Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site feedback appreciated

Options
  • 01-03-2006 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I've just finished up a pretty big project and would appreciate some feedback from users of this forum regarding user-experience, functionality, overall impression etc.

I've tested it on most browsers available on a PC, so I'd be especially interested in hearing from Mac users.

The site is http://www.lovebeginsat.com

if you want to log in you can do so using, username 'testuser' and password 'testuser'

All feedback appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭akari no ryu

First thing of note is the logo.
    It refers to loveBeginsAt.ie

Secondly, the login button should dissappear when you're logged in.

The style is wonderful but the blue links need to be white or some other color. They clash as it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

First thing of note is the logo.
    It refers to loveBeginsAt.ie

Secondly, the login button should dissappear when you're logged in.

The style is wonderful but the blue links need to be white or some other color. They clash as it stands.

The site is both .ie and .com, wil be marketed as .ie - just need to get the domain switched over - sorry should have pointed that out.

Well the login button is login/logout, so regardless of whether a user is logged in or out it needs to be there.

The blue links? on the side nav? interesting - I did have them white but they're very difficult to see - too washed out, they need to be a stronger colour than the background - maybe I should make them brown. But a good point regardless. cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭akari no ryu

cormee wrote:
    Well the login button is login/logout, so regardless of whether a user is logged in or out it needs to be there.
    It should say logout if they're logged in, from a HCI point of view.
    People are stupid, remember ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭cognos

Good work!

I'd agree that the blue links don't really match the rest of the site and I'm not a big fan of form elements having the same background colour as the area that they're placed in... makes it look flat and its hard to tell that its a form you can use.

Other than that I really like the design.

It doesn't resize too well and it has loads of validation errors, but It all looks fine for me in IE and Firefox, so theres not too much to worry about :)

cognos wrote:
    Good work!

I'd agree that the blue links don't really match the rest of the site and I'm not a big fan of form elements having the same background colour as the area that they're placed in... makes it look flat and its hard to tell that its a form you can use.

Other than that I really like the design.

It doesn't resize too well and it has loads of validation errors, but It all looks fine for me in IE and Firefox, so theres not too much to worry about :)

Cheers! So the blue isn't proving popular! Definitely add that to my list. Re. form elements being same colour - I know what you mean, I feel the same myself, however I felt the graphics on the homepage are 3d enough - I just thought making the form fields a different colour to the background they are sitting on would make the design look very busy.

All other form elements on other pages (registration page etc.) have a different colour to their background.

In what way does it not resize well?

As for validation! Well in an ideal world I would love to have the time to sort that out however I'm content to have it display ok on browsers. It's kind of like the Handcoded html vs. DreamWeaver html argument - does the amount of time it takes to handcode justify the the end user's experience when it's compared to the same html generated by a WYSiWYG in a fraction of the time. But that's a completely different kettle of fish! Cheers for your feedback.
    It should say logout if they're logged in, from a HCI point of view.
    People are stupid, remember

Ain't that the truth! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I have a few comments if I may.
    Are you preloading any images? Some of them seem slow to load(couild be my machine/browser :p ) I think the design is fine and navigation is clear, however IMHO the brown colours you used for the icons may need another look. But I can offer no suggestions as to what colours as graphic design is not my thing. I think that they take the focus away from the central image.
    One final tiny point. Have a think about the language you use. The example I am thinking of here is "My Hotlist". For the market you are aiming for this is not how I would describe it.
    It is always good to get someone of your target audience to look at it. It might be useful to canvass people much further into your age catgeory.

Good work. :)
    Good to see something for the oldies.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭cognos

cormee wrote:
    In what way does it not resize well?

Well in IE changing the text size setting doesn't change the text size on your site and in firefox it makes the images become spread out (the text gets bigger but you lose the design). I wouldnt see it as a huge issue - its a similar argument to the validation one (is it worth the extra effort).

cognos wrote:
    I'm not a big fan of form elements having the same background colour as the area that they're placed in... makes it look flat and its hard to tell that its a form you can use.

I changed the form elements background colour to white - could you have a look and tell me which you prefer.

www.lovebeginsat.com - white background
    http://www.lovebeginsat.com/index2.html - old background colour

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

is it just me or is the bright red "free 2 month trial" very hard to read?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭jennyrusks

I like the design. It's nice and clean and easy to get around. As mentioned previously the blue links stick out quite a bit and I think the brown underline link would be best there. There are a couple of pages that use red - the login areas and on the first page the 2 month free trial - the red is very jarring compared to the other colours you've used, so changing that to something a bit more in keeping with the rest of the site would be my recommendation.

All the best

Jennifer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

http://www.lovebeginsat.com/contact/index.html
    Typo: ENUIRY should be 'ENQUIRY'
    Also, the second half of the sentence is in bold and is using a 'font' tag instead of CSS.
    [PHP]<font face="Tahoma"><br>
    fill out the form below to contacts us - Please be as specific </font></b>as possible regarding the nature of your enuiry </p>
    </td>[/PHP]

Advertisement