Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loud Home Phone?

Options
  • 01-03-2006 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this.

My Dad is hard of hearing. We have some cordless phones that we got in Argos but they aren't loud enough.

He sometimes puts the speaker function on so he can hear but it picks up all the background noise so the person on the other end can't hear either.

Can anyone recommend a phone that has several volume settings? I would also need one that the base station rings too, when the handset is elsewhere.

Looking through the Argos catalogue none seem to mention if the base rings.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

http://www.eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/bladerunner/showContent.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0038485223.1141244819@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccfaddhdmfgidecefeceiedffndffj.0&cid=dB30Res&site=Res&chanId=536888266

The eircom dB30 is created for the visually impaired and hard of hearing.

eircom dB30
    Amplifier: you can increase the volume up to 30 times the standard volume.
    Dial pad: extra large, high contrast button dial pad.
    Extra loud: adjustable 85 decibel ringer volume.
    Hearing aid compatible.
    Bright incoming call flasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

cosgrove80 wrote:
    My Dad is hard of hearing. We have some cordless phones that we got in Argos but they aren't loud enough.

Can anyone recommend a phone that has several volume settings? I would also need one that the base station rings too, when the handset is elsewhere.
    Contact Deaftech at the National Association for Deaf People
    They have a range of kit and you can even call in with your Dad, get some advice and try out some alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Thanks for the replies. They are both useful options.

The problem is though my Dad wouldn't consider himself hard of hearing and any mention of "deaf" phones wouldn't go down very well.

(By calling them "deaf" phones, I'm just suggesting how he'd percieve them btw)

I'd like him to get a hearing test done and have drop hints but it's a sensitive subject.

The Eircom phone you linked to seems good but ideally I want a cordless phone. Sorry, should've mentioned in the original post.

At the moment I'd be looking for a phone that has several volumes (for the ear piece). The phones we have at the moment are quite quiet and I must admit I even find it hard to hear on them.

Advertisement