Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Bebo be banned in UCD?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

nerdtalk-panda doesnt understand

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

panda100 wrote:
    nerdtalk-panda doesnt understand
    so stay out of it and let the grown ups talk. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

oh bebo should be banned! dickheads!!:mad: :mad:

plank by name........ :rolleyes:

bye bye!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

plank by name........ :rolleyes:

bye bye!

Hoot to DaPeach!

Seriously enough with the nerd talk . Just cause you dont get Bebo or like it dosnt mean its not popular. Again there will always be a que for computers in UCD bebo or nobo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Grimes wrote:
    People can do what they want online. Within reason. But they qued for their computer. No matter what you ban people are still going to use the computers for non-college based activities. We cant make people use
    college resources for college work only. Can anyone here on a college PC right now say they are not browsing non-college research sites?

Una im looking at you. Posting on Boards??? eh? If I was waiting on a PC id be pretty pissed off

I was then, and am now, making sure I don't hold anyone else up. The second there's a queue, I'm gone, unless I'm doing something legitimate. Like I was when I logged on earlier. And when I was finished, before someone needed the computer, I logged out and left. As I will do if someone needs the computer now. My problem is with people who use Bebo regardless of the 20 people waiting for a computer, despite it having no academic merit, contributing nothing to their education, and preventing others from getting theirs. I wouldn't care if they had a peak-time ban on Boards in UCD either. But as far as I can see, Boards users are a bit more considerate than the majority of the Bebo brigade. That alright?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Did anybody hear anything about banning bebo in relation to the elections? A few of my girlfriend's medicine people chose not to vote kate for education because they heard she was banning bebo... I was then jokingly told by 1 of brian's canvassers that kate was banning bebo/was in sinn fein (he knew i was canvassing for kate so it was a joke... but still an odd coincidence.)

Just wondering if anyone apart from those 2 or 3 people i'm aware of heard that rumour/voted on it?

In more general terms: I like and use bebo but if i'm ever just idling in the computer room and a queue of more than 2 people starts growing i'll **** off out of there and amuse myself in a different way.
    The problem is definitely inconsiderate people rather than bebo. Blocking it between 9-5 would probably help just a tiny bit... But most inconsiderate people would just play on something else. The solution is for services/me with an axe to forcibly remove people who are being inconsiderate assholes in the computer room...

So we can complain to services everytime there's a queue (and you can count a lot of people messing around) until the effort of ignoring the complainers becomes greater than the effort of occasionally walking into a computer room and kicking out/suspending the accounts of people who are being inconsiderate assholes. Thus keeping them on their toes and reducing queues. Ta-da!

(i didn't read the last page of this thread..so...i apologise if i've repeated anyone or everyone)

(goddammit.. i've been trying to post this for 5 minutes and blush is just after saying the same stuff as me! now i look stupid... *shakes fist at IBB*)

I know Kate, I dont think she'd try and get Bebo banned. Cause that just wouldnt be a wise move

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Oh.. I should have made that clearer. No.. she wasn't trying to do that at all.. It was completely out of nowhere.. nothing to do with her campaign. Hence my irritation that at least 2 or 3 people I know of voted against her because of it.

Ah i see. I hope Katie gets it aswell

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

big up peachy, thank god mr. plank's stay was short! i want a server machine irlrobins, your static IP and RK's iBook are just making me very envious!

don't mind the nerd talk panda - all we mean is that bebo can't be banned only in the labs. :)

• Advertisement

The Nerds are right. Bannage only in the Labs

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

ghostchant wrote:
    Alll that being said, it's a very handy way to keep in contact with people you used to go to school with...people you otherwise may never hear from again

and did it never occur to you that there might be a reason why you never hear again from a certain set of people you used to go to school with?!
    :rolleyes:

anyway, I doubt you need Bebo for staying in touch.

meowCat wrote:
    and did it never occur to you that there might be a reason why you never hear again from a certain set of people you used to go to school with?!
    :rolleyes:

anyway, I doubt you need Bebo for staying in touch.

you cant decide what he does and dosnt need Bebo for. Ive been talking to friends i have fallen out of touch with years ago recently on bebo and its been fun. Dont tell people what they can and cant do :rolleyes:

Red Alert wrote:
    i want a server machine irlrobins, your static IP

Nah, it's over rated. I mean once you get beyond the ability to run a web, ftp, ssh server, p2p apps and online games on it, direct connection to the web, etc there's not much else you can do really... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

NoelRock wrote:
    Similar thing happening in DCU. This all seemed to pop up overnight... yesterday, I looked to my left, and the two people there were using bebo, looked to my right, and all three people there were using Bebo too. Insane. And it is hogging resources. I'd be in favour of a ban.

P.S. Yes, I know this is UCD - similar issue is affecting all colleges I'd imagine though.

In DCU though, it's pretty handy to get a computer. I never have to "queue" or wait for a PC, the library has a lot free most of the time. I'm in computers also, and obviously it's pretty easy to get a PC in CA.

Just because you people dont get it dosnt mean you can call for its bannage. Live and Let Live. Its not killing you is it? Or is it cause noone visits your bebo pages or does your tests?

On a side note UCD need more F**king computers . Not banning popular web pages. A blind monkey with peni for ears and a cordless phone for a head can see that

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

Grimes wrote:
    you cant decide what he does and dosnt need Bebo for.

ooooh, don't be offended now, Grimes.
    chill!

I'm not telling anyone that he/she's not allowed to use whatever is fancied for finding/keeping/makeing friends or do whatever.
    After all this is still about if Bebo should be banned or not, isn't it?

And I doubt that it's that useful in general.
    So, ban it. No big loss.

Or dont ban it. No big gain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Or how about the pair of you quit your squabbling and everyones a winner :p

Anyway, I'd be all for banning it during peak times. Last week I was waiting for about half an hour for a computer in the library so I could download some notes from J-stor that I needed for an essay......everywhere I looked there was bebo.

There was 4 people in front of me and 1 behind me......shít like that isn't right. I've seen librocop walk along the computers there and have a look at the screens but to be perfectly honest I'd be all for letting him and the rest of the library staff tell people to get off if theres a queue.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

trouble in the library's that there's two sorts of computer. some are run by computer services like the fourth and third floor (that you've to log on to) and others are run by the library (where they start at the library home page).

the library are only really interested in their own computers and i've never seen them telling anyone to get off them either. bebo (or even boards) shouldn't be on those computers (WebPC's i think they're named).

off topic: does librocop do more wandering now that he's not checking cards anymore?

• Advertisement

passive wrote:
    So we can complain to services everytime there's a queue (and you can count a lot of people messing around) until the effort of ignoring the complainers becomes greater than the effort of occasionally walking into a computer room and kicking out/suspending the accounts of people who are being inconsiderate assholes. Thus keeping them on their toes and reducing queues. Ta-da!

That's fine if it works, but it doesn't. I asked Services to help me get a computer the other day and I was pawned off on Computer Services, who told me to go somewhere else. Passing the buck rawks, doesn't it.

Plus, you don't look stupid, just not as rant-y as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Blush by any chance are you the brown-haired girl who came into the IT centre in the arts block last week and complained?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Scraggs wrote:
    Blush by any chance are you the brown-haired girl who came into the IT centre in the arts block last week and complained?
    Do you just come into college to follow boardsies around???:eek:

ok way to blow my cover man....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Pfft, wouldn't worry bout ur cover - half the boardsies I know are so desperately starved of human contact and in need of an ego-boost that they'd be thrilled to have someone like yourself following their every move!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Last week I was waiting for about half an hour for a computer in the library so I could download some notes from J-stor that I needed for an essay......everywhere I looked there was bebo.
    Then you go up to one of them and politly tell them to get off the machine or you'll get services.

Service's job is this kind of thing. Blush_01, I advise you not to stand for some services member fobbing you off.

Case of "Fool me once... " Rory. Do I seem like the kind of person to let them do it again, if they try?

Scraggs, have you been stalking me? It was probably me, I was frustrated enough to curse and cry, so if said chunk of a brown haired person did that, it was me. Next time you see me, introduce yourself. I think I scared everyone using the IT centre... oops! Angry Blush is scary Blush. Upset Blush is worse, especially when angry too.

*Ticks off Blush_01 from stalking list*
    yeah ya kinda terrified me a little! but good on ya for confronting them! after ya left the girl went down to LG's to check if the computers were working.

I pretty sure I saw ya on thursday talking to a canvasser.... had no idea you were a boardsie though! ok i may do something about my stalker rep...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

*takes Scraggs's night-vision goggles off her*

methinks you need a break from these :o

• Advertisement

Scraggs wrote:
    *Ticks off Blush_01 from stalking list*
    Hoping I'm not on said list....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement