Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fee paying / non-fee paying secondary schools

Options
  • 02-03-2006 9:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Apologies in advance if this isn't the forum for this thread - not sure where else to put it.

Was having a chat last night with some people about fee paying secondary schools and all that they entail.
    One thing that came up was that all secondary school teachers have their salaries paid by the state, fee pating or not. Is this true?
    (When I say "all", I mean the normal allocation of teacher numbers to a school based on the number of pupils)

I went to a fee paying secondary school so having seen it from the inside I'm not going to go on a rant about them all having better teachers! But I suppose I'd assumed that some of the fees would actually go to the teachers?

So, what are these fees actually for then, better facilities? A "good name"? Is it all a big con?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Easy, all teachers are paid by the state (bar grinds schools) and nothing to do with school finances, each school is allowed a certain allocation depending on numbers. The school can choose to get a grant per student from govt or instead get fees and thats how they pay for equipment etc, nothing to do with salaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭manchine

Thanks for that :)

I've some familiarity with the in's and out's of the "panel" system that operates for primary teachers (both parents and a few mates are primary teachers), is there a similar set up for secondary teachers? If so does it work in the same way?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Not sure if there is a panel system, new thing brought in this year is if ur in a school for think 5 years, u have to be made permanent. In VEC, u can be redeployed so suppose its another form of panel.

Advertisement