Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mains supply/shower

Options
  • 02-03-2006 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I'm just wondering about getting a downstairs electric shower installed. I live in Dublin, and I'm wondering is the mains supply better pressure wise than the tank fed water. Also, what sort of shower model should I get to suit this?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 seanmc

hi,

I think most electric showers actually say not to connect to a mains system so if that's the case you don't really have a choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭O-Ninio

A Triton T80 will work off the mains and costs about 200 notes including VAT

It really depends on water pressure in your area it has definately dropped in Dublin inrecent years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

It would be a lot better if you just installed a shower (such as a Triton T90i) that runs off the tank. These have a pump to boost the pressure. This guarentees you have a constant supply, the only caveat is that the tank needs to be large to cope with the volume of water that the shower uses. Too small a tank and the shower will run dry.

The other thing is the power supply. The shower will easily use up to 40Amps. So when wireing in the cable to the fuse box, fit a double pole, 40Amp R.C.D. This will trip immediatly in the event of a short or fault with the shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ruicosta10

Thanks for the replies... hmmm... what marks out the triton t80 as being suitable for the mains though? Do you have one in yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

The ~T80 is designed for higher pressure from mains.
    Why not steer clear of an electric shower ( the pressure in general from them is'nt great) and go for a pumped shoer instead, providing you have heated water of course

• Advertisement

Well, TBH, using the immersion EVERY time for a shower is so aggravating, I'd prefer just using this method if possible. We have a T90 upstairs already, but with 5 of us, it's a little difficult in the morning to survive with just the one. Plus, the tank would be drained surely if two electric showers are taking from the attic tank supply.

What sort of pressure d'ya reckon I could expect from a T80 (if that's the only one that would work) off the mains? If it's any indication, (and it's probably not) the kitchen sink seems to have very decent pressure, but it's probably like that everywhere in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

You will have problems if you already have an electric shower. You have two options then. Get 3 phase installed ( Huge Money ) or get an automatic changerover switch ( This allows only one shower to be used at a time )
    Basically you can't have two electric shower running on an ordinary domestic supply at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Do you not have the water timed to come on in the morning (i.e. with the heating?)
    Thats what we did at home for years and there were 6 of us getting ready.
    As long as noone is a water baby its fine.

@ Greebo: Sure we do, but the hot water runs out very quickly, we're on oil heating, not sure what difference that makes in this particular case...

So anyway, the general consensus would be that there is no chance of hooking up the mains supply to an electric shower then, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

There is a solution to the second shower, as suggested you can get a priority switch that will ensure only one shower is on at any given time. Alternatively you can have the ESB change the main fuse and tails to increase the amp to accommodate two shower. I think this is a an ESB alternative to a 3 phase supplyr This was mentioned already on a different thread.

If you are getting another shower, i'd strongly suggest getting a second tank dedicated to the two shower only.

You original question about pressure is a non issue because of the drop from you storage tank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I have a Triton T80i running off the mains for the last 10yrs. They're fine if the water pressure is up...once it drops, forget about using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

I have two Triton T80's connected directly to the mains supply without any problems whatsoever, our mains pressure is good, but as Lex said, if the pressure drops very low it could cause a problem, saying that I have only had it happen to me twice and the only problem I had was that I couldn't get the water temperature right. You should visit Triton's UK web site, loads & loads of information to download, from what I remember Triton recommends that the T80 IS connected to a mains supply, as long as you have sufficient pressure, and the pressure they recommend was not very high, memory serving me right.

Thanks people... looks like the T80 it is then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

There is a solution to the second shower, as suggested you can get a priority switch that will ensure only one shower is on at any given time. Alternatively you can have the ESB change the main fuse and tails to increase the amp to accommodate two shower. I think this is a an ESB alternative to a 3 phase supplyr This was mentioned already on a different thread.

If you are getting another shower, i'd strongly suggest getting a second tank dedicated to the two shower only.

You original question about pressure is a non issue because of the drop from you storage tank
    the esb provide an enhanced supply(which it says is for 2 showers ) for new builds anyway for an additional 400 yo-yos .it's an 80amp single phase supply but i couldn't get any info from reci or the esb on the main fusing and tails for this . it may be in the newest "esb code of practice book".i'll check it or maybe someone knows .the availability of that type of service if it suits that purpose would depend on the local supply conditions i'm sure.most people seem to go for mixers and pumps if there's more than one shower or a controller for two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭O-Ninio

Eurosales in Ringsend behind the library do Triton T80s for €206 inc. VAT got one today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

ruicosta10 wrote:
    Plus, the tank would be drained surely if two electric showers are taking from the attic tank supply.

You could install an additional tank in the attic and connect them with a large pipe at the bottom. This will double the capacity of the cold water system, you could connect your second shower to the second tank, also go for the higher capacity in KW with your shower, you will appriciate the extra hot water you get this time of year :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

You will have problems if you already have an electric shower. You have two options then. Get 3 phase installed ( Huge Money ) or get an automatic changerover switch ( This allows only one shower to be used at a time )
    Basically you can't have two electric shower running on an ordinary domestic supply at the same time
    Not quite true. We have 3 electric showers installed upstairs, all from the one tank. Our storage tank is basicly two smaller ones connected together. They are about 1.5 high, 1m wide and 2.5 long. So for us, the water supply is not a problem.

The electricity is standard 63A single phase and we have never had any problems running two showers at the same time, which often happens.

My cousins have two power showers and always use the two at the same time, both are fed from the same tank which is an average size. The amount of water depends on how long you use the showers for. So I would suggest you go with the T80 or get a T90 and a second water tank (which you can connect to the first one). But electricity should not be a problem. In fact the only time I noticed a problem with too many showers in one house was at our neighbours. They had 6 electric showers on single phase 63A. The fuse box just exploded one day. I went up there and the cover was completly black inside with copper pieces melted into the plastic :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

Not quite true. We have 3 electric showers installed upstairs, all from the one tank. Our storage tank is basicly two smaller ones connected together. They are about 1.5 high, 1m wide and 2.5 long. So for us, the water supply is not a problem.

The electricity is standard 63A single phase and we have never had any problems running two showers at the same time, which often happens.

My cousins have two power showers and always use the two at the same time, both are fed from the same tank which is an average size. The amount of water depends on how long you use the showers for. So I would suggest you go with the T80 or get a T90 and a second water tank (which you can connect to the first one). But electricity should not be a problem. In fact the only time I noticed a problem with too many showers in one house was at our neighbours. They had 6 electric showers on single phase 63A. The fuse box just exploded one day. I went up there and the cover was completly black inside with copper pieces melted into the plastic :eek:
    you'll usually get away with two showers running intermittently together on a 63a sp supply but it's not recommended as it overloads the mains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 The Iba

Hi,

Ive been reading the posts above and Im getting a little confused - so I was wondering if someone could clarify for me.

A T80SI runs from the mains - but living in Dublin the pressure is too weak and also it is not allowed to take from the mains?

A T90SI runs from the attic tank and comes with a pump - however when I look at the Triton web site the T90 just looks like a T80 sideways?

So at the end of the day which shower do I buy, an electric one or a pumped electric one, where and which Triton Model Please

Regards

Iba

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

The lba

For what its worth, I would and have gone for the Triton T90SI, you can't go wrong. I have two of them in my house with a priority switch to ensure only one is activated at any given time. Simple and no problem to install.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Is getting a second tank in the attic "married" to the existing out of the question ? that way you can install one electric shower and the second could work directly off the hot water cylinder with no loss in pressure.

Advertisement