Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement seals for front door

Options
  • 01-03-2006 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if it's possible to get replacement seals for the door and frame of a typical front door? Ours is a good few years old (by Munster Joinery according to a label on the inside edge of the door) and the seals have a) gone a bit hard, b) have been coated with varnish during repainting a couple of times (not by me!!!) and c) the seal along the bottom of the door has all but disintegrated causing draughts.

I'm looking for something with the exact same cross-section as the old seal, that will just slot into the little groove that runs around the door and frame, not some tacky self-adhesive cr@p from Woodies that'll probably fall off as soon as anyone opens the door. Are these standardised in any way, or would Munster have their own design?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Any joinery should be able to sell you the right seal. Why not contact Munster joinery , they have lots of after sales service vans, so it should not be a problem.

kadman:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

kadman wrote:
    Any joinery should be able to sell you the right seal. Why not contact Munster joinery , they have lots of after sales service vans, so it should not be a problem.

kadman:)
    Thanks, I'll give them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

I called into the Munster Joinery depot out in that big business park beside the kcr (can't remember the name). They're the next entrance over from TV3. I spoke to one of the yardsmen and he gave me about 40m of the various seals for doors/windows free of charge. I just gave him 20 quid for a few pints and he was most grateful - there are rolls of the stuff out there.
    The sales people had been insisting I pay for a roll which has something like 200 m on it.

hope this helps

Can't find a local contact for Munster Joinery at all on GoldenPages.ie. As a recent blow-in what or where is the "kcr" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭hansov

kcr = Kimmage Cross Roads. It's where the Kimmage road crosses with the Terenure Road (I think!) I know how to get there just don't know the name of the road!

• Advertisement

hansov wrote:
    kcr = Kimmage Cross Roads. It's where the Kimmage road crosses with the Terenure Road (I think!) I know how to get there just don't know the name of the road!
    Ah, the vagaries of getting directions in Dublin :) I've been here 5 years now, and I still haven't a clue where half these "villages" that have been subsumed into the greater Dublin area are! Thank god for Satnav is all I can say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭hansov

Sorry! If you know southside - Rathmines, Harolds Cross, Terenure (more what were once villages :eek: )you'll be near there!

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

hi - I remembered the name of the ind estate - it's in ballymount and it's not listed under Munster Joinery in phone book as it's a depot only (not for public visitation).

I just took a spin out at lunchtime (on motorbike mind otherwise would have been a couple of hours) and found the place.

Thanks guys! I should be able to find it now.

Advertisement