Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flash issue

Options
  • 02-03-2006 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi Im designing a site for someone and for the main page heading im passing the text into a flash file because they wants to use a specific font. The swf then displays the title.
    However i have an issue where when the title text is too long it gets truncated in the middle of a word therefore displaying half the word on line one and half on line two.
    Any you guys know how to sort this?
    Tnx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

when you say your passing the text into a flash file does this mean that you are using external txt files or something?

Can't you just create a new graphic symbol with the text written in there in flash? In flash the font you use will be the same on the clients pc when he views the swf file anyway because the font gets embedded into the file. Its not dependant on the users list of fonts at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ConsultClifford

when you say your passing the text into a flash file does this mean that you are using external txt files or something?

Its pulling the text for a db.

Can't you just create a new graphic symbol with the text written in there in flash?

No because it need to be dynamic- the client updates his site and adds more news via the admin... and we see the title of this news on the frontend (which will be flash)

In flash the font you use will be the same on the clients pc when he views the swf file anyway because the font gets embedded into the file. Its not dependant on the users list of fonts at all.

Yip thats exactly the reason im using flash because of the limited fonts available in html

Tnx
    Sean
    (and yes i know search engines dont read flash.. but hey the client is adamant...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Is the dynamic text box you are loading the text into justified, or aligned left/middle/right?

Have you tried rendering the text as html, and does that make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

I assume (possibly naively; I've never actually used it) that ActionScript allows you to access font metrics. Simply work out the size of the text, and if it's going to be too big, make it smaller :)

Advertisement