Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Saab reveal a "Green" that actually looks good

Options
  • 01-03-2006 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Saab reveals its green machine:

saabgreen_6.jpg
    saabgreen_5.jpg
    saabgreen_3.jpg
    saabgreen_2.jpg

The Aero X is a two-seater coupé that uses bio-ethanol fuel, a bio-degradable, high-octane fuel substitute that’s made from everyday crops. Saab calls its move to earth-friendly fuels “performance with responsibility”. The entire car concept is expected to inspire future cars from the company, so it’s possible even the Top Gear trio will rename themselves “ethanol heads” soon. The engine’s not a dressed-up lawnmower either - you get 400 brake horsepower in its twin-turbo V6 engine. Saab claims its computer tests predict the vehicle will motor from zero to 62mph in 4.9 seconds, with a top speed of 150mph
    www.t3.co.uk
    www.saab.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hahaha, I though you meant the colour green...lol

Anyway looks nice but isnt this the same as the company that was on TV3 that time talking about how they convert over diesel engines so they can use that green fuel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

that cool looks SOOOOOOOOO cool:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Some scientists think bioethanol is not that green. Interesting article here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioethanol#Energy_balance_in_the_United_States
    MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Bio-ethanol, is it good or not? There are always going to be lobby groups versus the con groups - thats the way it currently s with oil versus hybrid. Sadly, most people just don't seem to get the ideas behind hybrid.

This car is spunky, and I would have no hesitation buying one for both the fuel responsibility AND the look - its a pretty neat looking car!

Seanie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Wow, forget about it being green, I'm amazed they managed to make a car that looks nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

bit of an improvement on this.........

saab-95-724s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

FX Meister wrote:
    Wow, forget about it being green, I'm amazed they managed to make a car that looks nice.
    Er, they haven't. It's yet more vapourware concepts produced from the death throes of GM. I don't believe this car is a runner, unlike the 9-5 dual fuel.

Apparently in the Saab 9-5 bio fuel, Ethanol produces about 20% more power than petrol (180bhp vs 150bhp), while consumption rises by 25%. The argument being that you can consume all the ethanol you want because it is renewable and carbon neutral. The oil firms are whinging that it might be expensive to produce, ignoring the fact that oil has proved very expensive to source and produce, if you cost in the amount of wars fought over it. I can't imagine the US raiding Wexford in the great sugar cane wars of 2015.

Sweden aim to have removed their dependency on oil in the next 10 years by moving to home grown bio-ethanol. This should also mean their economy is less dependant on, say, OPEC or even those lunatics across the atlantic. We will be too busy suckling the black sticky stuff from the teat of our imperial masters to care or notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭p~b

i like the "back to the future" doors

• Registered Users Posts: 65,416 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I can't imagine the US raiding Wexford in the great sugar cane wars of 2015

LOL :)

My money would be on bio-diesel from Miscanthus x giganteus as the way forward in the medium term in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Sugar beet farmers facing hardtimes as Siucra plant closes down.

Haulage Companies up in arms over skyrocketing fuel costs.

Changing over to Bio Ethanol or more easilly biodiesel (normal diesel engine can be converted easilly with the addition of a preheater) would solve both these problems.

Is there anyone awake in the dail???

• Advertisement
Advertisement