Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slashdot: China's New Internet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

With censorship as standard feature \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

More than likely. This is a bad day for freedom of speech etc in China and a bad day for the global internet community.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Technicaly it is not a bad idea. People who use different character sets that like Chinese that cannot be easily translated into the roman alphabet have long wanted to use domains in there own charactersets, so that a particular character in Chinese for example would go to the site if used on a chinese computer, but the same site would have the option of using another domain in a different characterset for international users.

Also, I think it is about time that ICANN was forced to relenquish control over the Internet root. Total control over the Internet Domain root and IP assignment should belong to the international academic community. Exactly how I would reorganise the internet's domain and IP systems is rather tedious and TBH I have never given it much thought. I would have to consider what would be in the internet's best interest and what would best facilitate complete unregulated freedom of the net.

Advertisement