Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan: Pay and Display

Options
  • 01-03-2006 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭

Finally

(a) I'll be able to get through the town now without waiting on someone to pickup their video/milk/chips etc..,

(b) some people might get the lead out of their arse and walk for a change, God only knows the state of the some of them they could do with it.
    COMPLETION of the new Pay and Display zones in Balbriggan is only days away and residents living on streets in the areas effected should now apply for permits.

‘The target date for the start of the scheme is March 7 and we are on track,’ confirmed Martin Sweeney, Administration Officer for the Transportation Department before adding that applications for permits may be obtained by phoning 8905814 or 8905817 or by emailing karen.walsh@fingalcoco.ie.

The residents permit will cost only €25 per annum and will entitle the holder to park without any restriction in the pay and display zone indicated on his or her ticket.

‘One of the objectives of the Balbriggan Traffic and Parking Scheme is to discourage motorists from parking for the entirety of the day in key parking areas in the town which would be better used by residents, shoppers or traders.

‘We feel a greater turn over in these parting space would be better for the both the local people and business,’ commented Mr Sweeney.

There will be parking provision in Balbriggan just outside the centre of the town for long term parking to facilitate people using the rail network or who plan to spend the entire day in the town.

‘The work is ongoing on the lining and the installation of metres and the provision of signing on the pay and display aspect but we are very close to completion,’ continued Mr Sweeney.

He added: ‘It is important to note that the scheme is more than just about pay parking but it is about managing traffic in Balbriggan.’

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Reply to (a), I fcukin hate when people stop their car in the middle of the road and hold the traffic up. I can feel the rage brewing already just thinking about it! ;)

Reply to (b), i'm thinking that these lazy people will just look elsewhere for parking. Drogheda Street will be empty but all the housing estates, like Bath Road, will become full of people parking their cars there for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ashlynch

It's a bit stupid, I drive into teh shop most days just to grab a sandwich, I have to pay?? Are you having a laugh.... It's too far to walk esp when you only have 1/2 an hour lunch..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

ashlynch wrote:
    It's a bit stupid, I drive into the shop most days just to grab a sandwich, I have to pay?? Are you having a laugh.... It's too far to walk esp when you only have 1/2 an hour lunch..

Anyone who can't see the benefit of it obviously doesn't have much vision.

Where exactly do you get your sandwich from in the town, just so we can ascertain how far you'll actually have to walk from a free parking spot?

I like your freudian slip by the way, seems to me you've got the wrong attitude along with many others who want to drive 'into' the shop.
    ashlynch wrote:
    I drive into the shop most days just to grab a sandwich

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭thetrickykid

Agree with Bluetonic here...I'm sorry if it means someone has to pack a lunchbox in the mornings, but the traffic needs to be controlled...its a feckin mess at the mo. And if its absolutely unavoidably necessary to park in town for a few minutes, a couple of scaldy coppers and 20cent coins left in the car will see you right surely.

Just thought I'd update this with the actual prices.

1 euro per hour, maximum of 3 hours.

20 cent for 12 minutes.

Quay street car park will be pay and display, however I'm lead to believe that the lower car park closer to the harbour will be free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

Quay street car park will be pay and display, however I'm lead to believe that the lower car park closer to the harbour will be free.

I dont think it is free, I noticed the pay and display machines there yesterday....

d-redser wrote:
    I dont think it is free, I noticed the pay and display machines there yesterday....

The one where they are finishing off where the sewage works were ongoing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭d-arke

Bluetonic wrote:
    I like your freudian slip by the way, seems to me you've got the wrong attitude along with many others who want to drive 'into' the shop.

Hahaha, Well spotted!!! Had a good auld chuckle over that one :D

Anyone know it this has started yet?

I see all the notification signs are up and they have been 'yellow stickering' cars parked on double yellows last week.

A private company will operate it with two staff protrolling the streets. Bound to make a fortune. Good stuff too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 naughton

Hi, I just rang one of the numbers in the first post, as I use the train station (I drive in from Balrothery, and it would be a bit of a walk every day!!!) and seemingly the church car park is the free parking area. I was also told that you can park at the Football club for three euro a day. I don't know where that is, but will have a nose around.

Anyone else commuting from Balrothery and ever walk it? or cycle? I have just moved into the area so I am sussing out all options, will be purchacing a bicyle too, as i am sure my banger will let me down one of the days.

• Advertisement

I'd assume the football club is the Glebe North football club but i'd imagine there would be fairly limited car-parking available in there. It's located on the market green (first turn right, just beside Sullivan's Estate Agents on Dublin street). It would still be a 10min walk to the train station from here. I'd say you would be better off with a bike, it's nearly all downhill from Balrothery. They way home would be a little bit tougher ;)

sirpsycho wrote:
    I'd assume the football club is the Glebe North football club but i'd imagine there would be fairly limited car-parking available in there. It's located on the market green (first turn right, just beside Sullivan's Estate Agents on Dublin street). It would still be a 10min walk to the train station from here. I'd say you would be better off with a bike, it's nearly all downhill from Balrothery. They way home would be a little bit tougher ;)

To be honest it a five minute walk from The Market Green (Glebe) no longer - via Pump Lane and Church street, over the Prom.

If the Church is free there really is no need to pay the fee for Glebe.

Good idea to get the pay and display in operation before this starts too:
    As part of the Urban and Village Renewal Scheme in Balbriggan, the Water Services Department will start work on the 22nd March next on the replacement of two watermains along Drogheda Street, Bridge Street and Dublin Street, between Convent Lane and the White Hart Inn. In order to minimise future disruption we will also be carrying out essential works as part of the Dublin Region Non-Domestic Metering Project at the same time.

This is a substantial job and its expected that it will take five months to complete the works.There will be some distruption to pedestrians and motorists during this time as the works will require restriction of traffic to one lane in the vicinity of Drogheda Street, Bridge Street and Dublin Street.

Please be assured that we will make every effort to keep this unavoidable disruption and inconvenience to a minimum.

We apologise to pedestrians, residents, motorists, and business people who will inevitably be inconvenienced by this essential work and thank you in advance for your patience and co-operation.

Please contact our Water Services Department on 01 890 5900 with any further queries.

5 minutes? It is if you are jogging ;)

LOL at your comment about the road works, so very true. The Square is coming to completion and I was thinking driving through the town wont be so bad anymore but now this... 5 bloody months (and the rest) of digger carnage and more potholes. :(

sirpsycho wrote:
    5 minutes? It is if you are jogging ;)

I guarantee you it should take no more than five minutes. Problem with the majority of people I see in the town of late is they are so unfit they wouldn't be able for a good fast walk.

Just re-read your original message, the prom would cut down the time alright. I was imagining walking down via the town and station street.
    Problem with the majority of people I see in the town of late is they are so unfit they wouldn't be able for a good fast walk.

Only of late? Lol, sure talk a stroll around fat ass road ;)

By the way, when is the pay and display coming into operation?

oops, double post

They told me when I rang that the pay and display are up and running now, though I don't see any cars with the tickets in place. I was also looking out for
    the wardens and any warning notes on cars, I understand that they may issue these as some residents may not have got their discs yet.

I walked to the train station from the church car park and it took me 10 mins, did it one morning in 7! that was more of a scurry than a walk.
    Will invest in a bike and try it out one morning, looking forward to the down hill glide. A bit nervous though, cycling along an '80k an hour strip', though im sure it would be safe enough in the wee hard shoulder on that road. Anyone have any idea how long it would take to cycle from balrothery to balbrigan? I saw a chap yesterday cycling on what looked like one of those fold up bikes, heading towards balrothery from balbriggan, he had a full lenght coat on and brief case too! An inspiration!!

Was reading the Fingal at lunch and they stated that the P&D will start next week. up until now the traffic wardens were posting warning signs on people's cars who were parked illegally. there is a free bus running every 10mins around the town which also serves the church car park. i thought u had to pay for that bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭dubmick

^ think it's €1 per trip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

sirpsycho wrote:
    Reply to (b), i'm thinking that these lazy people will just look elsewhere for parking. Drogheda Street will be empty but all the housing estates, like Bath Road, will become full of people parking their cars there for the day.

:D it will be cheaper to pay and display, there could be other costs incurred with parking in bath road....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

:D it will be cheaper to pay and display, there could be other costs incurred with parking in bath road....

it's not that bad anymore.

When walking down to the station this morning, I took notice that Chapel Street is not included in the Pay & Display. Any one driving in, this is quite close to the station and it is free.

sgarvan wrote:
    it's not that bad anymore.

Only joking, sure Im from Bath road mesmelf.......

sgarvan wrote:
    Any one driving in, this is quite close to the station and it is free.

Do you not think it is a bad idea to encourage non residents to park in residential areas and leave their car there for 8 hours a day? There's plenty of parking in the church car park for anyone who wants to use the train station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

naughton wrote:
    I saw a chap yesterday cycling on what looked like one of those fold up bikes, heading towards balrothery from balbriggan, he had a full lenght coat on and brief case too! An inspiration!!

Often see Trevor Sergeant doing that. :D

Only joking, sure Im from Bath road mesmelf.......

there's plenty of bath roaders around on these boards...

On another note, seems are we are talking about Bath Road, this new Seal Sanctuary is going to have a very big impact on Bath road with regards to traffic, by all accounts it will attract a lot of visiters (up to 200,000 a year) and the only feasable ruote to the Martello is straight through bath road, I predict serious problems here,

On another note, seems are we are talking about Bath Road, this new Seal Sanctuary is going to have a very big impact on Bath road with regards to traffic, by all accounts it will attract a lot of visiters (up to 200,000 a year) and the only feasable ruote to the Martello is straight through bath road, I predict serious problems here,

As far as I know it's being pushed locally at the moment that any parking for the seal sancturay will be alongside the rebuilt St.Molagas church with some sort of 'walk' down to the seal sanctuary.

Originally they wanted to put the bus park in where the old playground was, but this was opposed immediately.

sirpsycho wrote:
    there's plenty of bath roaders around on these boards...

Bloody northtowners! :)

Bluetonic wrote:
    As far as I know it's being pushed locally at the moment that any parking for the seal sancturay will be alongside the rebuilt St.Molagas church with some sort of 'walk' down to the seal sanctuary.

Originally they wanted to put the bus park in where the old playground was, but this was opposed immediately.

That makes sense, but since when did fingal county council ever use common sense....

• Advertisement

Bluetonic wrote:
    Bloody northtowners! :)

:D best part of balbriggan, unlike the scum from fancourt and hampton cove(brutal at football too:) )

Advertisement