Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sushi Question

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... Okonomiyaki is yummy!!!

You will not hear me disagree :D
    Have you ever tried Oyakodon? Egg and chicken "omellette" on rice... gorgeous, and really easy to make. Or Omu Rice? Another egg and rice dish. Absolute bliss!

Not yet, but someday soon *cackles*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Just finished making and eating a pile of Sushi.
    Smoked mackerel, Carrot, Avocado and a little pickled ginger, wrapped in Nori and with a good dollop of Wasabi and Kikkoman Soya sauce for a dip.
    Deelish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭d-arke

Okay now I know I said I wouldn't be going back in a while, but I did :(

Wasn't so bad this time round, though I got worse with the chopsticks. Decided to go for some of the cook dishes as well as some of the raw fish.

Last time, I tried Octopus. So this time I tried Clam on a bed of Rice. Not quite as bad as the Octopus, it just didn't really have a taste to it.

Also, this time I tried the Wasabi. Who the hell invented that stuff. Not sure what's worse, Wasabi or Octopus. I won't be going near either ever again. And then there's also this like Ginger flakes type thing, talk about a strong taste. Was okay though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

me enjoying a giant "bridge" of sushi in New York
    sushi8mp.th.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

*drools*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Morrigan

*double drools*
    It's been too long since I had sushi... I tried making it for the first time ages ago but the effort involved just didn't seem worth it :( Despite that I bought sushi rice, vinegar, nori and a rolling mat months ago, but I haven't had the nerve to try home-made stuff again.
    As tomorrow is pay-day I'll splash out on Sushi 55 to calm the craving...

I love making sushi, it seems kind of daunting at first but the trick is just to have all the ingredients that you will use on hand and prepared.
    I julienned the carrot and blanched it in boiling water with 2 tsps of sugar added.
    The avocado I cut into thin strips and I flaked the smoked mackerel off the skin and picked out any bones that were remaining.
    I don't even use a mat, I have one but have lost it TBH it is as easy to do without the mat.
    and remember to add a little sugar and rice vinegar to the rice when you cook it!
    The trick to keep the rolls nice and small is to spread the rice thinly over the nori to about 5mm with a wet knife blade.
    and when you slice the rolls have a damp cloth and wipe the blade after every slice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Some things to remember about sushi: it's cold, raw food. If you don't like cold, raw food, you won't like Sushi. It's fish. If you don't like fish, you won't like Sushi. The accompanying flavours - soy, wasabi, pickled ginger - are salty, hot and strongly sour flavours. If you don't like these flavours, you won't like Sushi.

I like Sushi. Then again, in London, I have more options of where to eat it. I even like the M&S sushi boxes, even though none of that is raw fish. I like to mix Wasabi with soy with the end of my chopstick and create a dipping sauce for my Sushi. I'll also ask for a chili sauce because that's the sort of thing I like.

I don't understand why people feel like they MUST try Sushi. I mean, I wouldn't torture myself with something I wasn't mad about over and over again because other people say it should be good.

I like Dim Sum, but I veer away from the repetitive dishes with steamed dumplings that look like anaemic jellyfish. They have a mouth-feel that I don't find pleasant, so I just don't order them.

Unless you're never short of a penny, why would you spend your hard-earned cash on something you're not sure of? Go somewhere you want to eat!

It's fish. If you don't like fish, you won't like Sushi.
    It's not always fish... It often contains vegetables. For example avocado in California rolls, also tofu, cucumber, asparagus, pickled plum (umeboshi), and pickled daikon radish make appearances in sushi.
    It can even contain fermented soybeans (natto) in natto maki. They taste like guinness imo.
    It can also contain egg - rice enclosed in a thin, sweet omelette-like coating/pouch (inarizushi), or a thicker layer of omelette (tamagoyaki) on rice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I did my own sashimi there recently again, Scallops, cod, tuna and salmon, all off the fish guy in Temple bar and all his fish is fresh enough for it, that is important.
    I made up a dipping sauce from Rick steins book and bought some sashimi soy and some wassabi.
    Scallops sliced thinly without the roe are really sweet and fantastic, tuna was good too, I could forego the cod and the salmon if I was to do it again, lovely stuff.

• Advertisement

Morrigan wrote:
    It's not always fish... It often contains vegetables. For example avocado in California rolls, also tofu, cucumber, asparagus, pickled plum (umeboshi), and pickled daikon radish make appearances in sushi.
    It can even contain fermented soybeans (natto) in natto maki. They taste like guinness imo.
    It can also contain egg - rice enclosed in a thin, sweet omelette-like coating/pouch (inarizushi), or a thicker layer of omelette (tamagoyaki) on rice.

Okay, so the word sushi refers to anything served with vinegared rice and doesn't necessarily mean raw fish.

But still - are you seeing my point about the self-torturing with the food for less than enjoyment?

Sashimi is raw fish.
    ahhh another big feed of sushi tonight, bliss!
    I used Cucumber and smoked salmon this time as well as the pickled ginger.
    Ran out of Wasabi though :(

Yes, but to be fair, if you went to a restaurant that called itself a sushi bar and there was no fish in sight and they told you that, in fact, sashimi is raw fish, and sushi just refers to vinegared rice, and passed you a California roll, are you telling me you'd say "oh yep sorry got me on a technicality" and tuck in?

I suppose what's confusing me is how someone, having tried something once and not really liked it, would then go back for another go - unless their first experience was marked by something really negative to which they could attribute a possible bad time.

I suppose that's the whole thing about delicacies... they are an acquired taste... Like alcohol. Nobody (in general) enjoys the taste of beer the first time they try it... but there is a payback if you stick at it and acquire the taste for it. I think sushi is worth trying to acquire a taste for. One payback is that it is nutritious, and you get to eat a whole lot of food stuffs you wouldn't normally. The more varied your diet is the more likely it is to be a healthy diet. I admire people who don't just stick to what they like...

*thinks to self* Maybe I should try acquiring a taste for offal... ick...

I think offal is marvellous - but if you tried tripe once and hated it, I'd be surprised if an alternative presentation would help.

There's not much worse in this world than bad sushi. Except perhaps overdone liver. Or unsoaked kidneys. Or - for me - doughy pizza...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I was in Aya on Thursday and have to admit it was not so bad at all, the fish was not as good as it might have been but in all it was an enjoyable experience and I'm glad we took the individual offer in the end rather than the 55 as we came out cheaper per plate.
    Eh green tea tastes of water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I love sushi, would eat it every day if I could. Unfortunately atm I can't eat it because I'm pregnant (it's advised against) and I don't know of anywhere in Cork where it may be bought, either? (Any ideas, anyone?) They might have it in M&S here but the supermarket variety is rarely as nice as the restaurant one in my experience.

You may find the M&S version a good stopgap while you're pregnant Simu - their fish is all cooked.

Advertisement