Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Revenue CRT Calculator sucks

Options
  • 02-03-2006 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of importing a car, and looking around at the prices of A4's in the UK. Using the Revenues online CRT Calculator, after filling in all the details of an actual car for sale in the UK I'm often faced with an error which states " There were no vehicles matching your selections found. Please try again."

What gives ? Is there any other way to calculate the CRT payable on a given car ?

I just want a simple way to calculate the VRT on any particular car quickly and easily.

For example, I am getting the above error on the following car.
    http://www.cargiant.co.uk/cars/search3.asp?Id=275850

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

ive also noticed that, sometimes it does come up, " There were no vehicles matching your selections found. Please try again.":mad:

its a **** system, but thats ireland for you we are always the last to get technology

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The VRT calc. isn't hectic either :D

It worked fine for me however...

TATISTICAL CODE: 40385151
    MAKE: AUDI
    MODEL: A4 1.9 TDI (Jan. 2001 - Nov. 2004)
    VERSION: TDI SE 100BHP 04DR / SALOON / MANUAL / DIESEL /
    MILEAGE: 50000 MILES

The information requested in respect of the vehicle shown is indicated below.
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION(MM/YY): APRIL 2003
    OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE:
    (applicable on enquiry date) €24128
    RATE OF TAX: 25.0%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) €6032

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

To be fair to it, I find it a very good system and I look it up a lot.

The place where confusion usually occurs is in the body style and number of doors. i.e. Sometimes what you consider a Coupe they might have down as a hatchback or visa-versa. Or sometimes what you might expect to be down as a jeep is actually down as an Estate. But to be fair to the Revenue, they only put down what the official certificate description is.

However I can't see where the hell you went wrong with the A4. It's a saloon, with 4 doors. Pretty Straight forward. Worked no bother for me like Henry Ford. I came up with €5916, but I had the Reg Date as January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

Seems like I went wrong by saying it was a 5 door. My bad.

Oh, and my comment about the system 'sucking' wasn't to be taken too literally, and either way I now take it back since it was my error :))

thanks lads

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Did you buy yet Stan? Where you looking to purchase, 2 of my mates here are after getting motors in from UK, both the 130bhp A4's and happy out with them

• Advertisement

yop wrote:
    Did you buy yet Stan? Where you looking to purchase, 2 of my mates here are after getting motors in from UK, both the 130bhp A4's and happy out with them

No not yet, and probably won't until the end of the year/early next year. Just doing some research at the moment so see if I can save a bit by buying in the UK.

Where did your buddies buy and how much did they reckon they saved ? Would love to hear more info and get some advice on the process they followed.

Love the car. Will either buy an A4 1.9TDi or a 3 series of some description, and most likely in the UK if I can find one with a good price and genuinely low enough mileage (ie: not a sales guys car!)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

One got a 2003 landed for 23k, the 130 SE, the other paid 22000 for a 2002, so the first guy got the better deal!
    Don't know where exactly they purchased but mileage is about 60k on both cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

yop wrote:
    One got a 2003 landed for 23k, the 130 SE, the other paid 22000 for a 2002, so the first guy got the better deal!
    Don't know where exactly they purchased but mileage is about 60k on both cars

was looking into this myself and I don't see where the saving is to be made - look at this
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=337077

asking price in dealers, to to be able to knock a grand off that with a cash deal if not more!

that's what I've found too. can't see where a huge saving can be made. esp when you consider the cost and hassle of going to the uk and driving back

unless vrt gets abolished, but that's a whole different story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Link to Revenue CRT Calculator?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Here: VRT Calculator

It's offline at the moment though.

Yip that can be true, you can find that you will find cheaper here, BUT the mileage is going to be high and have a very low spec.

That car was taken in from CarGiant.co.uk, have a look at this one
    http://www.cargiant.co.uk/cars/search3.asp?Id=272323

You will do very well to find a nice 2003 A4 for 23k though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,417 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

yop wrote:
    hat car was taken in from CarGiant.co.uk

Nice prices, except for the VRT:

£23k for a '03 BMW 745i + €18k :(
    £10k for a '03 BMW 525d + €13k :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

yop wrote:
    Yip that can be true, you can find that you will find cheaper here, BUT the mileage is going to be high and have a very low spec.

That car was taken in from CarGiant.co.uk, have a look at this one
    http://www.cargiant.co.uk/cars/search3.asp?Id=272323

You will do very well to find a nice 2003 A4 for 23k though.

my calcs

7,999 (asking price) * 1.46066 (if you are lucky) = 11,683.80

don't know if you'd get a much of a discount on the asking price - whay yas think?

11,683.80 + 4504 (vr) = 16187.8

so add on RAC check, flights, ferry, diesel etc you are talking 17000 for a car that is a year older and has more miles... so savings of two grand

I'd probably be swayed. Possibly best to pick up something like this from a private sale though?

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Saw a '04 325CI Sports Coupe with leather seats, cruise control, M Pack wheels etc for £16,500. Approx. €25,000 after conversion to Euro. VRT is €11,484. Add in costs of getting the car home and you're looking at approx. €37,000. Same car in Ireland is approx. €47,000. That's a €10,000 saving. You could drive it for a year and still make a profit on it :)

Yip that is true, A mate of min was looking @ a nice Celica on that site also.
    I would buy Private but to be honest I would prob trust myself more buying through a garage

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

m_stan wrote:
    Seems like I went wrong by saying it was a 5 door. My bad.

Oh, and my comment about the system 'sucking' wasn't to be taken too literally, and either way I now take it back since it was my error :))

thanks lads

I kind of guessed that when you spelt it "CRT";)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

yop wrote:
    I would buy Private but to be honest I would prob trust myself more buying through a garage

One thing I've never (yet) understood with people who buy second-hand in the UK: what are you going to do with the car if it breaks down here, with your warranty from a garage that's 200 miles and a ferry ride away? :confused:

Better off with biding your time, spotting the low-miles pearler (Autotrader.co.uk is your friend) & getting a full RAC/HPI check on a private sale. 'Tis no worse than buying private here - in fact probably better ;) with the spec and savings :) - and you're not fattening the UK dealer's margin either.

That is true Ambro, never looked at it that way!!

• Advertisement

ambro25 wrote:
    One thing I've never (yet) understood with people who buy second-hand in the UK: what are you going to do with the car if it breaks down here, with your warranty from a garage that's 200 miles and a ferry ride away? :confused:

LOL, says he who has both his cars serviced in the UK every year :p

Also, I'd say the vast majority of cars do not break down during the warranty period

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

ambro25 wrote:

Better off with biding your time, spotting the low-miles pearler (Autotrader.co.uk is your friend) & getting a full RAC/HPI check on a private sale. 'Tis no worse than buying private here - in fact probably better ;) with the spec and savings :) - and you're not fattening the UK dealer's margin either.

if its got an manufacturers warranty its valid all over europe. Some cars in UK come wiht 3-5 years manufacturers warranty for e.g the hyundai i think. thats valid over here. I had 2 yerars with my mondy i bought in Bristol, i had to hgave a boot solenoid replaced....drop it into ford dealer galway, fixed no charge...as it was a manufactureres warranty..

unkel wrote:
    LOL, says he who has both his cars serviced in the UK every year :p

Yes, but there is no warranty attached to a service, is there? We're talking about car purchase in this thread, and I have asked a query/made a point about UK dealer warranty (@ tred) not manufacturer warranty, which I know is pan-european and is not an issue if you're buying nearly new or, well, still under manufacturer warranty.

I get my cars serviced in the UK because -

(1) the Scoob spends half the year there, and Scoob Dublin (Bray) wanted to charge me at least €1500 for a 60k service, when Scoob Sheffield charges me £300 for the exact same service and then €300 for changing a couple of brake pads when Scoob Sheffield charged me £30 a month later :mad:

(2) I've had the MX5 serviced (a very basic one at that) once by Europa and I wasn't impressed by any of the service, the quality of the work, or the bill that came with it, and I trust my UK supplying (main) dealer, who sold it new to the first owner in '98 and to us as second owners and where the car has had every single service to date (except for that Europa one). Not to mention it's a damn enjoyable ride from Dublin to Doncaster by road in the summer, with the top down :p

So, after my mini-rant, the question remains: if you buy a car from Joe Bloggs Cars in Birmingham with a 3 months warranty and it breaks down in IE a month later (and breaks down enough not to be able to go back to Joe Bloggs Cars in Birmingham for a fix), wtf do you do with your "UK dealer warranty"? You think he's going to foot the IE repair bill? Just see my Scoob (factual) example above ;)

back @ ya unkel :p

ambro25 wrote:
    back @ ya unkel :p

Nah, was only trying to make the point that the probability the car has to go back to the UK (and is not driveable) for a dealer warranty repair is slim. I'm confident most Irish buyers would weigh up this risk when buying over there

Fair enough, but it doesn't detract from the fact that the biggest savings (on VRT) to be made from buying in the UK (i.e. where it makes financial sense, all things considered), are to be made on cars that are usually (i) outside manufacturer warranty, (ii) more often than not of a mileage (60-70k+) where 'big' things (clutch/gearbox/rolling train parts/etc.) can and will go wrong and (iii) wherein availing of a UK dealer warranty once in IE would be a logistical problem.

I think that all I was noting, is that if you're going to import a second-hand car from the UK, you're best considering buying "private with the trimmings" (HPI/RAC inspec/etc.) rather than buying from a UK dealer (no real advantages over a private sale, other than warranty - but then back to my point).

Is all :)

ambro25 wrote:
    you're best considering buying "private with the trimmings" (HPI/RAC inspec/etc.) rather than buying from a UK dealer (no real advantages over a private sale, other than warranty - but then back to my point).

Good point :)

The further away from the dealer in those circumstances, the less the warranty is worth. True too for a Dublin buyer buying from a dealer in Cork
    ambro25 wrote:
    the biggest savings (on VRT) to be made from buying in the UK (i.e. where it makes financial sense, all things considered), are to be made on cars that are usually (i) outside manufacturer warranty, (ii) more often than not of a mileage (60-70k+) where 'big' things (clutch/gearbox/rolling train parts/etc.) can and will go wrong

Absolutely. I would prefer to rely on checking out the car thoroughly (including usually full UK main dealer service history) compared to relying on any dealer warranty

Then again I would typically find myself placed as the 4th owner of a car, with the 3rd owner the one that imported the car from the UK (exactly what happened with my current car). By the time the milkfloats I like are affordable to me (at least 7 years old), there's hardly a point in importing them myself as they'd nearly be cheaper over here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

yop wrote:

did they have any difficulties importing from the UK? I am going to be buying a new car in June, just saving up for VRT now. I'll be going over to the UK, did you friends buy private or off a dealer?

Both of dealers, one of them has a mate who brings in cars & I think that he bought it at a dealers.

I was thinking, if we can bring in an AUDI from the UK, would it be possible to get a cheaper RHD from Germany or Switzerland??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

yop wrote:
    I was thinking, if we can bring in an AUDI from the UK, would it be possible to get a cheaper RHD from Germany or Switzerland??

ah im sure you could, but you'd be bringing a LHD car back, plus you'd have to deal with the language barrier, to much hassle imo unless you would be getting a great deal

• Advertisement

Aye, wonder do the do the RHD, probably hard to get 2nd hand

Advertisement