Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little help here

Options
  • 01-03-2006 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Hey All,
    I'm doing a project in college looking into video game playing - amount of time spent playing, content of games etc. It only takes about 2 mins to finish (seriously); It'd be great if you could fill it out, I'm hoping to get some interesting findings out of it.
    Its at
    http://www.netsoc.tcd.ie/~eoinmcl/poll.html
    Its pretty straightforward, and if you've got any questions about it you can email them to me on the email address at the end of the questionnaire.

Cheers
    Evilution

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I completed the survey but the questions on your personal beliefs are somewhat basic. "It's sort of ok to hit someone" etc...

I think you could probably rephrase that set of questions, they sound like they are written by a 5 yo (no offence).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

The questions are laughable. I don't see what sort of conclusion you plan on making from a set of questions as basic as those.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

I gather from all the "if I hit so and so is it wrong" that you're looking at violence I games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

Cheers for the feedback guys, and yep, I'm keeping the questions as basic (and in a sense childish) as possible. Its just to paint a clearer picture of the findings (hopefully).

Merrick wrote:
    I gather from all the "if I hit so and so is it wrong" that you're looking at violence I games?

Yep, thats about the height of it. Makes an ideally good topic for a project, but if you ever think of doing it, don't!

• Advertisement

Believe it or not, I'm doing games development at college and we had to study the effects of violence in games before!

Merrick wrote:
    Believe it or not, I'm doing games development at college and we had to study the effects of violence in games before!

Wheres that then? Carlow?

Dundalk IT

And hows it going?
    I find that on the topic of video game violence there has been a ridiculously large amount of frankly awful research done into it.

Oh yes we got to learn all about the awful research that was done. A lot of the experiments tested the effects of violence in general on children, but there was no control experiments or anything, and the results weren't especially convincing. My entire class has concluded that video game violence doesn't turn children into serial killers, as far as I can see it only has an effect on highly suggestible people who were mad to begin with. the media plays this sort of thing up way too much.

• Advertisement

True enough about the media. It seems like every few months when they run out of cack to scaremonger people with, they roll in the time-honoured "videogames are turning your kid into charlie manson" articles.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I hope you find an audience as sizeable as the boards games section audience elsewhere to take your survey because the boardsters on this forum are quite educated and strongly opposed to blaming video games for violence.

Your survey will look like the entire population is educated enough to know that violence in video games needs a catalyst to bring out violence in people - be it bad parenting, agressive environments or miseducation with access to weapons etc. etc. Joe non-techy-gamer soap may have completely different views. So make sure you hunt down a few Joe Soaps.

Oh and post up your results when you collate them. I'd be interested in seeing them.

I hope you find an audience as sizeable as the boards games section audience elsewhere to take your survey because the boardsters on this forum are quite educated and strongly opposed to blaming video games for violence.

Your survey will look like the entire population is educated enough to know that violence in video games needs a catalyst to bring out violence in people - be it bad parenting, agressive environments or miseducation with access to weapons etc. etc. Joe non-techy-gamer soap may have completely different views. So make sure you hunt down a few Joe Soaps.

Yeah man, I've been posting on a lot of forums today, some game related, some not. I'm just wondering if I can pick up on any cultural diffs too, or country diffs at least.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Oh and make sure you get some yanks to do it. That seems to be the eye of the storm so to speak.

I'd get a few off the street too - forums tend to be packed with techy people that will defend anything electronic - just reckon it'll biased otherwise.

I'll see about getting my whole class to do it, that'll make for some lovely biased findings lol! Let us know about the cultural differences if you find anything interesting.

Merrick wrote:
    I'll see about getting my whole class to do it, that'll make for some lovely biased findings lol! Let us know about the cultural differences if you find anything interesting.

Sure, the more the merrier. You reckon they'll all be the same answers as yours? :-)
    What was the consensus of the lecturer who gave you that class, by the way?
    Oh and make sure you get some yanks to do it. That seems to be the eye of the storm so to speak..

Yeah, I've stuck it up on gamespot.com's forum which is pretty big. PCGamer too (although thats UK), and a few others.

And a bunch of non-tech one's, but they're a harder sell, if you know what I mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

Evilution wrote:
    Hey All,
    I'm doing a project in college looking into video game playing - amount of time spent playing, content of games etc. It only takes about 2 mins to finish (seriously); It'd be great if you could fill it out, I'm hoping to get some interesting findings out of it.
    Its at
    http://www.netsoc.tcd.ie/~eoinmcl/poll.html
    Its pretty straightforward, and if you've got any questions about it you can email them to me on the email address at the end of the questionnaire.

Cheers
    Evilution
    I've gone through the survey twice now, once with Mozilla Firefox and once with IE and both times I get to the last page with your details and there is no submit button there.

You say to click on the submit button to complete it.

Yeah I reckon they'd all have pretty much the same answers as me! Our lecturer agreed with us that games don't really cause violence and the media just went overboard with the whole thing.

I've gone through the survey twice now, once with Mozilla Firefox and once with IE and both times I get to the last page with your details and there is no submit button there.

You say to click on the submit button to complete it.

Thats all sorted now dude, just a mixup between what I wanted on the site and what was feasible at the time. Its ok, the answers went in.
    Merrick wrote:
    Yeah I reckon they'd all have pretty much the same answers as me! Our lecturer agreed with us that games don't really cause violence and the media just went overboard with the whole thing.

Its not often you'd find a lecturer taking a stance like that, but I think that people who are more directly involved in it tend to have a less condemning viewpoint of it. A lot of journo's just like to dredge the waters for the latest sensationalist findings and put some spin on them.

Advertisement