Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Bebo be banned in UCD?

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

arts services is one thing because the duty manger of services (Aisling Kennedy) works from there and while she's incredibly sound she takes no **** so she'd probably be helpful. however over in eng for example it seems to be just randomers who don't really have much authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

irlrobins wrote:
    Hoping I'm not on said list....

Grrrr...I'm putting you on my list of enemies
    *writes something down*
    only joking!!!!!! Look what I really wrote!! *shows list*
    I really, really like Irlrobins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

On that note, now that the Library has indeed decided to completely blanket-ban BEBO access from its computers, there's only one thing to do in the JJ Library now...

...TELL A FEW GHOST STORIES!!!!

*woooooooooh....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

or we could just study....

Scraggs wrote:
    or we could just study....
    That's crazy talk - you're crazy, Scraggs. You should be sent to some Crazy House built for crazies like you, you, you, crazy person.

Mental.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

But if they ban bebo does that mean,dare I say it,they will ban boards???:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

panda100 wrote:
    But if they ban bebo does

It means if they ban bebo you'll still be waiting hours for a computer because people are just going to look at one of the billions of other webpages when killing time between lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

What's really needed are more computers. There's been a massive increas in ques for computer rooms recently. It coinsides with the Bebo fad but it also coinsides with the closure of computer rooms in Eng, Dedalus and the Computer Science building, I really think that's the important issue. Students have always messed around on the computers, it's just that now they're mostly messing around on just the one site.

Grimes wrote:
    On a side note UCD need more F**king computers .

There

Grimes wrote:
    There
    Officially the most pointless post I've ever seen in my life. Kudos.

As kate said, whereas before students were messin about sometimes on a small scale and weren't spending so long on such pointlessness, now it's an epidemic based around one website.

Ban the fcuker. It has no place in college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

SebtheBum wrote:
    As kate said, whereas before students were messin about sometimes on a small scale and weren't spending so long on such pointlessness, now it's an epidemic based around one website.

Ban the fcuker. It has no place in college.

No, that's not what I meant at all, the amount of people messing hasn't increased by very much as far as I can see, it's just that now they're all on one site.
    If Bebo was banned there'd still be masses of messers on the computers.
    If there was a blanket ban on all 'non-acedemic' sites there'd be massive problems with people needing to check web-mail, people using unorthodox sites for researching, and the like.

What the college needs is to stop cutting back computer facilities. It's a disgrace.

No, that's not what I meant at all, the amount of people messing hasn't increased by very much as far as I can see,.
    Well, then you're in the minority.

I repeat, the Library received more complaints about BEBO-users hogging their computers than about anything else save the heating (which, as long as I've been here, has been the #1 complaint there).

It's constant, it's visible, and, more importantly, it's preventable.

Frankly, the people defending it haven't got a fcuking leg to stand on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

It's bebo today, next month it'll be myspace and the month after that who knows what. People will always find some random website to fill there time with, I don't think we can stop it.

I'm all for the bebo ban during peak hours, admittedly I use it but I'll only ever use it during peak hours if there's noone waiting for a pc which, seeing as i spend two of my three days in lectures in earlsfort, is a regular occurance, but i would give it up my computer to someone who was waiting if that's all I was doing.

It's bebo today, next month it'll be myspace and the month

Wasnt it Myspace last month? Just buy Laptops people or go upstairs and sneak into a room somwhere and use one (there are plenty around the upper floors of the library) .

And Seb that was a quote from myself earlier because no one ever seems to listen to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

My bad, sorry - i'm totally out of the loop obviously - you can just tell i'm not a trend setter. Have a laptop so i'm sorted - been on bebo well over a year now, still not overly taken with it, it's clunky at best.

Grimes wrote:
    And Seb that was a quote from myself earlier because no one ever seems to listen to me
    I hate to be the one to say it but... there may just be a reason for that, Grimey me ole china.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Scraggs wrote:
    *Ticks off Blush_01 from stalking list*
    yeah ya kinda terrified me a little! but good on ya for confronting them! after ya left the girl went down to LG's to check if the computers were working.

I pretty sure I saw ya on thursday talking to a canvasser.... had no idea you were a boardsie though! ok i may do something about my stalker rep...

I talk to everyone. I have no idea how I know most people. Nobody has an iota how they know me. It works for us!

As for the computers in college, I have held the belief sonce first year that we need a few computers in the LGs and Daedalus that are at standing height, with no seating. The idea behind this being nobody's going to stand for ages while online. You can't concentrate properly. However, you can nip in, log in, print things off or get a small bit of work done, and leave. Therefore, the queue for computers would be cut because people often mess about when they've queued to get a computer to do a small job and don't want to give it up again after 5 seconds! It's an idea at least, n'est pas?

they have that in the science areas in trinners. apparently they do indeed remove the waster bottleneck on the main rooms. try emailing computer services about it blush - wonder what they'd say?

SebtheBum wrote:
    I hate to be the one to say it but... there may just be a reason for that, Grimey me ole china.

Im going to kill you in your sleep .

Dont Ban Bebo, Get more Computers. Simple As Me Ole Mongolia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pilson

Down with fascism.

• Advertisement

Red Alert wrote:
    they have that in the science areas in trinners. apparently they do indeed remove the waster bottleneck on the main rooms. try emailing computer services about it blush - wonder what they'd say?

Probably "Well a03bf792, I'm afraid we can't process your comment because it makes too much darned sense!"

yep, :D

exactly the same response i got when i said they might try installing ad blocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Just so people know, UCD do not ban websites. What student computing are planning on doing is "removing" people they find using Bebo. This will be done in person. So someone from Student coming will walk up to you and ask you to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Yeah but like... MySpace is better than bebo anyways. Ohh look... comment my new pics please!!! Ohh I must send out about 20 bulletins in the space of 3 minute giving people random links...

Bring it on!

Ag is driving me mad. I didn't have the time to wait in Arts and I can't concentrate here, everyone's friggin' talking and making noise. Neither of the girls beside me are even using the computers, they're just talking to eachother.

What is wrong with the students in this college?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

People always were messing around on computers, well before bebo. I agree with Kate.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

People always were messing around on computers, well before bebo. I agree with Kate.
    True... I remember wasting so much of first year playing Super Collapse in 219... :)
    Thems were the days!

i can't see how Student Computing are planning to do that. it would make more sense just to block it. there are over 15 computer rooms on the belfield campus - i can't imagine they'd police them effectively unless they're going to target a select few like the LG's.

219... yes those were the days - i only remember the science building as an ickle first year, but as far as i recall 219 had the gamers 'enclosure' down the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That's the one!
    The 'enclosure' was great...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

So i was reading the comment thingy in the library and there were quite a lot referring to bebo. The responses ranged from "We are taking steps towards blocking the site" to "we have now blocked the site".

There was even one comment that said "Can you please unblock bebo as it contains a lot of information that is vital to my course"......:rolleyes:

Thing is though, I was up at the computers in the library today at around 2pm and there were 4 people on bebo (that I could see).

Odd.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement