Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new iPod Hi-Fi system

• 01-03-2006 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Oh dear! Horrible!:

060228_ipodhifi_hmed.hmedium.jpg

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11607677/

With the $349 iPod Hi-Fi system, users can dock their portable players into the speakers and use a remote control to operate it from afar. That means there’s no longer a need for a cabinet full of CDs, Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said during a presentation at company headquarters.

“It’s home stereo reinvented for the iPod age,” he said.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

That thing is absolutely hideous! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Maxwell wrote:
    Oh dear! Horrible!:

It just looks like a centre speaker. I also don't see how it "replaces" the stereo because 1) yes it replaces all the cd's but so does a headphone jack to 2 RCA plug into the AUX of an existing hifi, 2) it still has no radio.

As a kitchen stereo it is impractical because the ipod sticks out of the top, and as a main hifi it is redundant because people already have a hifi and might also want a radio. It wont really work as a bedroom unit or a second stereo either because there is no clock or it is too expensive...

I dunno. Seems like just making something for the sake of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Agree,

Its just seems like they are making something just for the sake of selling it - as long as its Ipod white!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Looks like one sub, and two mid-range speakers, presumably for left-right stereo? Either way its horrific, and I can't imagine it would sound anyway decent... if anything it would need a lot of spatial adjustments/filters applied to the input sound to give it a decent stereo effect (like the Bose Wave or equivalent).. and when dealing with MP3s thats just going to result in a bad bad sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

I bet there is a cover for the front - look at the holes ;)

It'll have some fancy cover that will have people wetting themselves as they do already over the ipod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I have no doubt that it actually will sound great*, however, I think that where it fails in "replacing" a stereo, is that many people actually want a radio with their stereo. Also, docking the ipod into the top and having it stick up the way it is in the picture is not very "space efficient" if you compare it to the flat top on most other stereo's.

It will just be another piece of junk that people can throw out once they realise that they want it to do so much more than it actually does/is capable of.

L.

* well as great as speakers of that size and proximity can sound. ie moderately better than mono.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Replaced my Altec Lansing inMotion with this:

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=sounddock_multimedia_index&ck=0

Unbelievable sound quality!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Heinrich - you can always do far better than bose with a given budget! Did you try any other products?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

€379 is not cheap either!

Even if you don't already have a stereo, you'll get a better amp & speakers for the same money or less, e.g.
    http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=2&SUB=16&ProductID=7
    http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=5&SUB=32&ProductID=84

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

commited wrote:
    Heinrich - you can always do far better than bose with a given budget! Did you try any other products?

Did you read my comment above?

The good points for Bose is the aesthetics and sound quality combination! Naturally there is always someone on these boards who wants to piss in the pool. I decided that I wanted Bose and if I wanted something else I would have bought something else!:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Anyway you couldn't possible use 'IPod' and 'Hi-Fi' in the same context. Hi-Fi is short for high fidelity and an iPod ain't that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

That is fúcking hideous, gimme one of these any day:
    boombox.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,142 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

“It’s home stereo reinvented for the iPod age,” he said.
    You are about 2 years behind the times Mr Jobs.
    I have my MP3 player connected up to a set of 2.1 speakers I bought in Lidl for €30.
    Just as good as that thing and $379,your having a laugh surely.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

Looks terrble imo.Pretty stupid Idea too.

Advertisement