Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bearded dragons

Options
  • 01-03-2006 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

hi

i am currently researching the idea of getting a bearded dragon, i am in limerick, does anyone know of somewhere that stocks bearded dragons? i dont mind travelling to go to the best supplier.

thanks
    adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

If your willing to travel to Dublin then Reptile Haven is a good place to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭tonym

yeh i second that ben will piont you in the right direction and he wont rob you and he will tell you what set up you need but make sure you have plenty of time cos he will go through everthing with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Yep, thats where I got my two babies! Best place ever!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Beardies are great but just make sure you do a lot of research before buying.
    Most baby beardies die in the first few weeks if their cage is not set up correctly.
    My advice is to buy the cage,lights,bulbs etc and set it up for at least a week before buying.That way you can adjust temperatures with higher or lower wattage bulbs before the dragon is even put into the cage.

Beardies like it hot with a 110-120F hotspot with full spectrum uvb on a 12 hour cycle.Make sure you have a supplier of the right sized crickets(no bigger than the gap between its eyes) close by aswell.
    Newspaper/plain paper as a substrate for the first year aswell to make sure it doesnt get impacted.Personally I use lino turned upside down as a substrate--its easy to clean and can be washed/sterlised quite easily as beardies s**t like theres no tomorrow especially when they become nearly 100% vegetarians after a couple of years.

Hope this helps.
    Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

thanks guys, very good advice there....i have done a load of research over the past few weeks and maybe overlooked one important person....the girlfriend is dead set against it.. :mad:

i am really tempted to just buy one anyway and tell her tough $hit :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

She might be a bit freaked because of the size it can grow to. What about something small to start off with? Allow her to adjust first. Then get a beardie.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The people next door to me had 2 of them - apparently, eventhough the vivarium was cleaned once a week - they stank the house out!

Paws and Claws in Dunshaughlin have a good selection of reptiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They do not smell that bad!!! They do poop everywhere but regular cleaning etc & they are fine - I have 3 I got 2 from a private breeder & got one from Ben in Reptile Haven - if your girlfriend is against it why not both go to a reptile shop & get advice & actually handle full grown beardies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Bond-007 wrote:
    if your girlfriend is against it why not both go to a reptile shop & get advice & actually handle full grown beardies.

Great advice, I was a complete anti-reptile person becuase I loved my fuzzyes too much, then my boyfriend dragged me into reptile have one day as we were passing and got me to hold a beardie, I fell in love on the spot, now we have two beardies and two agamas and I love my reptiles just as much as my fuzzies!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ironcobra69

just got a new bearded dragon and i'm having trouble getting him to eat veggies or fruit any suggestions

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

My beardies didnt eat veggies for nearly a year.The first year they build their weight up with proteins(ie insects)
    Now they cant get enough veggies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Put some mealworms or waxworms ontop of the salad - they will eat the bugs are get some greens too. Also feed bugs today salad tomorrow type of thing to keep them interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭flynnc

I just got a lovely baby bearded dragon today from Mc Elheron reptiles and the viv ,heating,uv, food and vits and the care sheet .
    he is in Boardwalk pets on the quays ,give him a ring 6778160

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭PTL

i second mc elheron reptiles not only cause he breeds them himself but cause of the price :D i got mine a good while ago so cant remember what i got it for but was around the 80-90 euro mark and i was quoted anything up to 250 in other places its fecking unreal ... shop around and ask the people working in the shop questions to see if they know there stuff cause if you buy from anywhere but reptile heaven or mc elheron reptiles you really havnt a clue what your buying and how have they been looked after before you get them.

Get the proper advice and setup from the start and dont skimp on it and then ull have a ball with them! There great

Advertisement