Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever move a garden shed?

Options
  • 01-03-2006 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

I have a T&G 10 foot by 12 foot garden shed which I would like to move to the other side of the garden. anyone ever done this before? do you think a bunch of lads could lift it or will I have to take it apart and move it? obviously I would empty first :)

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

I've seen them picked up and moved, but probably not as big a one as that. If it's a standard garden shed (free standing wooden base), then no reason why you wouldn't be able to lift it if you had enough people for the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

my neighbour moved his shed - same size as yours a few months ago - he screwed some planks for hand holds onto the shed (outside) and 8 of us lifted it across his garden - he just knocked on a few doors when he was ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Yep did it about a year ago, unless its a new shed lifting it might not be a good idea, subjects its to stresses and strains it wasnt designed for.

We just lifted it up at each end and put in some rollers (tree trunks) and pushed it to the new location, takes some manoevering but job done and no broken shed windows wtc...

<edit>
    this was a 8x6 and it took 2 of us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Yes I have moved two different 8x10's on two occasions between five/six of us, using wood slats underneath each time. Use ONE coordinator

Watch your fingers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭qazxsw

Have moved a timber shed alright 6' x 8' though

Emptied it, lifted it at one end (with a lidl hydraulic car jack) and inserted rollers (two sets of rollers were rolling on scaffold planks across a lawn) and pushed it to it's new home.

Might be doable for the bigger size shed too, had to shuffle the rollers forward in a "leap frog" fashion coz when you get to the half way point or there abouts it will tilt forward and dig into the ground.

Mind the fingers and toes when propping it, inserting the rollers, etc.

You'll need a few bodies when shoving it.

Also moved the same shed from one house to a building site using a hi-loader and flat bed truck and a lot of rope!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭darkbeatz

excellent fellas thanks! I was dreading having to take it apart and rebuild it.

thanks

Advertisement