Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

license expired since oct/04

Options
  • 01-03-2006 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

My Dad realised the other day that his license expired about 17 months ago (he assumed he had a ten year license). Hes 74 and I'm concerned that he will have difficulty sorting this out - they may not want to be accomodating given his age?

He lives in a rural area so the license is an essential item.

When we approach the Drivers Licensing office about this, what sort of response should we be expecting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Why is it essential in a rural area?:confused:

Why is it essential in a rural area?:confused:

Are you serious?

ronoc wrote:
    Are you serious?

I meant why does he think that its more essential in a rural area - Its essential everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 psyched1000

Why is it essential in a rural area?
    NO license = No car = No transportation.
    Bit difficult to 'nip down the shops' when you live in the middle of nowhere, yes?

Bit difficult to 'nip down the shops' when you live in the middle of nowhere, yes?

YES!
    Getting back to your point

I think he's okay if the license is no more than 2 years expired.
    He will probably have to have a medical report from his GP and submit it with his new application

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Read his post. He's saying a licence is essential everywhere, rural or otherwise. Ie, if you want to drive, you should have a valid licence. No more essential to a rural driver than a city driver, both are drivers, both should have valid licences.

Your dad (or you) should ring the nearest motor tax office, they should be able to tell you what to do. Over 70 the licence is free, afaik, but he'll probably need a medical report that says he's fit to drive.

koneko wrote:
    Read his post. He's saying a licence is essential everywhere, rural or otherwise. Ie, if you want to drive, you should have a valid licence. No more essential to a rural driver than a city driver, both are drivers, both should have valid licences.
    Its clear to anyone with one bloody functioning brain cell what i'm saying!

0_o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

I think he means that the car is essential as it is a rural area but the license is essential for the car

YES!
    Getting back to your point

I think he's okay if the license is no more than 2 years expired.
    He will probably have to have a medical report from his GP and submit it with his new application
    Thanks for that Johnny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Its clear to anyone with one bloody functioning brain cell what i'm saying!

0_o

I'm talking about what johnnyrotten is saying to you, you were getting snotty with him. Learn some manners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,416 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

his license expired about 17 months ago

His license expired more than 4 years ago, the day he turned 70 :eek:

As others said, he'll need a medical cert and his driving license will be for free for him now

Here's everything you need to know, including the forms you can download

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Psyched -

I had a similar problem with my license, which was, I think around 18 months out of date. They renewed it without problem, and told me that a retest is only necessary if it's 10 years out. That said, your father's age may be an issue. Why not just ring up a motor tax office and enquire in the general case? By the way, love the rural area debate!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

O.P. I know what you meant. It's a rural area and if he cannot drive he is stuffed and possibly isolated.

Don't worry about it.

Just remember that everytime he drives without a current licence he is committing an offence.

Just go to the cop shop or the local authority and get a renewal form in to your hot little hand a.s.a.p.

As he is over 70 he will need the licence renewal form to be accompanied by a medical report form from his G.P. The medical report is just a pro-forma [FORM D.501 ?] that his G.P. should have in stock or you can get it when you get the renewal form.

If the G.P. signs the report to say that he is o.k. medically just get the photographs, send in the form and say nothing................

By the way, keep photocopies of everything.

As he is over 70 he can only get a licence for either 1 year or 3 years at a time according to what the G.P. says and then the procedure repeats so get him to diary this somewhere or you do it in your computer.

It was better in previous times when the local authorities issued you with a slip of paper from your last licence as a reminder. I suppose there is no point in doing it now seeing as how so many people change addresses more frequently.

Advertisement