Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony Ericsson's K800

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

guys whats the difference between those phones

k790/k800/k800i
    is there any website where i can go and compare them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

drdre wrote:
    guys whats the difference between those phones

k790/k800/k800i
    is there any website where i can go and compare them

http://gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone2=1485&idPhone1=1484

Guys was looking on expansys. What do these technology mean?

EDGE
    PictBridge
    T9

thanks commander the comparison is great help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

was playing around with the K800 for a while last week, i'll post some pics when i have a chance

EDGE - faster GPRS (not 3G though) - currently not available in Ireland ref: http://www.gsmworld.com/technology/edge/
    PictBridge - a direct way printing pictures from a digital camera (rather than going via a PC) ref: http://www.cipa.jp/english/pictbridge/
    T9 - predictive text entry for numeric keypads ref: http://www.t9.com/

wow where did you get to use that, was it in dublin.would you have any idea on when it will be launched and also any indication on price

• Advertisement

wasn't in Dublin no, SE staff were suggesting a Q2 / 'summer' (i.e. into Q3) launch for the K800 - price wise - well (as usual) it will be expensive SIM Free initially - operators will charge what ever they charge - take a look at the pricing when the K750 launched sim free / on operators and add some...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Tell me that's not a joystick. :eek:

It could be a winner for 3 though if they were to add this to their range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

God i love sony ericsson phones , i might get the k800i soon i also haves used it. all i can say is whooooaaa

sony phones are great but i hate the problem with the joystick on the k750i, hope it doesnot occur on the k790

Check out these pics!!!

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/sonyericsson-wilma-live-en.shtml

Also the bad thing about the phone is going to be the new style memory stick.Its going to be expensive as it will be new.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭N90user

You a member of MR drdre? Its a great site!

n90user i was not a member of mobile review but i am now.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭N90user

The name is ''drdre'' i guess ;) Im ''6230'' if you find me.

N90user wrote:
    The name is ''drdre'' i guess ;) Im ''6230'' if you find me.

yeah im drdre.i havenot had enough time to go though threads on the site but it looks like a good site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

So what do youse reckon these are going to retail at upon release?
    I'd be surprised if it was over 500euro

So what do youse reckon these are going to retail at upon release?
    I'd be surprised if it was over 500euro

i think 550-600 euro. as look at k750i it was 500 when realeased and it didnot have as good functions as the k790.so at the start prices will be high.But it looks like it will be well worth it.but like the k750i i think sony wonot realease too many at the start to create a hype and try and increase prices as they did for the k750i

does anyonehave any articels they want to share about the k790.

also does anyone have a date when it will be realeased in europe as i know it wonot be out in ireland for ages.

The phone is a decent size and weight for all the features they packed in, will be interesting to see how that battery holds up - going to have a lot of draw on it with that bright screen and 'real' flash option when taking pics.

se_k800_front_1_devices.ie.jpg

SE have really gone in for highlighting the camera capabilities of the handset, using the Sony Cyber-shot branding where possible e.g. splash screen when camera is activated...
    se_k800_front_2_devices.ie.jpg

... and also the Cyber-shot logo on camera cover at the back, together with the Auto focus and 3.2 mega pixel capability of the phone

se_k800_back_1_devices.ie.jpg

a close up of the camera you can see the 'real flash' at the top and focal length: f=5.1mm 1:2.8

se_k800_camera_1_devices.ie.jpg

they are plenty of camera options, one being BestPic™ developed for the phone, you also have options for the focus, flash etc.
    BestPic: Press the shutter button once and get 9 full quality 3.2 megapixel pictures to choose from in a time sequence – 4 pictures before and 4 pictures after the actual image you captured.
    ref: SE Release

se_k800_camera_options_1_devices.ie.jpg

lots of connectivity options, USB 2.0 and Bluetooth 2.0 and IrDA

a new memory stick format though: Memory Stick Micro™ (M2™) which will upset anyone upgrading from a previous SE phone and has alread shelled out on a large capacity Duo together with the wait to find higher capacity MS M2 cards at a reasonable price...

full info on the SE Site:
    www.sonyericsson.com/k800

Thanks Dubwireless.I am waiting impatiently for this phone to be realeased. Its really nice but its abit bigger than the k750i.

Does anyone have prices on the new memory stick. Are they realeased yet for other phones on the market?

haven't seen it stocked (but nothing out you can stick it into directly yet)
    Sony plans to ship the 256MB and 512MB versions of the ‘M2’ media from March, and the 1GB model from May 2006. The estimated enduser price of the ‘M2’ media will be similar to the price of the current ‘Memory Stick PRO Duo’ media. Availability and prices will vary from country to country.

1138634682087.jpg

ref: Sony Europe Release

• Advertisement

haven't seen it stocked (but nothing out you can stick it into directly yet)

1138634682087.jpg

ref: Sony Europe Release

Thanks you are making me more and more excited from your interesting posts. I would wait for the 1gb one and id say there will be loads of 1gb ones on ebay before sony realease them.

Thanks again

GOT FROM GSM ARENA

Sony Ericsson K800/K790 gives me more or less the same impression like the one the forerunner K750 left in me a year ago. By now it is already as clear as daylight that this new multimedia device is going to be successful. The reasons are numerous: it serves both for work and fun, it offers intuitive control as well as all modern mobile functions all in a stretch. What's more, its price is quite reasonable - approximately 430 euro. Sony Ericsson will hit the market this summer. No exact date has been officially stated yet.

In my opninon no way will it be 430 euro in ireland when realeased. id say min 500-550 like when the k750i came out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

World's first Cyber-shot™ camera phones
    [Back]

Fron SE developer site :http://developer.sonyericsson.com/site/global/newsandevents/latestnews/newsmar06/p_new_cybershotphones_k800_k790.jsp?link_general=article-newcybershotk790k800

Announced on February 28, 2006, both the new Sony Ericsson K800 and K790 mobile phones carry the Cyber-shot™ brand and have a 3.2 Megapixel camera with autofocus and 16x digital zoom.

Both phones have a range of mobile entertainment and business features including impressive music and video players, Memory Stick Micro™ removable storage (up to 1G available), full HTML browser and RSS feed support. Mobile Java™ 3D gaming is supported by both JSR 184 and Mascot Capsule v3, and A/B hardware buttons add landscape mode gaming capabilities.

The K800 is a dual-mode UMTS phone and the K790 is a tri-band EDGE phone.

Photography and BestPic™ image selection
    The Sony Ericsson K800 and K790 take mobile phone photography to a new level. They are the first mobile phones to be branded Cyber-shot. The integrated 3.2 Megapixel cameras have autofocus, Xenon flash, 16x digital zoom and an image stabilizer function.

The phones also include a completely new and unique feature developed by Sony Ericsson called "BestPic™". When the BestPic option is selected, four pictures are captured before the camera button is pressed, one when the button is pressed and four afterwards. These nine pictures are captured during one second at the full 3.2 Megapixel resolution. The end-user is then presented with a "freeze mode" on the phone display with a row of thumbnail icons showing the nine pictures taken, allowing the end-user choose the best picture(s), save and/or send one or more of them.

K800 or K790 showing BestPic icons.

Printing these photographs without using a PC can be achieved not only through a Bluetooth™-enabled printer but also through the industry-standard PictBridge™ functionality, allowing the end-user to transfer images directly to a printer using a USB cable.

New Java Platform 7 (JP-7) strengthens camera and image handling
    To support developers in creating advanced imaging applications for these Cyber-shot phones, Sony Ericsson introduces a new Java Platform, JP-7, extending JP-6 with the addition of Advanced Multimedia Supplements (JSR 234). The Advanced Multimedia Supplements API builds on the framework already established in the Mobile Media API (JSR 135) with new controls and extensions to strengthen camera and image handling. Camera capabilities introduced with JP-7 include the ability to:

Rotate camera images in an application
    Control camera exposure
    Manipulate the flash
    Control camera focus, including autofocus override
    "Burst shooting" support
    Control camera zoom functions
    More information and the full JSR list for JP-7 can be found here>>

Blogging and Google Search

"Blog this" photo.
    In an industry first, Google's Blogger and Web Search integrate with the camera and the phone's UI to support personal blogging with a preloaded blogging application. The application allows end-users to create a blog on-the-go directly from their K800 or K790 without the use of messaging services to post pictures and text, and to view their blog directly on the phone. End-users simply take a photo using the phone and choose the "Blog this" option that appears on the screen after the photo is taken. This application is also available for the recently announced K610 mobile phone.

In addition to the Blogger collaboration, Sony Ericsson and Google also announced that Google Search will be the standard search engine for all Sony Ericsson Internet-capable phones going forward.

K800 and K790 versions
    Both the K800 and K790 will be available during Q2 2006 in the following versions:

K800i for Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East and Africa
    K800c for mainland China (launch for mainland China is dependent on availability of 3G services)
    K790i for Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East and Africa
    K790a for the Americas
    K790c for mainland China

sharkman wrote:

Thanks for this its getting me more excited. When you guys here of a realease date or batch delivery please tell me as im very interested in getting one.thanks

I rung the sony rep today and asked about this , 3rd Q it wil be release in ireland.

edit two threads merged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

What sony rep?

And 3rd Q is July/Aug/Sept ?

Sony Ericsson rep , just a slight contact i have and he confirmed that it will be coming out in ireland in the 3rd Q which is july/aug/sept not before then. I think im going to go for the k790 which is the exact same phone without the 3g.

Q3 from the networks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

That was my next question DubWireless :)

• Advertisement

02 , vodafone It will come out on o2 first and then vodafone.

Advertisement