Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How To...?

• 02-03-2006 1:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Having recently become single, I am having trouble getting back into the 'swing' of things.
    Basically, I don't really know how to properly 'chat-up' girls. How to pick up on signs or even worse, to approach a random stranger just because our eyes crossed paths or something.
    What's the best way to approach this type of situation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Having recently become single, I am having trouble getting back into the 'swing' of things.
    Basically, I don't really know how to properly 'chat-up' girls. How to pick up on signs or even worse, to approach a random stranger just because our eyes crossed paths or something.

No secret to chatting up girls, as the term implies it simply involves chatting to them (the up part only applies if you're very short).

Go out with some friends, see how they interact with random strangers and see if there's any lessons you could learn from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Im going to tell you a funny story on how I met a girl after not meeting one for three years ! I was 16 and there was a couple of random girls walking to back to school after break an I just went up to them (not intending to chat them up or anything) and I said "HI IM FRIENDS WITH STEVES DOG" One day later I was meeting one of them. So my advice be your"funny"self :D

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

DeafVision wrote:
    Im going to tell you a funny story on how I met a girl after not meeting one for three years ! I was 16 and there was a couple of random girls walking to back to school after break an I just went up to them (not intending to chat them up or anything) and I said "HI IM FRIENDS WITH STEVES DOG" One day later I was meeting one of them. So my advice be your"funny"self :D

I'm trying to insult but I'd personally never use a line like that even if ya paid me ...I presume the OP isn't 16 so that line an't going to work..she's probably look at you like you've no head..

One thing i've noticed about us lads is the very funny "I'm on the pull walk"
    everyone does it when they're drinking ..you walk around the night-club on your own scanning every corner of the room looking for a woman haha...STOP DOING THIS !!!!

But the simple fact is women see this and think oh oh....stay clear...
    I personally think the easiest option is not to look at all...stop trying to find a woman and they magically appear haha...
    Honestly i've never gone out on a night out to find a girl and met one..
    It's the nights I don't try is when I score hehe..always smile and enjoy yourself ...
    I don't think i've given any advice but I haven't a clue either lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Ridire_Dubh

Used to do the pub scene, but later found out that other social scenes were much more productive and real. Join socs, communiity orgs, volunteer orgs, church orgs. and meet them there while you contribute to whatever these groups do. You won't need false lines that are a sham, but rather just be yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 daisybaby

DeafVision wrote:

good god. I wouldnt recommend this. Your more likely show off or sumthin if you do that and not the type of person a girl wants that kind of relationship with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

Exactly, just relax and be yourself. I'm sure you have some realm of personality, let it do its job. It worked for me, i'm currently with a girl i never thought i'd get a look in with. Funny thing was i was chattin to her without even thinking about going out, and it just happened. In my experience, short as it may be at 22, laughter is a big thing. Make a girl giggle and you're 3/4 way there. Then it's down to plucking up the courage to make a move. As was said, pubs/clubs are a terrible place to meet women, much better to join a social club (drama, karate, tennis, anything). DON'T THINK TOO MUCH ABOUT IT.. or you'll bottle it.

Best of luck lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Oh man, I know what your sayin. My ex broke up with my me last summer - took it really REALLY bad. Took a few months to get over it, and then realized that apart from one or two decent mates I had fúck all of a social life and knew absolutely no women whatsover! But I just went out with the lads from college, lads from school, lads I used to play soccer with etc on different nights, and had a laugh. Met One or two women along the way, no relationship blosomming stuff or anythin but good for the oul confidence. The thing is I never went out lookin for it and it happened now and again, and the nights it didnt happen strangly enough seem to have been the best nights. I had a laugh with the lads and remembering how good it was to be out of an intense and full on lovey dovey relationship. I enjoyed the 3/4 years I had with my ex, but Im happy again now nad just takin things as they come.

So the only advice after all that would be to go out to have a laugh with your mates, enjoy yourself and be yourself! Its like this, if your lookin for a relationship there gonna find out what your like eventually and you do want them to like ya for who you are...so be who ya are!!

goodluck with it boss, and dont let it get ya down cas thats a step backwards if ya do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Hi christ himself. Can I just call you Jesus? ;)

In my experience, one thing that really seems to get a woman's interest on a night out is a guy who is already in the company of a girl(s). I think it's down an in-built competitiveness thing that girls have going on. If they see a guy who is getting on famously with a chick their interest is aroused as they realise that you must be OK as someone else as already run the rule over you. So what I'm saying is, if you have a group of friends that includes some girls then these are the people to be with.

Failing that, just do what you did you to get your previous girlfriend.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I've fouund myself in the exact same position as christ himself (NEVER thought I'd be saying that). My answer has been to become celebate. Well, until something better comes along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I personally think the easiest option is not to look at all...stop trying to find a woman and they magically appear haha...

I agree ! FULLY LOL
    daisybaby wrote:
    good god. I wouldnt recommend this. Your more likely show off or sumthin if you do that and not the type of person a girl wants that kind of relationship with.

Im not recommending it im just saying it helps to be funny ! This just seemed to work out in my favour at the time they found me funny !

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I personally don't think anyone can tell you what to do in this situation or how to act/what to say, as in my opinion, if you have to be told then this means you'll go out and do what you've been instructed/primed to do and therefore end up being false (to your true way of behaving) and not faithful to how you would normally act.

I don't have much (well, any tbh) luck with women, but from observing friends who are very successful, I gauge that the more laid back and easy going you are, the more luck you'll have, especially if you're 17-25 - as no girls in that age range (in my opinion) are really attracted to Mr. Serious/Brooding. Anyway, you had a girlfriend before, surely you already know what to do to get a girl..

Advertisement