Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salmon driftnet fishing set to be banned

Options
  • 01-03-2006 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭

According to an article by Mark Hennessy in Todays Irish Times.
    the National Salmon Commission (NSC), a Government-appointed
    body, has voted by the narrowest of margins (9 for and 8 against) to recommend the end of salmon driftnet fishing from the end of the year.

The findings of the commission has provoked anger from driftnet fishermen.

Alhough the Government is not formally bound to accept the
    recommendations, it is expected that it will implement them.
    Under the plan, presented to Minister of State for the Marine
    John Browne yesterday, "the indiscriminate exploitation of mixed
    salmon stocks" will finish at the end of the 2006 season.

The Government will have to introduce a compensation scheme in

FFor the 2006 season, the driftnet fishermen will have 91,000
    tonnes of the 106,000-tonne total catch recommended by the
    commission, with the rest going to rod-and-line anglers in the
    State's rivers and lakes.

Ireland is the last country in western Europe to sanction
    open-sea driftnetting, despite long-standing charges by
    conservationists that the practice has decimated salmon stocks.

Five years ago the total quota was set at 219,000 tonnes. The
    fishing season has been dramatically cut in the same period from
    four months to just 32 days a year.

The article goes on that in a minority report, surprise, surprise, commercial fishing representatives sitting on the NSC said they could not agree to an end of driftnetting without having a comprehensive package

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

What's most annoying about all of this is the pack of lies from the politicians. The Dept. of the Marine has repeatedly stated that no other country has ever raised the issue of driftnets with them. Of course, they have neglected to mentioin the fact that the UK has on numerous occasions objected because of the permanent damage being done to their fisheries: at least they're able to see that there's a lot more money to be made from angling than from subsistance fishing, and this actually helps the environment too.

Interestingly, there are a number of bays in Donegal that used to hold large numbers of fish, but they've all been wiped out long ago as by-catches of these indiscriminate nets. The bastards that lay them out often wait 24 hours before hauling them in, with the effect that anything caught in them is dead by the time they return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

Murt10 wrote:
    According to an article by Mark Hennessy in Todays Irish Times.
    the National Salmon Commission (NSC), a Government-appointed
    body, has voted by the narrowest of margins (9 for and 8 against) to recommend the end of salmon driftnet fishing from the end of the year.

The findings of the commission has provoked anger from driftnet fishermen.

Alhough the Government is not formally bound to accept the
    recommendations, it is expected that it will implement them.
    Under the plan, presented to Minister of State for the Marine
    John Browne yesterday, "the indiscriminate exploitation of mixed
    salmon stocks" will finish at the end of the 2006 season.

The Government will have to introduce a compensation scheme in

FFor the 2006 season, the driftnet fishermen will have 91,000
    tonnes of the 106,000-tonne total catch recommended by the
    commission, with the rest going to rod-and-line anglers in the
    State's rivers and lakes.

Ireland is the last country in western Europe to sanction
    open-sea driftnetting, despite long-standing charges by
    conservationists that the practice has decimated salmon stocks.

Five years ago the total quota was set at 219,000 tonnes. The
    fishing season has been dramatically cut in the same period from
    four months to just 32 days a year.

The article goes on that in a minority report, surprise, surprise, commercial fishing representatives sitting on the NSC said they could not agree to an end of driftnetting without having a comprehensive package

the compensation package being proposed is crap very low..... fishermen all over the country are up in arms, and are really annoyed..
    THE REPORT IS FLAWED!!! FACT!
    THEY VALUE A SALMON AT €23 EUROS ... WHEN QUERIED AS TO HOW THEY CALCULATED THE VALUE THEY SAID WELL AFTER TAKING AWAY COSTS , DIESEL ETC THEY ARRIVED AT THIS PRICE OF 23 EUROS PER SALMON...

EH HELLO? SOME FISHERMEN DONT USE DIESEL,.,,AND HAVE VERY LOW COSTS, SO THE VALUE OF A SALMON WOULD BE MORE THAN 23 EUROS TO SOME FISHERMEN!!!! ANOTHER FLAWED PLAN SIGNED OFF BY FF IN A HURRY!

FF/PD's will suffer at the ballot box...guaranteed..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

what_car wrote:
    the compensation package being proposed is crap very low..... fishermen all over the country are up in arms, and are really annoyed..
    THE REPORT IS FLAWED!!! FACT!
    THEY VALUE A SALMON AT €23 EUROS ... WHEN QUERIED AS TO HOW THEY CALCULATED THE VALUE THEY SAID WELL AFTER TAKING AWAY COSTS , DIESEL ETC THEY ARRIVED AT THIS PRICE OF 23 EUROS PER SALMON...

EH HELLO? SOME FISHERMEN DONT USE DIESEL,.,,AND HAVE VERY LOW COSTS, SO THE VALUE OF A SALMON WOULD BE MORE THAN 23 EUROS TO SOME FISHERMEN!!!! ANOTHER FLAWED PLAN SIGNED OFF BY FF IN A HURRY!

FF/PD's will suffer at the ballot box...guaranteed..........

Commercial fishing is one of the most selfish industries going, it's gas too, it has to be the only industry where the practises destroy it, then when the very practises that destroy it are outlawed they get compensated for the damage they've done.

Absolutely crazy, when my job goes then I'm unemployed, if I give my job up or through my own stupidity do myself out of a job then I don't even get benefits, maybe I should become a fisherman.

They should be fined for the damage they've done, not compensated.

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Commercial fishing is one of the most selfish industries going, it's gas too, it has to be the only industry where the practises destroy it, then when the very practises that destroy it are outlawed they get compensated for the damage they've done.

Absolutely crazy, when my job goes then I'm unemployed, if I give my job up or through my own stupidity do myself out of a job then I don't even get benefits, maybe I should become a fisherman.

They should be fined for the damage they've done, not compensated.

these licences have a value.... when you actually have some knowledge on the subject i would suggest you post then, rather than making broad sweeping remarks!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

what_car wrote:
    these licences have a value

The license has no inherent value, with no fish the license is valueless, who's the one with no clue?
    Destroy your industry through greed and shortsightedness then put your hand out to make up for the livelihood that the govt "took" from you, haha, what a joke.

• Advertisement

Blub2k4 wrote:
    The license has no inherent value, with no fish the license is valueless, who's the one with no clue?
    Destroy your industry through greed and shortsightedness then put your hand out to make up for the livelihood that the govt "took" from you, haha, what a joke.

i refer you to my previous post!...

boards.ie is great, a place where idiots with no knowledge of the subject matter can rant and rave....
    your entitled to your opinion even if its totally wrong ........

have you even read the salmon report?

weyhey...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Salmon drift netting is a crime against nature and that is that. I am from an area close to this tradition and like killing the basking sharks in achill it is on a par.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Lets keep this calm please.....

It's an emotive subject & I don't mind spirited discussion - everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but lets not get into trading insults

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

selfish, short-sighted drift net fishermen cost the economy a lot more than wew gain as a result of their indiscriminate netting. Salmon angling is worth and has the potential to be worth a lot more to the irih economy than drift netting for salmon.

To try and defend drift netting because some sea-rapers don't use diesel is absurd.

I don't blame the fishermen for being annoyed about the compo they get, but the same feckers will be looking for compo when there are no bloody salmon left for anyone to catch and I doubt they'll have contributed to a national drift netters pension fund to pay for it themselves.

Guess there is some chance they might enforce a ban where salmon are concerned, so fair play , though I am stunned Brennan will make a decision not based on commercial fishing interests.

Advertisement