Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sewage treatment Plant

Options
  • 02-03-2006 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Can anyone give me some advice on purchasing a treatment plant for a 2800 ft2 home. there are so many options out there I dont know which is best and worth the money.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 quattfa3

The number of bedrooms and their "person equivalent" is relavant when specifying systems. You may also have to satisfy local authority requirements if it's a change of use (eg extension of over 40m2).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

I looked at several when we were getting our house built last year.
    Ended up going for Envirocare P6 (for 6 people). They all work on a similar principal of aerating the sewage to let bacteria grow. Some are concrete - the Envirocare is plastic. My main reasons were reasonable price (not the cheapest nor the dearest) , good initial communication and site visit and help supervision of install was included in price. Also - owned by Kingspan so probably less likely to go bust . There are lots of small companies offering these plants - but will they be around in 3 years?

http://self-build-in-ireland.blogspot.com

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭charliecon

I used the BAF Oakstown system ,its designed for 10 people I think .It consists of two concrete tanks with a capacity of 4000 litres, cost was 4,800 euro delivered ,installed and commissioned. I was responsible for getting the hole dug and the percolation drains done.I can't comment on its reliability yet as its only in a month but I do know people who have it and are pretty satisfied.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭siralan

Hi there

I also used the afore mentioned Oakstown system. They offer a free site consultancy service which proved very useful. Their engineer Paddy Hagan called to site beforehand and took us through the complete procedure. He was very thorough in his explanation of both the system itself and the percolation area. This was very re-assuring as we had received a similar visit from a Bord na Mona agent whose knowledge was pretty basic and his recommendations regarding percolation very limited! The running cost of this system is very low as well which also attracted me to it

I also paid €4,200 + vat I think which seemed reasonable as I could not find a larger system on the Irish market. Whoever you choose to deal with dont consider plastic as my sister replaced a plastic system about 2 years ago when it actually popped up out of the ground 3 months after being installed due to what the company described as 'a high water table' I dont think this could happen with a concrete system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I went with the EPS system for domestic installations. Dunno how many people it'll service but it's on a 5 bedroom house.

Link here.

Was the cheapest by a bit at the time which was about 3 years ago. No problems whatever.

• Advertisement
Advertisement