Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parenting show on RTE

Options
  • 01-03-2006 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

Anyone watching? Any good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

yeah i saw it last thur, it was very good.
    it was a single mother of twin boys (aged 3 i think)who were totally out of control.
    she was shown a video of herself with the boys and she broke down crying, she didnt realise how she was with them. she was always frustrated and cross with them, which in turn made them very unhappy, cross and tempermental children.

but seriously , who would blame to poor girl, its bad enough raising one on your own , imagine 2!

anyway the psychologist guy came out and kinda told her which way she should go about things with the kids, there was an instant change with them!!

she was on the late late on fri night and she said life has been brilliant with the boys since. i think that guy who helped was a godsend. she would have had some mental breakdown eventually if it werent for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Yeah, it seems like a good show. You'd pick up some tips even if you're not as badly off as the parents on the show! Good to see some useful, informative reality TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭wexhun

Yea, I thought it was good, I too saw the one with the girl with the 3yr old twin boys. I thought I had my hands full till I saw what she dealt with. Fair play to her shes bringing up thoses two boys single handedly and clearly loves them to bits, sometimes it takes someone on the outside looking in to see what we can't, can't see the woods for the trees sort of thing, sometimes I feel like I could do with a psycholigist in my house!! Wouldn't have the guts to go on national tv though. Its good to watch programmes like that as you feel that when you are having a tough time with the kids that you are not the only one and that there is always a better way to deal with tantrums and such other than losing the head! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

Just seen tonights episode. Damn good, no easy answers, no perfect fixes and reasonably sensitive to all concerned. Nice to watch well made TV for a change. Also agree with the other posters that you pick up tips that actually seem to work if only you can keep doing them ( I know it's all common sense but as wexhun said, wood trees etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've seen both shows and saw the 2 mums on the Late Late. I think the programme is very good, gives good advice and isn't playing up to the camera like supernanny or the american version.
    As the psychologist said you are not aiming to be a perfect parent but to be a good parent and as he has 3 children himself he said he isn't always doing things as he knows he should all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Hmm. Just saw it for the first time. I'd be *very* doubtful about this. Those kids couldn't really give informed consent for their faces and behaviour to be slathered all over the national airwaves like that, surely?

Their parents give consent for them.

Maybe, but is it really fair? Kid is shown behaving very badly, and seven or ten years later he's going for a job...

Do you judge adults on their behaviour as toddlers? Most people don't. In fact, if anything, the show explains that the kids aren't "bad" - they're just not being looked after in such a way as to make them behave well.

And then, those kids are going to have to go to school...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

well, i dont think its going to make a diffirence in 7 or 10 yrs.. perhaps the may get stick in school but surely the end justifies the means. I think its a dam good show. I missed last weeks one where the parents were still spoon feeding a 6 yrs old!!!!!!! times like that you would feel like screaming at the tv. does anyone know if its repeated.

Who will remember with the amount of reality TV shows around these days. I wouldn't call Amnesty International just yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

I saw a bit of it this weeek and seemed to be good but I fell asleep ! The people who need to watch this are all wrecked. The show is on way too late !

Not ness. I was talking a few years ago to an English friend, who came over here to work. He has a slightly unusual name, and he said that he'd met a woman at a bus stop within a couple of weeks of coming to the country who asked him if he was related to a kid who'd died in a sad and unusual accident.

He was. And the accident had happened and been reported in the papers 20 years before.

People do remember things. They don't always remember them right, but they remember them sensationally.

Advertisement