Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Winter

Options
  • 02-03-2006 9:22am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Picked this up for only €15 and boy, it's the best pirchase so far this year.
    You know when you oick up a 2nd hand game with little knowledge of it bar the back of the box and a half recalled review. Well I snatched up this one at my local Gamestop and what a game it is.
    If black is a little too trigger happy and dumb for you then this the perfect antidote.
    It is, like Black, a child of the PS2 and Renderware, plenty of lighting, particle and depth of field effects, looks lovely in other words.
    It plays like every modern Bond game doesn't but should, very smooth, nice enemy engagements, plenty of explosions and nicely designed levels, unlike Black it also comes with an extensive multiplayer section, including online play.

Anyway it could be the best €15 you will spend this year, in fact it would still be a great purchase for €50, which is as good a recommendation as I can give.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

One of my managers in work has been raving about this game since it came out... I may have to grab it at some point :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Its that good that my recent purchases of Shadow of the colossus and Katamari have taken a back seat to some good solid fps fare, save a bundle and buy this instead of Black, as I said its really good stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Quite disappointed with Black myself. Was hoping for something more visceral but only got a watered down for consoles FPS like so many others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭December Son

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Quite disappointed with Black myself. Was hoping for something more visceral but only got a watered down for consoles FPS like so many others.
    Try painkiller instead. Looks beautiful, plays great, and you can get it dirt cheap nowadays.
    I didnt even know cold winter had been released. i remember hearing about it ages tho, thought it would have had a bigger fanfare at release than this..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Played an finished Painkiller and very much enjoyed it. However have the mission pack that hasn't been touched.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Played an finished Painkiller and very much enjoyed it. However have the mission pack that hasn't been touched.
    Cause its sh!te, or cause you cant be bothered? I have the same with Brothers in arms: EIB. Bought it at christmas, played it for about a half hour, and its still sittin there today untouched

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Quite liked the brothers in arms games, played it on the PS2 and got a big kick out of it, very nice alternate take on the FPS WW2 genre, instead of the bombastic crap that EA has been pumping out on the consoles.
    Very atmospheric, taking villages and crossroads instead of trying to win the entire war solo. Ah well each to his own.
    Popped Shadow of the Colossus back on last night and the phrase that popped into my head as I visited Colossus number 3 for the first time was "We're Not Worthy!, We're Not Worthy!", definitely worth buying the console for, pure genius.

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Quite liked the brothers in arms games, played it on the PS2 and got a big kick out of it, very nice alternate take on the FPS WW2 genre, instead of the bombastic crap that EA has been pumping out on the consoles.
    Very atmospheric, taking villages and crossroads instead of trying to win the entire war solo. Ah well each to his own.
    Popped Shadow of the Colossus back on last night and the phrase that popped into my head as I visited Colossus number 3 for the first time was "We're Not Worthy!, We're Not Worthy!", definitely worth buying the console for, pure genius.
    Dont get me wrong, i love BIA, but EiB just didnt grab me at all. SOTC on the other hand.... :D

haven't played the mission pack because I've too many game sto play. EIB however is brilliant. Playing it on the box atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Picked this up for only €15 and boy, it's the best pirchase so far this year.
    You know when you oick up a 2nd hand game with little knowledge of it bar the back of the box and a half recalled review. Well I snatched up this one at my local Gamestop and what a game it is.....

Thought the same with Project Snowblind for the xbox.

• Advertisement
Advertisement