Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No Default Gateway

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

irlrobins wrote:
    should be. you could try the ip of the modem as well.
    And how would I go about obtaining that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Rtfm ;)

irlrobins wrote:
    Rtfm ;)
    RTFM?

*Submits own nomination for most irritating thread/poster in Wireless forum history.

/Edit I just had a moment of inspiration which told me that RTFM means "Read the fúcking manual"?

besty wrote:
    /Edit I just had a moment of inspiration which told me that RTFM means "Read the fúcking manual"?

Well done! Seriously though, the modem is prob at it's default settings so in the manual it should state the ip address of the modem. Could well be 192.168.0.1

I just realised that I've been entering the Modem (Netopia 3000) IP address as the Default Gateway and DNS. I should try it with the IP of the router I presume. Will I be able to find that in the command window --> ipconfig?

is 192.168.1.254 not the router ip address?

Enter it into the browser of the laptop when connected to router and if it comes up with the CNET setup screen then that's the router's ip address.

192.168.1.254 is the modem's IP address. It brings up the Netopia interface where the diagnostics and stuff say everything is tip top.

mmmm... well according to the router manual, it's default ip address is 192.168.0.254.

I wonder if both the router and modem have the same ip address by default.

Try this:

Connect modem to PC and enter 192.168.0.254 into browser. At the same time connect laptop to router and enter 192.168.0.254 into browser. Don't connect the modem to router. See what pages come up and post back.

irlrobins wrote:
    mmmm... well according to the router manual, it's default ip address is 192.168.0.254.

I wonder if both the router and modem have the same ip address by default.

Try this:

Connect modem to PC and enter 192.168.0.254 into browser. At the same time connect laptop to router and enter 192.168.0.254 into browser. Don't connect the modem to router. See what pages come up and post back.
    Nothing showed up on either of those searches. I did exactly as you said...

• Advertisement

I just thought I'd add that when I connect to the modem, there's a primary and secondary DNS given. They are;

Does that have any relevance?
    I'm still trying to connect to the router.

Those are Eircom's DNS servers and that's fine.

Where do you see these? In modem status page?

What model is the netopia?

It's the Netopia Model 3341 DSL USB
    I see those settings under the "LAN" heading under "General Information."

Here's some other stuff from that page:

Local Address 83.70.225.199
    Peer Address 159.134.155.26
    Connection Type Always On
    NAT On
    WAN Users Unlimited
    LAN
    IP Address 192.168.1.254
    USB Status Up
    Netmask 255.255.255.0
    Ethernet Status Up
    DHCP Server On
    DHCP Leases 2 out of 253 leases in use
    DNS-1 213.94.190.194
    DNS-2 213.94.190.236

besty wrote:
    It's the Netopia Model 3341 DSL USB
    I see those settings under the "LAN" heading under "General Information.

What do u do to get that page?

Logging off for the night but i'll look into it tomorrow. Where u live btw? Close to ucd?

It's the first screen that appears when I access the modem.
    A really strange thing just happened. Another password/username page just popped up and I put the details in and then accessed the router interface. Anyway, I'll try and play around with that.

I'm living in Shankill, not too far from UCD.

Thanks again for the help irlrobins

Here's the initial page when I access the router. It appears to have the same IP address as the modem alright...

Alias Name Wireless Gateway
    Uptime 0day:9h:59m:4s
    Firmware Version v1.66
    Wireless Configuration
    SSID Home Wireless Network
    Channel Number 11
    Encryption WEP 64bits
    Associated Clients 1
    BSSID 00:08:a1:6e:39:26
    LAN Configuration
    IP Address 192.168.1.254
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway 0.0.0.0
    DHCP Server Disabled
    MAC Address 00:08:a1:6e:39:26
    WAN Configuration
    Attain IP Protocol
    Getting IP from DHCP server...
    IP Address 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway 0.0.0.0
    MAC Address 00:08:a1:6e:39:25

• Advertisement

besty wrote:
    I'm living in Shankill, not too far from UCD.

Shankill is miles away from UCD! What are ya like! :p

Anyway, having two devices with same ip on the network is always going to cause issues. You'll need to change the ip of router to something else.

This is what I'd do:

1: Disconnect and switch off everything. Set the desktop and laptop to recieve ip addresses and dns servers automatically.
    2. Reset the netopia by pressing the reset button on the back while it is powered on.
    3. Setup the modem with the desktop by following these instructions. Connect by USB. Do not connect laptop or router to anything yet.
    4. Check to see if your desktop can access the web ok. You might need the settings here
    5. Once everything is working with desktop and modem, reset the CNET router by holding in the reset button for 6 secs.
    6. Connect laptop to router using ethernet. DO NOT connect modem or desktop to router. Check to see if laptop gets an ip address using ipconfig.
    7. If it does then open browser on laptop and enter 192.168.1.254. The username and password is admin and admin.
    8. Once in, click on TCP/IP settings on the left and then LAN interface. Change the ip address field from 192.168.1.254 to 192.168.1.253. Click apply changes.
    9. Then try to reconnect to router setup page by entering 192.168.1.253 into the browers. Hopefully this will work.
    10. Disconnect laptop from router. Enable wireless card and see if you can connect to router.

Prob enough for you to get started on for now. Post back with results.

Actaully maybe we're going about this the wrong way. We should prob put netopia into bridge mode and use the CNET router to do the PPOE stuff.

Prob have to follow these instructions and then configure router with the Eircom settings. That would prob work.

irlrobins wrote:
    Actaully maybe we're going about this the wrong way. We should prob put netopia into bridge mode and use the CNET router to do the PPOE stuff.

Prob have to follow these instructions and then configure router with the Eircom settings. That would prob work.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Do you think I should try this or the step by step you did above then?
    I'll start by trying this.

CAUTION: Placing the router into bridge mode should only be done if you are certain that all circumstances warrant this action. Please be sure to read and understand this document thoroughly before implementing this procedure. Please be advised that unless these instructions are followed precisely you risk losing your internet access and ethernet access into the router configuration screens. This circumstance, should it arise, may require the purchase of a serial cable to gain access back into the router via the console port. If you have any doubts about the ramifications of this procedure, we strongly suggest that you first contact Netopia Technical Support for further advice.

:(

besty wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Do you think I should try this or the step by step you did above then?
    I'll start by trying this.

The bridge method is prob better. You connect modem via ethernet to WAN port on router and then connect laptop and desktop to the router. Either wirelessly or wired.

• Advertisement

besty wrote:
    CAUTION: Placing the router into bridge mode should only be done <snip>
    :(
    Yea not a prob. Just follow instructions. The link I gave has different steps depending on what firmware your router is running so just choose the correct one. Should be obvious from the screenshots.

Cool, I'll do it now. Should I need to do this if the only problem is with getting my laptop working wirelessly though. I hope I dont end up messing up the wired connection for the desktop and the laptop.

Ah well, here goes nothing.

Still not working irlrobins. I'm thoroughly fed up of this now so I migght try and get a new router and try that.

irlrobins and Saruman thanks a million for all the help, it's much appreciated.

Best to buy a wireless router dsl modem all in one, that way only one device to configure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Copied from Earlier post:

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3A Mi
    ni PCI Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-23-6D-B5-E4
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255 > Where did this come from?
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Then later posting:

Alias Name Wireless Gateway
    Uptime 0day:9h:59m:4s
    Firmware Version v1.66
    Wireless Configuration
    SSID Home Wireless Network
    Channel Number 11
    Encryption WEP 64bits
    Associated Clients 1
    BSSID 00:08:a1:6e:39:26
    LAN Configuration
    IP Address 192.168.1.254
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway 0.0.0.0
    DHCP Server Disabled > Why is the DHCP server disabled?
    MAC Address 00:08:a1:6e:39:26
    WAN Configuration
    Attain IP Protocol
    Getting IP from DHCP server...
    IP Address 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway 0.0.0.0
    MAC Address 00:08:a1:6e:39:25

How long ago did your wirelss connection stop working? Did you install anything around this time?

Ok, bit of an update.

I reset the router as I had forgotten the key for it. It now works wirelessly with my laptop. It's slow and I have to keep repairing it but it works.

I bought a Belkin network adapter for my new desktop. That also finds the new, unprotected wireless signal but it will not connect. I think I should contact Belkin on this one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

besty wrote:
    Ok, bit of an update.

I reset the router as I had forgotten the key for it. It now works wirelessly with my laptop. It's slow and I have to keep repairing it but it works.

I bought a Belkin network adapter for my new desktop. That also finds the new, unprotected wireless signal but it will not connect. I think I should contact Belkin on this one!

Can't remember if you have security enabled or not... Did you remember to enter the network key when you installed the usb adaptor?

Advertisement