Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sushi Question

• 01-03-2006 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭

Just curious to see what everyones opinion on Sushi is?

I'm going somewhere that sells sushi and I've never tried it before and don't know what I'm letting myself in for. :rolleyes:

What's good to start with, and hopefully not give me food poisoning :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

You're unlikely to get food poisoning.

Salmon and tuna are good and non offensive for first timers.

Remember a TEENCY bit of wasabi goes a long way if you're not too keen on hot hot relishes.

Mix your wasabi and soy, dip the sushi in, eat and enjoy, then refresh your palate w/ some pickles (normally ginger).

Relax and enjoy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭d-arke

Didn't think about salmon and tuna for some reason. Was thinking more oriental weird cuisine like shark, eels, squid and all that kind of stuff. A good fall back plan, good thinking.

Any idea what sort of money we would be talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There are essentially three different types of sushi, and it comes cooked and raw.

Sashimi - these are thin slices of raw fish. If you want to try these, start with tuna and salmon. They're quite meaty.

Nigiri - pieces on fish on top of a little cake of rice. You can get cooked prawn versions of these, and again, you can try tuna and salmon.

Norimake - this is rolled up rice and fish, wrapped in seaweed paper and sliced into sections. Again cooked and raw versions. You can ask for California roll, which is essentially avocado and prawn, but are lots of other variations.

Just remember, sushi is very healthy food, and very tasty when done right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

I would probably steer clear of the sashimi if it's your first time - this is for the more adventurous!

As dudara said - go for a California or salmon roll. Pour a little soy sauce into the saucer they provide you with, dip the roll in and eat. Try a small bit if wasabi with it - that's the green stuff that looks like chewing gum, or some ginger - the whitey stuff. Go easy on them though - both can be very strong!

In Japan any time I had Sushi/ Sashimi it was treated more as a snack than a meal. Usually in a pub/ bar you would order it along with your drinks.
    But here I believe people use it as a starter.

I'm going to a sushi bar in London, one those kind that has the revolving conveyor belt and the chefs are in the middle cooking and you tell them what you want of the conveyor belt

• Advertisement

bedlam wrote:
    Mixing wasabi and soy sauce is generally a no no as it is rather insulting to the chef as he will have already added in enough on or in the rice so as not to overpower the other flavours.

With regards to the conveyor belt restaurants you usually dont interact with the chefs but pick what takes your fancy as it passes by.
    Most sushi bars I've been in haven't put wasabi on the sushi, I think it's a nod to some of the Westerners who eat theirs with none. The one he's going to is in slightly more metropolitan London though, so fair point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Is there a proper conveyor belt sushi bar in Dublin anywhere?

Didn't the AYA behind Georges St. have one when they begun? I'm not sure if they sill do, but I wouldn't imagine they have the volume to sustain it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'm going to a sushi bar in London, one those kind that has the revolving conveyor belt and the chefs are in the middle cooking and you tell them what you want of the conveyor belt

If it's YO!Sushi, they don't put wasabi in the sushi, so you can mix it with the soy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

am I right in saying that Mayo is used in Sushi over here ??

• Advertisement

s8n wrote:
    am I right in saying that Mayo is used in Sushi over here ??
    No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Sushi = winnar. It's among the best tasting foods I have ever eaten. Go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

Shabadu wrote:
    No.
    So whats the mayo like substance used in a califonria roll

bedlam wrote:
    One of two things depending on the recipe, crab meat mixed with mayo (instead of crab sticks) or Japanese Mayonnaise.

You seem to know your sushi Bedlam, where would you recommend for the best sushi in Dublin?

BuffyBot wrote:
    If it's YO!Sushi, they don't put wasabi in the sushi, so you can mix it with the soy.

It is YoSushi I'm going to, not sure what to expect :eek: I think I'll stick to the tuna dishes and maybe try something like crab or something exotic for the sake of being able to say i've tried it :) Even if it means not feeling well for days after :D

bedlam wrote:
    One of two things depending on the recipe, crab meat mixed with mayo (instead of crab sticks) or Japanese Mayonnaise.
    Oh, didn't know that. I have to say, it's never been in a california roll that i've eaten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Marks and Spensers do sushi snack packs from about 3 euros to larger ones for 8 euros.
    They don't contain raw fish, but do have prawn, tuna, salmon and veggies.
    They will give you some idea of what to expect and what things taste like and you can pull all your first time yuk faces at home before eating in a sushi restruant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Morrigan

Sushi is easy enough to eat, I think, regardless of the type of fish being used. In fact "Sushi" actually refers to the rice, which is soaked in a type of vinegar before it is used to. So sushi doesn't have to contain fish. Aya in Dublin does some nice sushi rolls (maki) using chicken...
    Eel is good - a bit crunchy but usually marinaded in sweet sauce so it tastes lovely. Jellyfish is crunchy too, and a little strange tasting but good with soy suace. I have never been brave enough to try roe or fish eggs... maybe some day...
    If you find you don't really like the taste, do try mixing wasabi with soy sauce (I've never, ever heard of this being an insult to the chef. It was normal thing to do when I was in Japan) and dip the sushi in it - it covers any dodgy taste great. Then use the ginger to cleanse the palate and get your tongue ready to taste a different type of sushi.
    You probably will get free green tea with the sushi... give that a try too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Personally I'd go for Aya (last time I was there, it wasn't great), with Yamamori's second.

Where is Chai Yo located?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

the belt in aya is great - and since it got renovated - its doubled in size

• Advertisement

MiCr0 wrote:
    the belt in aya is great - and since it got renovated - its doubled in size

but is the fish still flapping about on the plate is what I wanna know?
    I want to find the freshest sashimi in Dublin, so far I have had to make my own.
    The guy in Temple bar sells Sashimi grade tuna so last weekend I made that with a soy dipping sauce and some of his scallops, the scallops were so sweet it was unreal, but I would like some place to get this on a night out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i don't think aya will ever be super grade sushi - but for the time being its all we've got

MiCr0 wrote:
    i don't think aya will ever be super grade sushi - but for the time being its all we've got

True, true. The only dedicated sushi restaurant in Dublin (Ireland?). I rememeber another sushi restuarant opened for about 5 minutes in Templebar back in 1997, called simply "O-sushi". They were gone by the time I came back from Japan a year later. Such a pity.

Is Ayumi Ya still open? - they used to have a restaurant on baggot street and one in Blackrock- went to the one in Blackrock years ago. Small and authentic. They also did sushi.

Ayumi Ya used be behind the horse and cart ai in Blackrock,I dont think they are about anymore, the one on baggot street is gone a while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sushi ftw, especially salmon yum!

Just an update for everyone who cares, had my first sushi experience yesterday. Not sure what to make of it to be honest. Found it was a bit bland. I'll try and remember what I had.

Firstly, I think I had the Californian Roll which wasn't bad, it had crab it anyways. It was alright, tasty enough.

Secondly: cucumber in rice surrounded by seaweed type thing. Very bland.

Thirdly: Some hot pumkin type thing in breadcrumbs with mayo.....UMMMMM.

Fourthy: Little prawns with lettuce wrapped in see through type seaweed, with a little sweet chilli dip. Yumeee!!!

Fifthly: Tuna something or another with rice. Wasn't that exciting, raw tuna is a bit......jelly like.

Sixthly: Oh god this is the worst and don't recommend it to anyone. I said before I went and be adventureous and try something different. Well there was all these dishes going around on the conveyor belt and there was a few with like a bed of rice and some slices of fish lying on top, but I didn't want to go for salmon or tuna etc so it was a choice between squid or octopus. I chose Octopus!!!! The minute it hit the mouth I was about to spit it out. But held on, chewed, nearly through up, continued chewing, followed by more chewing, and yet more chewing, then just bit the bullet and just swollowed. The thing is revolting! I'm not sure how to describe what it tasted like, it was the worst thing I've ever tried.

Overall though, It was an okay experience, I won't be running back anytime soon.

PS. How the hell do you use chopsticks? Give me a fork any day.

-yeah octopus is only good when deep-fried, as far as I'm concerned... If you find something bland that's what the soy sauce and wasabi are there for :)

as for chopsticks - once you get the hang of them they're class . I think they're just a little more sophisticated and elegant than forks and knives... I use them like this:
    Grip one between the base of your thumb and the base of your index (pointing) finger.
    Then curl your little finger and ring finger (the one next to the little finger) and press the chopstick against the ring finger. This chopstick isn't moved. You keep it still.
    Next use your other hand to place the second chopstick so that your remaing fingers - middle and index) can grasp it, with the help of your thumb - basically your index finger will be pressing down lightly on the chopstick, supported from beneath by the nail of your middle finger, and steadied from the side by your thumb...
    Easy, no? ;)
    Here's a link with diagrams...
    http://asiarecipe.com/chopsticks.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

OT: I had some Okonomiyaki yesterday and I felt like I would never eat anything else ever again. I <3 Japanese food :p

BuffyBot wrote:
    OT: I had some Okonomiyaki yesterday and I felt like I would never eat anything else ever again. I <3 Japanese food :p

MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... Okonomiyaki is yummy!!!
    Have you ever tried Oyakodon? Egg and chicken "omellette" on rice... gorgeous, and really easy to make. Or Omu Rice? Another egg and rice dish. Absolute bliss!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I tried Sushi for the first time a few weeks ago in Chicago and did not like it at all! I actually got rather upset because I couldnt eat the stuff and my mates were mad into it!:( I tried some type of roll with crab then a tuna roll and then some roll with salmon. I think its the texture of the food and it being cold that just doesn't do it for me.

I like seafood but I think I'll be sticking to the cooked variety.

Advertisement