Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Bebo be banned in UCD?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Red Alert wrote:
    i had no problem using bebo yesterday - u sure access is curtailed?
    What time were you on? I was trying to get it on Wednesday afternoon and it was horrifically slow until about 5:30pm, and then it picked up again...
    irlrobins wrote:
    Yea I didn't notice any drop in bebo activity in labs I was on on Thurs afternoon or fri morning.

Tsk tsk boys!!! I hope you were using laptops or at least not holding up a queue :p

j/k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

They're being added to my "blacklist" as I type... Now the question is, which one do I brutally eviscerate first?

Decisions, decisions...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

heh I was using my college-supplied computer in the Elec Project Lab, so i wasn't holding up a Q!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Laptop for me! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Grrr.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭streaker

BEBO Banned in NUI, Galway, only a matter of time for UCD to follow suit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Tsk tsk boys!!! I hope you were using laptops or at least not holding up a queue

Wasn't on a PC, was supervising a practical lab. I don't even have a bebo account! :D

i think UCD have a problem in that they say the don't ban any websites. some colleges go for a more business-style draconian policy so it's easier to add bebo to the hitlist too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

i've heard that due to legal reasons UCD can't ban bebo without banning all such services. Which they really can't do.

I'm thinking though that close to exams it might be an idea to ban it. With people needing computers for end of year work, it could be understandable why people get frustrated with frivolous use. All the same, I suppose it's one way for people to take a break from study too.

In that case perhaps Computer Services should do their job and inforce the policy coming up to the exams.

Besides, although people need to take a break from studying coming up to exams, it's a stupid idea to take that break at a computer - breaks should be for relaxing and getting fresh air. Doing research/studying on a computer and then taking a break on the computer doesn't give your eyes a chance to rest - you're not supposed to spend more than 4 hours at a computer in a row. It's velly bad for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

'Spose y'all got the email from Mary Clayton, which does not specifically refer to bebo, but 'reminds' students about the acceptable use policy on computers. Presumably it will now be enforced a little better.

Only if Computer Services look after it, Mary alerted the head of Computer Services of the fact that people were u****ressed and actively unhappy about the situation, but she's only human too.

Why is the word un!mpressed being edited? Argh, darn technology!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

lol i was wondering how I could have gone 19 years without knowing a curse beginning with u!!
    is it just u****ressed or is impractical bad too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

u****ressed

haha thats a load of fucking madness!!!!

fuckity fuckity fuck fuck fuck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

maybe they trying to ban negativity?? Thats crazy ...I'm so u****ressed

My u****ressed-ness is growing by the minute. Next time I'm looking for an expletive to use around my Grandmother, u****ressed it is! Ooh, Cuckoo's Nest have a banning Bebo thread too. I :heart: banning Bebo in educational institutions, regardless of level.

Why would 'n1mp' be banned?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

If it were illegal to ban Bebo and such services, how come the library have banned it already? I walk around the library and see students on their laptops and the majority of them aren't studying, they're on msn or message boards.

eth0_ wrote:
    If it were illegal to ban Bebo and such services, how come the library have banned it already? I walk around the library and see students on their laptops and the majority of them aren't studying, they're on msn or message boards.
    Or on Bebo, as most of those surround me (and me, for a while) were yesterday.

Anyway, if it was illegal for Computing Services to ban it, how come it's been banned in NUIG without any problems?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Those computers are library controlled and are specifically for library use only i.e accessing online journals and looking up the catalogue, that's why they're able to ban bebo and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Who the Hell brought this thread back to page 1 .

Im so angry, (Shakes willy violently in everyone's direction)

it's not illegal, but CS would have to ask the governing body as it's stated in the rules that sites are not blocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

Originally Posted by NoelRock
    I'm gonna tell you something, and you're not gonna like it.

Bebo is not gonna die
    Remember that you said that one.... Bebo is the new rubex cube (was it rubic? rubec? i duno) Theres only so much one person can take of it. Look at the likes of Big Brother, that was revolutionary tv when it came out but now its just mweh tv. Pretty soon theyre gonna run out of gimmicks to keep people interested. People are salivating at every 'new' 'exciting' 'different' technological fad that comes along like Mary Harney at a breakfast buffet. Pretty soon someones gonna vom...
    I'm sorry everyone. I haven't used the site in a while. I just wanted to bump this old post.

Five years later and I told you so,NoelRock!!!

/dances

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

In fairness, you didn't exactly need to be an oracle to make that prediction. Everything runs its course eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Congrats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

Bebo was huuge. Bebo was like facebook. Stop dissin' my oracle!

I've had my moment of glory,moderators.

I'm ready to stride away now. Ta-ra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Good work, we're all very proud of you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement