Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

volvo s40 2.0d engine sound

Options
  • 02-03-2006 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

hi
    i have a 2006 volvo s40 2.0d se . its only a 3 weeks old and 1400km on the clock.

when i start the car from cold its sounds perfect no problems

however when the engine warms up and car is stopped and idling i can hear a sorta high pitched sound, its not that loud.

when i tip the accelerator a small bit the sound goes away, but when i let the car idle sound comes back.

i opened the bonnet and it seems like it is coming from the belts on the left hand side of the car, they all look fine

any ideas what this could be??

is this normal?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Dealer job. It's new and under warranty. Ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Probably just the tension on the one of the auxillary drive belts (driving one or more of the alternator, power steering, aircon compressor, water pump). It'll take about 5 minutes for a dealer to sort.

If you must check the belt yourself, they should be tensioned such that you can twist the belt about 1/4 turn by hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

EIN wrote:
    hi
    i have a 2006 volvo s40 2.0d se . its only a 3 weeks old and 1400km on the clock.

when i start the car from cold its sounds perfect no problems

however when the engine warms up and car is stopped and idling i can hear a sorta high pitched sound, its not that loud.

when i tip the accelerator a small bit the sound goes away, but when i let the car idle sound comes back.

i opened the bonnet and it seems like it is coming from the belts on the left hand side of the car, they all look fine

any ideas what this could be??

is this normal?

Most new cars have a free dealer check at about 2k or 3k km in order to make sure the new car is running ok. Have them check this noise out. It may be just something small that needs adjusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

yeah, don't touch it yourself. let the dealer loook at it

Advertisement