Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW e36 engine in an e30

Options
  • 01-03-2006 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭

is it possible to swap the engines and if so are there a lot of other changes
    that need to be made such as gearbox or is it pretty straightforward
    head blew in my e30 and ive spent the last 4 weeks trying to get a
    replacement engine but to no avail, like hens teeth so they are
    so was thinking a e36 engine might be an option
    thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Its possible, not a direct swap though. Plenty of lads have an E36 M3 engine in their E30's...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

does the transmission have to be changed aswell m8?
    was selling my E30 and the head went on the damn thing and its in too bad
    shape to skim, trying to find a replacement engine is proving impossible so i
    was thinking if its not a huge conversion i would try and get an E36 engine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Yeah - tranmission would naturally have to be changed. Unless you get someone who really knows what they're doing with this, you'll end up with a car you'll never sell by the way, so I'd think carefully before you do anything.

Can't see why you're having so much difficulty getting an engine by the way - theres loads in the UK, and unlike the E36 engines, they'll drop right in. Try fabdirect.com or quarrybmwspares.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

And just to add......I have a BMW car magazine at home with an article on a guy with the M52 328i E36 engine in an E30 body. (and the dash for that matter!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 trojan5

Little bit out off theme, but about BMW e30: LINK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

AFAIK, there's a guy in Kildare doing recaonditioned e30 engines for about €600. Think it costs about another €300 to fit.

Unfortunately, I don't have any more details - was told by a customer and can't remember which customer it was! Sorry!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sure a fella got a V12 into an E30 IIRC.
    Your insurance company may not be impressed with it though and as mentioned a mod like this can affect resale.
    What E30 is it?

Advertisement