from 1.3 turbo diesels up to 2 litre turbo petrols, and various trim levels.

I'd buy another without hesitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I have driven the New 1.4 and 1.6 and the 1.6 is a far better car, the engine feels ziggy.

Currently driving a 1.4 1999 with 82.5k miles, running very well. Regular servicing and no crazy driving means that it ll run to 200k miles, well thats goal anyway.

I reckon ill hit the 200k in about 7 years, by then the car will be 13 years old and the mortgage will be half paid for.

Buying a new car and maintaining it for the long term is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

kdevitt wrote:
    Theres just been a recall on the timing chains on them - so if you're buying second hand I'd make sure its been carried out.

afaik the recall has only been on a certain batch of early 5 door models. i think most have been done by now but its worth getting it checked, ring any opel dealer with the chasis number and they will tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

funny thing is you can always hear a new astra before you see it, very noisy chain, a bit like old Fiesta

Advertisement