Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT and fog lights

Options
  • 01-03-2006 11:31pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know if the NCT inspection includes fog lights? They list every light apart from fog lights from what I can see.

http://www.ncts.ie/inspection_list.html##4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

PauloMN wrote:
    Anyone know if the NCT inspection includes fog lights? They list every light apart from fog lights from what I can see.

http://www.ncts.ie/inspection_list.html##4

If front fog lights are connected they will check them for alignment etc. If they are not working , they will not test them (as they are not compulsory).

Rear will be checked as they are compulsory.

Re NCT Manual - I think they are referred to as auxillary lamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Rear fog lights are NOT compulsory. They are for the MOT in the UK, but not for the NCT here. If there is one fitted, it must work. However if your car doesn't have one fitted it will not fail the NCT because of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

blastman wrote:
    Rear fog lights are NOT compulsory. They are for the MOT in the UK, but not for the NCT here. If there is one fitted, it must work. However if your car doesn't have one fitted it will not fail the NCT because of this.

Apologies for that Blastman. I was always under the impression that it was cumpulsory to have at least one rear fog light. I see many imported cars and sports cars with a fog light added, usually in the bumper. I presumed that it wasn't necessary in the country of origin but had to be added when entering this country.(???)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Well the car passed this morning, and with a non-functioning passenger side fog light on the front, so I guess they don't look at fog lights! :)

Regarding the list - I assumed headlights might have referred to full beams, and auxillary might have referred to dipped lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Litcagral wrote:
    Apologies for that Blastman. I was always under the impression that it was cumpulsory to have at least one rear fog light. I see many imported cars and sports cars with a fog light added, usually in the bumper. I presumed that it wasn't necessary in the country of origin but had to be added when entering this country.(???)
    No worries, dude, cars imported from the UK will have them added, and I expect some people here will add them too, of course.

• Advertisement
Advertisement