Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading

Options
  • 01-03-2006 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

Im thinking of upgrading my graphics for Oblivion as my current rig (in sig) doesnt meet the recommended specs. I havent looked at hardware in around 6 months (addicted to WoW, Im sure you understand).

I dont fancy buying a whole new rig (PCI-E etc) right now, Ill have about 350 euro to play with. Do you think its worth going for one of those 7800GS AGP cards? Or should I save another few hundred and upgrade mobo and cpu too? If I do that can I keep my gig of ddr3200 or should I sell and upgrade that too?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Have that video card 7800GS.

Even though its good i think in your case i would try and sell your motherboard and video card. Then go and buy your self and new 939 board with pci-e and a 7800GT or something. With your buget of 350 and the sale of MB and video card you could do all right.

Also you could just overclock your set up as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Ganjdalf

I would go with BadCharlie and uprgrade to a 939 Pci Express. you can get the same board i have an ABIT KN8 SLI for under 100 squuid on www.komplett.ie

I also got the Point Of View 7800GT for around 350 and it comes with COD2. Excelent game:D

anyway Komplett is a great place to start thinking about uupgrades. Great price and guranteed 4 day deliver through GLS *me thinks* if all is in stock

i got a complete new rig (in parts) And it was bang on time and great value for cash.

Good luck with the Rig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Yeah just shift over to PCI-E as was mentioned have a look at the €290 POV 7800GT and you can get an even cheaper nForce 4 from Gigabyte for €72 for just a little over your 350 mark in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Thordon

Hmm, nice, and the 7800GT is better than the GS?

Id still need a new cpu too, I guess selling my mobo/cpu/graphics would cover that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Yup the GT is more powerfull than the GS, I thought you had a S939 CPU that why I pointed out the S939 nForce 4 however it is possible to get PCI-E enabled S754 motherboards see this section anything with a PCI-E x16 slot will do and pretty much all around the €70 mark so you wont have to change your CPU.

• Advertisement

Wow, thats great, didnt know those existed, thanks mate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Agree with the boys go PCI-E, get a good board, so when you need to upgrade in the future all you need is a processor9upgrade in stages).

As for the card, got one of these, 3rd card down on the link. I like gainward stuff. it's a 7800GT 512 , but i've ran aquamark and 3dmark06 on it and its out performed a GTX. Its also on komplett but works out about 30 yoyo's dearer.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/7800__Series.html

All sorted now, got the mainboard and graphics card in sig, it cost me, but it was worth it I think, BF2 and CS:S both running flawlessly, should have no problems with Oblivion :)

I was surprised at how smoothly replacing the motherboard went, I thought I'd have to reinstall windows or something, but all I had to do was set up a raid for my 1 SATA drive and set it as the boot drive, and it booted fine.

Advertisement