Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how many users on a netopia DSL modem?

Options
  • 02-03-2006 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A quick queston. Either using a 1 or 4 port and expanding with a 10/100 switch, how many PCs could a netopia DSL modem support without
    bottlenecks? As far as I know, they only do DHCP in the 192.168.* range, so 253 hosts in theory...would you advise this?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

Advide would be netopia setup as modem with a fiewwall inside it and that into a switch - you limits would then be on the amount of nodes your firewall supports and of course the more users usings the internet the slower it get's.

niote: Netopias can give out 10.X.X.x if wanted on the lan side

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

So a windows 2k server/smoothwall acting as a DHCP server would probably be a better solution if the number of clients were to rise?

I am just curious as to the capability of the netopia modems.

Any other comments or experiences would be good

thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭bishopLEN

In my experience with one of the Netopia routers, I had problems having more that 5/6 PPP connections.
    Just thought I might mention that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

what sort of problems?

BTW max clients I had on a netopia: 8. No problems.

darragh

Advertisement